PDA

View Full Version : Can You reset the Computer?

SuperG
03-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Is there a procedure to reset the computer? I turned on the A/C for the first time in a long time and at idle, the rpm's will fluctuate between a 1000 and 200...

Can I simply unplug the battery, plug it back in, start the car and run the A/C for around 30 seconds? That is (more or less) what I can do with my SHO...

Thanks!

bluebyu
03-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Is the check engine light on? I dont know much about the computers but it wouldnt hurt to try disconnecting the battery. Also, If you can, Take it to an advance auto parts or auto zone, they can check the OBD2 with the code reader they have available. It may or may not tell you anything, but its worth a shot.:thumbsup: And Im sure if you wait a little longer and let more folks on here read this thread they may know exactly whats wrong. There are tons of info on this site and people always wanting to help.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SuperG
03-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Is the check engine light on? I dont know much about the computers but it wouldnt hurt to try disconnecting the battery. Also, If you can, Take it to an advance auto parts or auto zone, they can check the OBD2 with the code reader they have available. It may or may not tell you anything, but its worth a shot.:thumbsup: And Im sure if you wait a little longer and let more folks on here read this thread they may know exactly whats wrong. There are tons of info on this site and people always wanting to help.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Oh definitely...people here are VERY helpful. The only code I am getting is my O2 sensor (no cats - MILS still needs to be installed). I just haven't had a chance to pop the hood yet...

Firme
03-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Gary, to reset it, disconnect the negative battery terminal, sometimes a few minutes works, but I would recommend at least 30 minutes and I would hit the brake pedal a few times as some say it drains any reserve power left in the cap somewhere.

SuperG
03-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Gary, to reset it, disconnect the negative battery terminal, sometimes a few minutes works, but I would recommend at least 30 minutes and I would hit the brake pedal a few times as some say it drains any reserve power left in the cap somewhere.
Thanks, I'll give that a try today and we'll see what happens.

ausie
03-30-2006, 07:18 AM
yep, 30minutes or more will do it. Once you reconnect it, only turn the key to the on position but not all the way to the start position. Wait for all the guages to max out and return to normal. If you have a CD disk changer, it will seek out all the locations for disks which is normal. Then start it up. Let the car idle for about 5 to 15 minutes before turning on the AC or dirving. Once (or if) the idle returns to nominal speed take it for a drive (some stop and go) and then turn on the AC for the same duration. It may take about 10 starts and runs before any ODBII codes are triggered if there is an issue. If you have a code scanner, you can read codes before the battery dump and reset them without disconnecting the battery. However, Code scanners will not dump the EEPROM that stores the run time parameters that the ECU collects and uses to manage A/F corrections and other functional stuff (timming retard, IAC control, etc...). Idle speeds at 1000 are normal but dropping all the way to 200 may not be. Sounds almost as it the IAC is operating like a slug or the battery voltage may be on the weak side. IF you need to check battery voltage, best to measure it with the car running to see if the alternator is doing its job (should read around 14V, if well under 12v then there is a problem unless you are measuring it when the car is being started which will drop the voltage considerably until it kicks over which is due to the large current draw from the starter motor).