PDA

View Full Version : New owner.

downtime
04-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Hello all. I recently got my hands on a '98 Cobra and have a few questions.
1. Occasionally when in reverse I hear a rather disturbing popping sound. It seems to get faster with speed. A nice "pop, pop, pop" when I just begin to move in reverse is about as good as I can describe it.

2. I've read a few posts about a little "slop" in the rear. Should I be able to grab the driveshaft and twist it by hand. Resulting in a clunk from inside the rear end? Could this have anything to do with #1 above.

3. Headlights. Is there an easy way to adjust them?

4. The rear suspension squeaks like mad with slight movements. Could this be the rear control arm bushings? Thats where it seems to be coming from.

5. A local (trusted) alignment shop recommended replacing the steering rack. Where should I go to get a replacement?

Overall I think she's in pretty good shape. One owner 116k miles and unmolested whith the exception of Flowmaster mufflers,K&N filter, and fat boy damage to the drivers seat (read broken seat). I've already put in a UPR shifter and have a new set of plugs waiting for the weekend. Any suggestions for things to change or inspect are welcomed.

EThorpe
04-06-2006, 01:00 AM
2. I've read a few posts about a little "slop" in the rear. Should I be able to grab the driveshaft and twist it by hand. Resulting in a clunk from inside the rear end? Could this have anything to do with #1 above.Yes, Not really a good thing if there's that much slop, better look into that asap.

4. The rear suspension squeaks like mad with slight movements. Could this be the rear control arm bushings? Thats where it seems to be coming from.
It could be, here's something to checkout first that my 98 Cobra had. Whare the E-Brake cables come through the chassis and go through the cable mounts(the things that pin it up) would go dry and the cable would rub causing squeeks. Lube these with some slicone spay., should be two of theim, one at the front of the rear wheel and another by the front of the rear brake calibur.

Good Luck, Hope that helps a little

downtime
04-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna try and get into it more this weekend.

SNAKEYE
04-08-2006, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=downtime]Hello all. I recently got my hands on a '98 Cobra and have a few questions.

5. A local (trusted) alignment shop recommended replacing the steering rack.

Why?
Is it noisey? Is it leaking? If not leave it alone. If the tie rod end fittngs are worn, replace them or the entire tie rod assembly.