PDA

View Full Version : just heard something about a recall

Dave B.
04-11-2006, 05:59 PM
anyone else hear this??? whats the deal if you know?

budjrfan
04-11-2006, 06:19 PM
anyone else hear this??? whats the deal if you know?
guys running @ 411 could have used that last week.
yes, it happened!!! thanks to some pretty savy driving he was able to avoid a really bad situation.
he said 'the pedal got stuck in the carpet...it's a common problem'
and i'm like, 'you sh#*ing me?' :eek:

don't wait for a notice...fix it yourself now.

InfamousSVT
04-11-2006, 06:27 PM
I actually cut my carpet out underneath the pedal. Some people have taken the slack out of the pedal with a poly bushing, but I did some research on it and some have snapped the throttle cable like that, so I just cut the carpet. :thumbsup:

mrpork
04-11-2006, 06:59 PM
what is this about a recall is it on 04svt cobras and if so what should i do to fix the problem my self seeing as i cant go to a dealer with my mods:(

1-QIK-SNK
04-11-2006, 07:06 PM
What years of cobra's are affected?

tazzracing1
04-11-2006, 07:14 PM
This is on 03 and 04 cobras.

mrpork
04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
well what is the recall?

budjrfan
04-11-2006, 10:50 PM
well what is the recall?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060411/ap_on_bi_ge/ford_mustang_recall

ORANGE CRUSH
04-11-2006, 11:47 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060411/ap_on_bi_ge/ford_mustang_recall
Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

ausie
04-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Too late for me since after having the pedal stick twice (once at the track at the end of the quarter and she kept going, made for a sticky situation). I already cut out the carpet and tucked it in under the rubber firewall mat which was behind the carpet. I have plans to replace the stock acclelerator assembly and put in new carpet. I wish I did not cut the carpet but can live with it the way it is for now.

SVTcobra04
04-19-2006, 06:01 PM
was it hard to get it unstuck and is it onyl at WOT that it will stick? and could someone who has cut the carpet to fix the problem post a pic, or how/where to do it? thanks :)

ausie
04-20-2006, 06:41 AM
was it hard to get it unstuck and is it onyl at WOT that it will stick? and could someone who has cut the carpet to fix the problem post a pic, or how/where to do it? thanks :)
IF the carpet is untouched, you can easily get the throttle to hang if you stand on the accelerator (basically mash it all the way to the floor). It is not too difficult to get it unstuck but could lead to issues if you are flat out flying. Typically the back bottom portion of the pedal will hang on the carpet where ford put a small cutout or notch. The first time I attempted to fix the issue I made it worse. The accelerator pedal got burried under the carpet and it could not be freed until after getting out of the car. After that ordeal I removed all of the carpet directly below all pedals and tucked the remainder under the rubber firewall mat. That worked but not the best solution since now I want to replace the carpet and start from square one.

SVTcobra04
04-20-2006, 04:17 PM
thnx ausie :)

this may seem liek a stupid question but will it do the car any harm if while its completly off i push the gas pedal down to get a better idea of what i gotta do(where it hits)? thanks

ausie
04-22-2006, 09:51 AM
thnx ausie :)

this may seem liek a stupid question but will it do the car any harm if while its completly off i push the gas pedal down to get a better idea of what i gotta do(where it hits)? thanks
You should have no problems at all with the motor and ignition off (since our engines are fuel injected there will be no residual fuel dumping into the motor since there is no mechanical connection to the throttle plate and injectors.

To get it to stick, you almost have to stand on it, push it all the way to the floor and hold it there for a few seconds. (some immagination may help if you picture wanting to get that extra micron of throttle to beat a z06 Vett). The only possible damage may be to the throttle arm if you bend it. It is on the flimsy side. I would not recommed cutting the carpet as that may make the the throttle issue worse. There may be a better solution than cutting the carpet.

SVTcobra04
04-24-2006, 12:03 AM
You should have no problems at all with the motor and ignition off (since our engines are fuel injected there will be no residual fuel dumping into the motor since there is no mechanical connection to the throttle plate and injectors.

To get it to stick, you almost have to stand on it, push it all the way to the floor and hold it there for a few seconds. (some immagination may help if you picture wanting to get that extra micron of throttle to beat a z06 Vett). The only possible damage may be to the throttle arm if you bend it. It is on the flimsy side. I would not recommed cutting the carpet as that may make the the throttle issue worse. There may be a better solution than cutting the carpet.

if i take it to the dealer can they fix it?without cutting the carpet.

RF Cobra
04-25-2006, 01:16 PM
if i take it to the dealer can they fix it?without cutting the carpet.
Dealership will not cut the carpet to do the recall fix.

They will install a "shield" that will prevent the pedal from getting stuck. You will have to make an appointment to have it done as Ford is requiring the dealers to order the part as needed since they only made enough to match actual production to minimize their costs.

SVTcobra04
04-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Dealership will not cut the carpet to do the recall fix.

They will install a "shield" that will prevent the pedal from getting stuck. You will have to make an appointment to have it done as Ford is requiring the dealers to order the part as needed since they only made enough to match actual production to minimize their costs.

is it like a peice of sheetmetal? could i just cut a peice of sheetmetal and use some sheet metal screws to screw it down?(there like 1/2 in long)

RF Cobra
04-25-2006, 10:43 PM
is it like a peice of sheetmetal? could i just cut a peice of sheetmetal and use some sheet metal screws to screw it down?(there like 1/2 in long)
I haven't seen the piece they will be using, probably plastic though. Why not just let them do the recall fix so you don't have to worry about it?

Cobra4me
04-30-2006, 08:15 PM
I received my recall letter from Ford on Saturday. I will try to get it installed first of week and let everybody know about this fix

blk04cobra1
05-01-2006, 10:08 AM
I got it...im tempted to tow it to Ford...wonder how they will react when I pull in...any takers on if they notice it's not the stock block????????? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

InfamousSVT
05-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I received my recall letter from Ford on Saturday. I will try to get it installed first of week and let everybody know about this fix
So how did the recall go?? I got my letter in the mail, but just trashed it. :)

RF Cobra
05-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I got it...im tempted to tow it to Ford...wonder how they will react when I pull in...any takers on if they notice it's not the stock block????????? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sadly, depending on where you take it they will probably tell you that you have a nice looking Mustang GT. :rolleyes:

Cobra4me
05-04-2006, 05:29 PM
So how did the recall go?? I got my letter in the mail, but just trashed it. :)idiots at Armstrong ford, I called Mon to set an appointment for wed. took the car early on wed. Guess what morons didn't have the part had to order to come from greensboro and they supposed to call me, no call as of late thurs

ausie
05-05-2006, 07:16 AM
The ford parts service may be slow in response. They typically send you a memo card in the mail when parts come in. Best to call them since it only takes a few days to ship out the parts. It seems that most are changing their system to an order by need basis.

beerkat
05-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Here is a link to the install of the fix. My local non-svt dealer is doing them.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...df?d=1146586751 (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/attachments/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/23866-carpet-recall-questions-shield-install.pdf?d=1146586751)

ghammed22
05-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I took mine into the dealer last week and they added the shield. It is a piece of black plastic attached to the floorboard behind the pedal. The part looks as if it belongs and blends in nicely with the carpet. No loss of accelerator travel. So you should still be able to punch it to the floor. (Pedal to the plastic...lol).

FactoryFreak197
05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I actually cut my carpet out underneath the pedal. Some people have taken the slack out of the pedal with a poly bushing, but I did some research on it and some have snapped the throttle cable like that, so I just cut the carpet. :thumbsup:
I did the same thing, the shop dynoing mine got so aggravated, of the pedal getting stuck in the carpet, that he cut the carpet:D

Cobra4me
05-13-2006, 07:13 PM
I took mine into the dealer last week and they added the shield. It is a piece of black plastic attached to the floorboard behind the pedal. The part looks as if it belongs and blends in nicely with the carpet. No loss of accelerator travel. So you should still be able to punch it to the floor. (Pedal to the plastic...lol).I also had mine completed last week, the piece is not plastic but metal, or at least in my case