PDA

View Full Version : Question about T-56

Cobra G
04-14-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking about changing the oil in it and I want to use Amsoil. I was told to make sure I get Amsoil ATF that that is what the T-56 takes even though its automatic tranny fluid. Is this true?

03 cobra toy
04-14-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm thinking about changing the oil in it and I want to use Amsoil. I was told to make sure I get Amsoil ATF that that is what the T-56 takes even though its automatic tranny fluid. Is this true?

I have had great luck with Red Line MTL oil in the T56. I'm not sure about Amsoil ATF...

jimmysidecarr
04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Yet another success story...

I have had fantastic results from Royal Purple Syncromax...

My cold 2/3 shift improvement was astounding!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html

PS: David you need to give this stuff a try on the next change :thumbsup:

Edit...
Some reviews...

http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=1228

http://m3.madrussian.net/review_rp_tranny_fluid.shtml

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=443411&postcount=1

Cobra G
04-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, but that doesn't really answer my question.

ldo79
04-15-2006, 04:45 PM
For Amsoil your want: T56 Dexron III/Mercon ATF (except Dodge SRT-10 truck and Dodge Viper)

http://www.amsoil.com/products/transmission/transfluid_rec.aspx

From the Redline website regarding their Mustang PowerPack:

Mustang Cobra (fits 1999-01 and 2003-04 with manual trans.) includes 6 quarts of 5W20 motor oil, 4 quarts of D4 ATF for the transmission, 2 quarts of 75W140 gear oil for the differential, 2 bottles of WaterWetter for the radiator, 1 bottle of SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner, a sticker kit, and a Red Line Oil embroidered hat.

Regards,
ldo79

jimmysidecarr
04-16-2006, 07:09 PM
The T56 takes automatic trans fluid.
Specificaly ..... Mercon(Ford)/Dexron III(GM)...

Many oil companies have both Dino and synthetic versions of Mercon/DexronIII...

Many people have had good results from using a synthetic version of this fluid.

The syncro/blocker rings have a carbon fiber friction material on them that reacts and swells with some brands of synth fluid... This can cause some shifting issues.
The intent of this material is to speed up the spinning of the gear prior to engagement... kind of like a clutch pack in an automatic... without the hydraulic clamping force...

Of the above choices...
I believe Royal Purple is the only one to go to the trouble of making a dedicated fluid for manual transmissions that take Mercon/DexronIII. It is only for that application... not for automatics. It's called Syncromax. They have other stuff for the automatics.

That's what I use... Syncromax

You can use anything that meets the Mercon/DexronIII spec... Dino or Synth.

I would do a little search for the products you are considering... to see if they are the ones that got good results and no complications...

I don't get a paycheck from Royal Purple... I just have been very happy with the results. :thumbsup:

Cobra G
04-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Jimmy you are the man. I will definately look into anything before doing anything drastic. I did take your advice and changed my oil with Royal Purple and so far she loves it. I will most likely go with the Syncromax, however a buddy of mine has 4 quarts of Amsoil ATF and was willing to just give them to me. Thanks again for your help and thank you ldo79 as well.:thumbsup:
The T56 takes automatic trans fluid.
Specificaly ..... Mercon(Ford)/Dexron III(GM)...

Many oil companies have both Dino and synthetic versions of Mercon/DexronIII...

Many people have had good results from using a synthetic version of this fluid.

The syncro/blocker rings have a carbon fiber friction material on them that reacts and swells with some brands of synth fluid... This can cause some shifting issues.
The intent of this material is to speed up the spinning of the gear prior to engagement... kind of like a clutch pack in an automatic... without the hydraulic clamping force...

Of the above choices...
I believe Royal Purple is the only one to go to the trouble of making a dedicated fluid for manual transmissions that take Mercon/DexronIII. It is only for that application... not for automatics. It's called Syncromax. They have other stuff for the automatics.

That's what I use... Syncromax

You can use anything that meets the Mercon/DexronIII spec... Dino or Synth.

I would do a little search for the products you are considering... to see if they are the ones that got good results and no complications...

I don't get a paycheck from Royal Purple... I just have been very happy with the results. :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Amsoil is very good stuff!!!

And that is one hell of a deal!!!

I would be tempted to give it try... if it's the right version :doubt:

The web site confused me a little because of the MTF and ATF labels on the fluids available...

It might be a good opportunity for a three way tech write up...

Stock Dino Mercon/DexronIII

Free Amsoil ATF...(hopefully the right version)

and
Royal Purple Syncromax...

The most dramatic change was the cold 1/2 shift on my car...
And those cold shift days are behind us now...

I know for a fact many people have had good results for a non-Royal Purple fluid switch... I just don't remember which ones were which.

There was one version of Red Line that had some issues ... but the other did not...

D3??? I'm not sure...

I googled the $#!T! out of this topic before I did my change...
I spent 4 nights on it...

Yeah... I know....
I'm obsessive!!!

I'm lucky to have my wonderful Gail... she puts up with my CRAZYNESS!!!(since 75!!!)

Andy M
04-17-2006, 11:42 AM
I have been using and continue to use Royal Purple as well. I've never had any issues with my tranny other than normal wear on the clutch and throwout bearing, which is expected given how much track time my car has seen.

RP is great stuff!! :thumbsup: