PDA

View Full Version : New wheel/tire results

Bartman01
04-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Well, I can say that getting wider wheels and the 275s have dramatically improved the grip on this car. There are a few spots around town that I would always spin the tires - trying or not. The u-turn by my house is a good example. Before, any substantial acceleration and the car would be all over the road as I exited the turn - now it just sticks and goes.

Bad news - these Sumitomo tires had some feedback of 'flat spotting' when not used. I can verify this. If I let it sit for a week or so, the car drives like its on a bad dirt road until the tires warm up. Guess I just have to drive it more often (when I am in town). Good news is that the effect is not permanent, and takes at least a few days to happen - drove it today after just sitting 2-3 days and it was fine.

Can't wait to see what it does on the track...

Levi
04-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Glad to hear you’re happy with the new rims. They sure look sweet on the Cobra that is 4sure. :thumbsup:

I will have to replace at least three of the four 95R rims due to cracking around the lug holes. Looks like I may have Torq them down incorrectly, that is all I can think could have happened. It does not make much sense. I just hope I do not mess up the track rims or I am sunk.

Firme
04-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the update Bart!

I need to get me some 9in. wheels. I am probably going to try the Sumitomo tires next go around.

Oh, and as for the flat spots, you could always leave the car on stands when going out of town on business. :D

97CasperCobra
04-19-2006, 04:30 PM
I will have to replace at least three of the four 95R rims due to cracking around the lug holes. Looks like I may have Torq them down incorrectly, that is all I can think could have happened.

it's not that....the rims can't handle the G-forces produced by the Stan-mobile. :thumbsup:

Sucks though either way.... :(

Levi
04-20-2006, 10:21 AM
it's not that....the rims can't handle the G-forces produced by the Stan-mobile. :thumbsup:

Sucks though either way.... :(

That does sound good, G-forces. :cool: Just don't know for sure what’s up with the wheels, except that there are toasts. :mad:
I was hoping on getting another set for track to go with the show rims. This will screw up that idea for now.

97CasperCobra
04-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Just don't know for sure what’s up with the wheels, except that there are toasts. :mad:

you haven't had those R rims for long and they can't have THAT many miles on them. I'd call whoever you got them from....could be a bad casting problem. :dunno:

.....sorry for hijacking your thread Bart..... :D