PDA

View Full Version : MSR Houston Event this weekend

bluethunder
04-23-2006, 06:23 PM
WEll Me and Kathy wanted to Say thanks to everyone that helped her out. She enjoyed this more than anything else in a long time. She even told me after this event she's ready to try and tsackle Drag Racing again.
Again Thanks to Everyone that came out and especially to those who helped and encouraged Kathy this weekend. Count us In on the next event!!!!!!

I'll have some pictures and video up later!

Firme
04-23-2006, 07:28 PM
It was a great event. Many many thanks to Jerry at MSR for the SCMC hookup and David for thinking of it, that was a life saver :thumbsup: with that wreched heat. That facility has come a LONG way since we had our event there. I can't wait till November.

Got to say I had a great time hanging out with everyone this weekend, it was a blast. Everyone did great out there. The Cobra's DEFINITELY represented. It is great to see that Kathy had a good time, she did great for her first event, and improved dramatically. The 06 is a great handling car and will definitely provide many fun open track down the road.

93KingCobra
04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Glad to see everyone out there it was nice to hang out with all my buddy's.

Hope I can run with you guys next time.... :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
So how would you say all you "snake handlers"... did???

I have a pretty good idea... but I'd like to hear it from each of you...

Hopefully the typical "Conga Line" did not hold you up too bad.
I'm sure there HAD TO BE more than a few track savy Porsche Flyers out there...

Stan... How did you like the "stickies" at MSRH??? Adjusting brake points came quickly hopefully?? I'm sure the car had to feel great!!!

Henry... You had to be on a learning curve from hell!!! That's a lot of changes to adjust to in just one weekend!! I'll bet it felt like a totally different car!!!
Yet I have no doubt that car had to feel fantastic!!! Is it wierd running with all those light weights??? They can get away with such strange lines...

Carl... You had to be reeling from the whirlwind of obstacles that were popping up right and left just prior to this event.. You got some nice quality pieces plugged in and dialed in just in the nick of time.
Were you you happy with the feel??? Did the car change much from before???
Were you able to get comfortable with it quickly and really have fun with it???

David... I wanted to come sooo bad!!! Even though I could have gotten a deal from Larry I could not afford to wipe what's left of my tires and brake pads(just yet)...

I would love to have been a fly on the wall(pit wall in this instance) to listen in on the comments from the Porsche guys!!!

What was the facial reaction when your "instructor" saw the Hoosers and then the "ALL BUISNESS" interior of your "office"???
Perhaps you would be willing to share some of the commentary from those first few "tires warmed up" laps with us...
Did you get mired in the "Conga Line"... very long???
Or did you educate the "elite" on the finer arts of "PITCHING TWO TONS OF FUN"???

Joe... I'll bet Kathy had a blast!!! See if she will come on and describe the fun!!!

Thanks in advance EVERYONE for sharing some of your fun with me...

bluethunder
04-24-2006, 09:06 AM
This is Kathy Posting under Joey's name.

I want to thank David, Carl, Stan, Henry and Edmond for inviting me to attend last weekend's road racing event. I want to let you know that I think it was top on my list.

You all know I am a CPA, and other than Joey's entertainment events, my life is pretty boring!

The road racing event was like nothing I have ever experienced before. The adrenaline rush, the mental overload (as this was my first time), and the feeling of confidence by the end of the weekend has to be one of the most exciting and challenging things I have ever experienced in my life.

The first round, Sat morning left me with a feeling of being totally overwhelmed, mentally and physically. By Sat afternoon, the adrenaline rush started to take over, and by Sat night, I was totally exhausted.

Sunday morning, however, I started back with a new confidence and finished with a new found love for road racing!

I definately want to do it again! So again, thanks guys, for including me in this event and opening my eyes to the addiction of road racing.

Count me in on any other Events like this that you guys have or plan on attending.

jimmysidecarr
04-24-2006, 09:44 AM
This is Kathy Posting under Joey's name.

I want to thank David, Carl, Stan, Henry and Edmond for inviting me to attend last weekend's road racing event. I want to let you know that I think it was top on my list.

You all know I am a CPA, and other than Joey's entertainment events, my life is pretty boring!

The road racing event was like nothing I have ever experienced before. The adrenaline rush, the mental overload (as this was my first time), and the feeling of confidence by the end of the weekend has to be one of the most exciting and challenging things I have ever experienced in my life.

The first round, Sat morning left me with a feeling of being totally overwhelmed, mentally and physically. By Sat afternoon, the adrenaline rush started to take over, and by Sat night, I was totally exhausted.

Sunday morning, however, I started back with a new confidence and finished with a new found love for road racing!

I definately want to do it again! So again, thanks guys, for including me in this event and opening my eyes to the addiction of road racing.

Count me in on any other Events like this that you guys have or plan on attending.

Wow!!!
What an excellent description of the emotional roller coaster that is................. "Open Track"!!!
Thanks for sharing that!!! :thumbsup:

Levi
04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
First off thanks go out to Joey for getting me a gas cap; it took care of my gas leak. And it looks like you will need to take one of your mustangs from the straight liner line up and make it a open track car for the new track junky.

Kathy I am so glad you had a good time at your first event; it was great have you and Joey with us for the weekend.

Jimmy, the word for the weekend was Drifting. I had a little push and to adjust for that I had to hook the car in most of the turns, but it was SWEET. I have to say the 03 Gang handed me my hat and showed me the door. It was ever thing I could do just to keep them in sight. With the M&M set up under them, add a blower in the mix and LOOK OUT. They were the talk of the Porsche group, they said it was unreal that a car at that weight handled so well and made such mad power.

Mephisto
04-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I came home on Sunday and my 5 yr old son immediately asked if I won the race. I told him I did win and I asked my 7yr old daughter if she could tell me why I won. Her immediate response was "because you had fun and you were safe".

I would say the learning curve was pretty hellish. That was one of several factors that caused me to take a small jeep 4x4 expedition on Sat morning that coated my car and my instructor from top to bottom with mud.

Fortunately the Track Monkey (and Phil) were available to de-mud every inch of the car. I'm talking about mud inside the brake rotors.

After a couple of more sessions I gained quite a bit of cred with my instructor, who was excellent, and got moved up with the big kids.

I'm counting on Phil to post the mud pics.

jimmysidecarr
04-24-2006, 11:31 AM
"because you had fun and you were safe".

I love that!!! Smart girl!!

Glad you had fun.... I knew you would :rolleyes:

"Running with the big kids"
I love that one too!!! :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a good time for all and everyone made it home safely. :thumbsup:

Wish I could have been out there with you guys....I was thinking about it all weekend long. :(

Soon....VERY soon I'll join you guys in a track event. :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Joey Thanks for picking up the extra blower belt !! Kathy you did great !! practice practice practice..... :D

It was great to see everyone hanging out at the track and supporting all of us driving !! Thanks again !! :thumbsup:

After looking at the lap times from NASA AI and CMC I feel pretty good about running 1.55/1.56 lap times with a 4K pound pig.... ;)

I hope we have VIDEO soon....

Firme
04-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I hope we have VIDEO soon....

me too :D
In the meantime, David, occupy youself with this website ;)
http://www.g2xtreme.com/ The two coolest features, other than the fact that is uses GPS for lap time, is the track mapping, and the segment time. (http://www.g2xtreme.com/software/images/add_map_segment.jpg)

03 cobra toy
04-24-2006, 04:15 PM
me too :D
In the meantime, David, occupy youself with this website ;)
http://www.g2xtreme.com/ The two coolest features, other than the fact that is uses GPS for lap time,is the track mapping, and the segment time. (http://www.g2xtreme.com/software/images/add_map_segment.jpg)

Very nice :thumbsup:

Safety first :D

Hans $900 http://hansdevice.com/site/index.html

Racing seat $800

Finish cage $1200

jimmysidecarr
04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!
That is pretty damn impressive!!! Full interior, stereo, a/c, plush factory seats..... wow!! :p

--> http://americanironracing.com/news/p2_articleid/26/s//amp;

TRACK RECORDS*

MSRH 1:45.869 John George (AI) 02/05/2006
MSRH 1.53.371 Skip Smith (AIX) 02/04/2006
MSRH 1:50.780 Eric Varner (CMC) 02/05/2006

American Iron:
Driver Name: John George
RWHP329

RWTQ354

Min Weight 3168

Eric Varner

RWHP 226
RWT 273
Weight 3150

Levi
04-24-2006, 04:41 PM
I was clocked by the track monkey at a 2.02 lap time. :cool:

Mephisto
04-24-2006, 04:51 PM
The Monkey also claims I ran 2:02 to 2:04 (without the mud). I have several in-car laps to view and time.

Levi
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
The Monkey also claims I ran 2:02 to 2:04 (without the mud). I have several in-car laps to view and time.

By the end of the second day you had to be faster then that. :thumbsup:

Mephisto
04-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I don't know, all that slow traffic in Yellow group really held me up :rolleyes:
I also had to make sure Carl didn't fuse the front of his car to my tail ;)

93KingCobra
04-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm counting on Phil to post the mud pics.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/173/169/47779.jpg

97CasperCobra
04-24-2006, 09:56 PM
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/173/169/47779.jpg

:nope:

damn Cobra owners.....always trying to show up the other makes......:lol:

Mephisto
04-24-2006, 10:26 PM
I can only promise that the mud up under the car was way more impressive.

A review of what clearly seemed like my fastest session on the in-car video shows a 1:59, and a 2:00 with added instructor weight. Of course after the instructor got out of the car I got slower :(

Levi
04-25-2006, 10:40 AM
I can only promise that the mud up under the car was way more impressive.

A review of what clearly seemed like my fastest session on the in-car video shows a 1:59, and a 2:00 with added instructor weight. Of course after the instructor got out of the car I got slower :(

I just knew you where faster then a 2:02 or 2:04................... :thumbsup:

Mephisto
04-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I think what is most impressive is the Track Monkey telling me he thinks I ran a sub 2 minute lap without actually timing my laps.

Levi
04-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I think what is most impressive is the Track Monkey telling me he thinks I ran a sub 2 minute lap without actually timing my laps.

He has viewed alot of event to know. :woot:

I new due to the bloody nose I got from the shock wave I received after y'all past b b b bye meeeeeeee. :D

97CasperCobra
04-25-2006, 01:48 PM
I new due to the bloody nose I got from the shock wave I received after y'all past b b b bye meeeeeeee. :D

Hey Stan....how do you think you would have done with 4.10s??

All my rear end parts will be in this week so hopefully I can get it installed next week. :thumbsup:

Levi
04-25-2006, 02:10 PM

All my rear end parts will be in this week so hopefully I can get it installed next week. :thumbsup:

It would pull out from the turns FASTER and get up to speed QUICKER. :D

With the 3.27's I had lag all the way down the straights.
I was in second gear around the turns and third gear down the straights all around the track and at that it took to long to get to the best rpm range.
With the motor we have it really performed well and pullís good at 4.5 - 5 up to 6 - 6,500 rpm.
Even if you have to use third and fourth gear it will pull better and get up to speed faster. :woot:

97CasperCobra
04-25-2006, 04:25 PM
It would pull out from the turns FASTER and get up to speed QUICKER. :D

With the motor we have it really performed well and pullís good at 4.5 - 5 up to 6 - 6,500 rpm.
Even if you have to use third and fourth gear it will pull better and get up to speed faster. :woot:

good to hear....rear end is DONE so now it's time to work on the suspension.... :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
He has viewed alot of event to know. :woot:

Maybe at the next DE event I could drive your car and see how it feels..... ;)

03 cobra toy
04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
good to hear....rear end is DONE so now it's time to work on the suspension.... :thumbsup:

Installed?

97CasperCobra
04-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Installed?

delivered....gotta pick up a SVO girdle from Tommy Vaughn and take it to Slater's...probably next week sometime.

Levi
04-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Maybe at the next DE event I could drive your car and see how it feels..... ;)

Yes I would like you too. :thumbsup:

We where having so much fun at the this last one I just did not think about it at the time. :woot:

I was working on getting up to speed with the new R compound tires and trying to see if it was pushing or not. When we all got out on the track together it was pushing and I had to drift it in the turns just to keep y'all in sight.

97CasperCobra
04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
I had to drift it in the turns just to keep y'all in sight.

So I guess I should add a Kenne Bell to the track modification list...right under the Maximum Grip suspenion??? :p :cool:

Firme
04-25-2006, 06:06 PM
So I guess I should add a Kenne Bell to the track modification list...right under the Maximum Grip suspenion??? :p :cool:

I would opt for 3.73's, especially with a KB. David is still running stock 3.55 and he comes out of the corners like a freight train. 4.10 will keep you shifting all day long.

Levi
04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
The 03's need to be in another run group, it should go like Green, Blue, Yellow, Red, White and then Blower Cars or Supercharged run group. :rotf:

To run a blower there are to many thing to upgrade for open track just to keep the car running cool as well as the motor bottom end upgrades. :eek:

I would opt for 3.73's, especially with a KB. David is still running stock 3.55 and he comes out of the corners like a freight train. 4.10 will keep you shifting all day long.

I think that's the gear I will try first. 3.73's. :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
04-25-2006, 09:11 PM
The 03's need to be in another run group, it should go like Green, Blue, Yellow, Red, White and then Blower Cars or Supercharged run group. :rotf:

To run a blower there are to many thing to upgrade for open track just to keep the car running cool as well as the motor bottom end upgrades. :eek:

I think that's the gear I will try first. 3.73's. :thumbsup:

Come on you guys!!!

There will always be less modified Terminators around with varying driver ability... for y'all to dice with!!! Guys like me.. Todd... hopefully Phil someday soon... and many others... Phil and Todd both have shown a lot of promise in a very short period of time!!!
Hell!!! They built over 19 thousand of the crazy things!!!

Suspension mods Terminators are going to be PRETTY FAST... even if they don't have twin screws or smaller pulleys!!! If they do and they don't over heat then they are going to be even faster......and we can forget Dave... I don't even think a sponsored car would be able to catch him... He's THAT GOOD!!!
He's a freaking KILLER DRIVER!!! And He's got all the "right stuff" done to his car... and he knows how to tune out things that are wrong with the car's handling if it's acting up!!! I'm still learning things from Dave!!!

YEA BUT DAVE'S NOT NA!!!
At 2500 RPM he is making more torque than almost half the club!!!

Now if someone goes to a PD blower... yea the gear needs would change :thumbsup:

Stan... If you are pretty sure you are going to stay NA... I would think about maybe a 3.90 gear... It's in between the 3.73 and the 4.10... and Motive has it in the lightened ring sets. Yea I'm still on the rotating weight reduction kick!!!
The 3.73 will still be good... but I think a 3.90 would be even better... It could be argued that the 4.10 would be optimum...
AC427 on SVTP(Bruce) is running 4.10s in his long stroke NA 5.4 Y2K-R... Though I'm pretty sure it sees very little street duty anymore. He is very fast though... VERY FAST!!!

One of these days I'm going to drill out the rivets in my camber plates... and grab a little more negative camber!!! I'm still on the factory... "off the truck" alignment!!! They were supposed to align it after my little accident... but they never did drill out the rivets... so maybe it didn't need any changes or maybe they never even did it???

No doubt though a rubber bushing car needs all the camber it can get!!!

Anyway a well set up conservatively lightened Torque Arm SN95 32V Cobra with the MM goodies all the way around is no freaking joke!!!

You guys are on the right track in my opinion... :thumbsup:

Bartman01
04-26-2006, 12:15 AM
He's a freaking KILLER DRIVER!!!

What he said.

It was fun watching him pulling those last second passes around the Porsches.

Firme
04-26-2006, 09:21 AM
YEA BUT DAVE'S NOT NA!!!
At 2500 RPM he is making more torque than almost half the club!!!

Now if someone goes to a PD blower... yea the gear needs would change :thumbsup:

I was talking to Mike not Stan, and he was talking about getting a KB. Regardless of PD or not, 4.10s would still keep you shifting all day.

03 cobra toy
04-26-2006, 09:25 AM
That's a good idea Jimmy. :clapping: :headbang: The 390's maybe a good compromise for Stan...

Levi
04-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Jimmy I hear you and thanks. :thumbsup:
I just can't make up my mind :baby: on the gear and I need to change to something.............. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I :love: running with the 03 Gang.
I still think 03's like David, Carl and Henry need their own flag warning others when they are running in what ever color run group is up on track.

For their safety this is just a warning: :typer:

WARNING 03 GANG ON-TRACK. :run:

I got it. :doh2:

PIRATES, Black Flag with Skull and Cross Bones. :woot:

Mephisto
04-26-2006, 10:45 AM
The more I think about it, and after review of some in-car video, I do think I had a significant diff problem on the hairpin. That is the spot I seemed to loose ground to the other cobras and even Porsches. I think I was spinning the inside wheel and loosing torque. Remember I kept feeling like the car was bogging down, even though the T/C was off. I'm sure another gear may help pull out of that corner as well.

03 cobra toy
04-26-2006, 12:41 PM
The more I think about it, and after review of some in-car video, I do think I had a significant diff problem on the hairpin. That is the spot I seemed to loose ground to the other cobras and even Porsches. I think I was spinning the inside wheel and loosing torque. Remember I kept feeling like the car was bogging down, even though the T/C was off. I'm sure another gear may help pull out of that corner as well.

Video Engineer :bugeyes: :spoke: :woot:

Truetrac diff would help that.....around $950 installed

http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm

97CasperCobra
04-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Truetrac diff would help that.....around $950 installed

wow really!?!?!?!? Maybe I need to save up a few paychecks to install all my stuff. :(

oh.....and that TruTrac is HEAVY!!!!

Mephisto
04-26-2006, 02:30 PM
I would consider that or the Torsen R2 or whatever its called.

03 cobra toy
04-26-2006, 03:24 PM
I would consider that or the Torsen R2 or whatever its called.

Torsen T2R is very good also...$200 more