PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Mechanics & Tuner ?'s

BlueOvalPower
04-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey everone I was wonder if you all could help me out,

First I am looking for a place that sells Amsoil hopefully in the northwest region I knew I should have bought a case before I left just forgot.

Second not sure if this is also the third but I really do not like Ford Dealerships (my own preference) unless it is a HIGHLY recomended dealership looking for a Mechanic to do work on the Cobra and Roush.

Third looking for a SCT tuner if there are any recomendations I have the tuning software just need someone to fine tune it maybe even on a dyno,

Like I said hopefully in the Northwest or at least nothern area I am still learning my way around, I can find my way around from the airport north slowly finding my way LOL. thanks

Robert

97CasperCobra
04-24-2006, 12:14 AM
I've had great experience with Gullo Ford and there's another board member(Steeda Snakes & Grey Storm) who drive from Victoria to have their Mustangs serviced there.

Amsoil.....not sure on a dealer around here. The guy who I bought my SVTFocus from used Amsoil and I really didn't look into where to find a dealer and just switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

For the tune.....a lot of people have had good success with Slater's Mustangs. I'm taking the Cobra there to have the rear-end rebuilt in my '97 when the parts get here. :thumbsup:

SuperG
04-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Robert, I know a dealer here on the west side. I imagine if you place an order, it would simply get sent to you, but I'll check.

Gullo is in Conroe? If that's the case, another Cobra owner (who has since moved away) I know used them religiously, although did not trust their dyno, since they were new at it.

BlueOvalPower
04-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks Guys I have heard of Slaters will have to see where they are at, the Cobra is almost out of warranty would you still go to the Ford Dealership then? I may have to get some oil shipped to me have to see what the charge is. Thank you

Robert

Bartman01
04-24-2006, 01:18 PM
the Cobra is almost out of warranty would you still go to the Ford Dealership then?

For what? Personally I avoid the Ford dealership service dept like the plague, unless it is needed warranty work. My car had two issues that needed to be fixed under warranty, and still bears the scars from them touching it. Both issues (eventually, after several attempts) got resolved, but not without causing other issues.

If my experience were unique (or even unique to one dealership), I might be a little less jaded. I have no qualms getting the Pathfinder (or my old Maxima) worked on at the Nissan dealership.

Blownsvtlightning
04-26-2006, 08:59 PM
SVT owners in general are too picky, they think because they bought a 35 thousand dollar mustang of F-150 that is should be as refined as a mercedes.. I would think that alot of techs hate to see SVT's come in the door as much as the owners of the cars hate taking it to the dealer. SVT owners usually = instant headache.

Firme
04-26-2006, 11:15 PM
I have to agree with Bart... I had a horrible experience with my dealer, and being around many other Cobra owners, I know I am not alone. I won't bore you with every detail, but I took my car in one time, and every time after that was to return to have something the dealer had messed up fixed. I mean apparent things like scratches, scrapes and all sorts of screw ups that even the service writer had to shake his head, and say "I know that wasn't there when you dropped it off".

I know some cool people that are Ford tech's, but they are the exception to the rule in my opinion.

Bartman01
04-27-2006, 12:02 AM
SVT owners in general are too picky, they think because they bought a 35 thousand dollar mustang of F-150 that is should be as refined as a mercedes.. I would think that alot of techs hate to see SVT's come in the door as much as the owners of the cars hate taking it to the dealer. SVT owners usually = instant headache.

I disagree, I just expect to get my car back in at least as good of shape as it was when I dropped it off. In my few interactions with Ford service departments I generally got the car back in worse shape. Most of the times it was in the shop, it was there for them to fix what they broke. I was just as anal about my Maxima and took it to the dealership for stuff that I could easily do myself just so I didn't have to mess with it.

Things that I know happened to my car at Ford dealerships:
Deep scratches in the paint from repairing a leaky rear quarter window.
Paint and/or compounding all over the interior dash area and steering wheel from fixing the deep gashes in the paint.
Front of the seat seat leather scratched all up (didn't catch this till after I got it back since it is not a normally visible section).
Damaged front quarter panel (repaired good enough so it was not immediately apparent).
Failure to even touch the alignment (at least based on how out of whack it was when I paid to have it done a few weeks later), after I was promised that they 'persoanlly saw it on the rack'. After having the entire IRS assembly replaced for the 3rd time.
I could probably go on if I really thought about it.

There is a difference between being too picky and having your car physically damaged or shoddily repaired.

Oh, and just for the record - I have had the exact opposite experience so far having the Aviator in at the Lincoln dealership.

BlueOvalPower
04-28-2006, 10:29 AM
I do agree, like I said I just moved here so my only experience is in FL and I have received the same treatment as described from the dealerships, and they always found a way to get more $ out of my pocket as well, I just didn't want to start from scratch with trial and error and my time is too precious to go back and forth to get one thing sorted, right now I am just looking to get it put on a computer to check for codes that I cannot get and make sure it is overall running right and then get a decent dyno tune to fine tune it, thanks for the reply's.

Robert

Bartman01
04-28-2006, 02:21 PM
right now I am just looking to get it put on a computer to check for codes that I cannot get and make sure it is overall running right and then get a decent dyno tune to fine tune it, thanks for the reply's.

Robert

Autozone will pull codes for free.
Some of the people on the board have code readers. Try making a separate post asking if someone can hook you up?

Firme
04-28-2006, 11:50 PM
If you come to one of the Tuesday meets, I can pull the codes for you :D :thumbsup:

BlueOvalPower
04-29-2006, 10:30 AM
If you come to one of the Tuesday meets, I can pull the codes for you :D :thumbsup:Heh heh heh yeah I know, my wife is a flight attendant and has been getting home on Tues, the last couple of months and it is pretty much a good thing that I be there when she gets home :D , I haven't found out what her schedule is this month but I can probably at least make it for coffee and meet you guys, I know where that Starbucks is, now I have to clean and wax the Cobra LOL no garage at the moment it is still packed with boxes from the move.

I am not that concerned right now I just know that the programmer didn't detect the EGR malafunction but my old mechanics scanner did, I was get a pause in hard acceleration and couldn't figure it out and that fixed it so that is what I was refering to.

thanks and hopefully see you all on Tues if this weather lets up.

Robert