PDA

View Full Version : Who Balances a Driveshaft Around Here?

SuperG
04-24-2006, 04:05 PM
In tackling the vibration issues that seem to be coming from underneath, I would like to focus on the driveshaft. Does anyone know who balances driveshafts?

In addition to checking that, I am checking the halfshafts (car is lowered), the U-joints, and the wheel balance and alignment.

Any other ideas are much appreciated! I will try and make it to Starbucks tomorrow night so I can demonstrate the vibration...hmmm...that sounds kind of kinky...sorry!

Levi
04-24-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure :scratch: ,,,,,,,,,, may have to go to a machine shop. :dunno:

cobrapace94
04-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Might be better to get a aluminum drive shaft from Ford? New u joints & lighter, rather than replacing the u joints & balancing.
Don't know who balances drive shafts.

Blownsvtlightning
04-24-2006, 08:07 PM
C and T Driveshaft on Griggs has been doing my driveshaft work for 15 years, they have been there since the dawn of time...

SuperG
04-25-2006, 08:12 AM
C and T Driveshaft on Griggs has been doing my driveshaft work for 15 years, they have been there since the dawn of time...
Thanks for the help! I also found a place called Northwest Drivetrain Service on FM 529, which is a bit closer, so I'll call them first. One of the guys here at work has used them in past...it's somewhere around $40.

Regarding aluminum driveshafts, I have read a lot about them here and on svtperformance.com. There are mixed reviews, although, it seems more positive than negative. I was actually surprised at how inexpensive an Al drivshaft was...

jimmysidecarr
04-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the help! I also found a place called Northwest Drivetrain Service on FM 529, which is a bit closer, so I'll call them first. One of the guys here at work has used them in past...it's somewhere around $40.

Regarding aluminum driveshafts, I have read a lot about them here and on svtperformance.com. There are mixed reviews, although, it seems more positive than negative. I was actually surprised at how inexpensive an Al drivshaft was...

Rotating weight is a pretty big deal...

For every pound of rotating weight removed... it is like removing 8 pounds of static weight!!!

Diameter plays a role also in amplifying the effects... because of the leverage effect..
A lightened ring gear, flywheel or road wheel makes for a more dramatic change then say... an axle or a driveshaft.

cobltng
05-04-2006, 03:47 PM
The Houston Yellow pages have anumber of them listed. Personnaly I have no expierence with any of them.
;)