PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additive question

john_anch_ak
05-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know of a good fuel additive that will boost "regular" fuel up to "premium", (or Ethel as it was called when I was a kid). Living in Alaska means for the most part that only Anchorage or Fairbanks offers premium fuel. Pretty much all places in between only offer regular gas and diesel fuel.
Thanks, John

tcrews
05-01-2006, 07:01 PM
You're asking for quite a big boost there...

I'm assuming 89 octane gas and not 87 and going from there...

89 - 93 or 4.0 difference..

Octane "booster" that claims 3 points will make that 89 octane become 89.3 octane...not even getting close to a 4.0 difference yet. Accetone will bump it up even more, though I'm not sure you can get 4 full points out of it.

ausie
05-03-2006, 08:02 AM
The Octane in fuel is basically the gasoline that has been altered at the molecular level under extreme pressure and temperature to rearrange the hydrocarbon compound into an octagon shape. Typical hydrocarbon chains found in lower octane fuels are Heptane, Pentane and others like tolulene. It was found that the Octane molecule was more stable meaning that the molecular bonds would not break down to the more unstable Heptane. In other words it would be difficult to increase the octane level by just adding chemicals unless it was the octane fuel molecule itself. As to what the octane rating in the fuel means (is it a percentage per unit volume?) Fuel was a bit more stable and cost less when they used lead as a catylist to crack the Heptaine hydrocarbon chain. Some additives are basically inert and some may just be reformulated fuel by-products. Now more fuels are containig Ethanol alcohol and to what effect does that have on the overall performance? I would almost suggest aviaton fuel but since that may still contain lead you cannot directly put that in your vehicle. Also what will the leaded gasoline do the the catylitic converter and O2 sensor?

There are additives that have MMT in it. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/additive/mmt_cmts.htm

john_anch_ak
05-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Mucho thanks to both of you!:)

Not exactly the answers I was hoping for but now I know!

ausie
05-04-2006, 07:30 AM
There could be a fuel additive that will do what you expect it to do. I just have not see or heard of it but that does not mean the product does not exist. Most additives on the market that I have seen will only increase the octane rating by a fraction of what you need. Not only are they marginal for what they may or may not provide, they are expensive on a cost per volume basis. If you do find something that would work I sure would like to know. There is always racing fuel but extremely expensive if you are on a budget, but if used along with the other fuel may be a benefit especially if you have 10:1 compression or higher.

blk04cobra1
05-04-2006, 03:27 PM
The best thing for you would be to buy some Torco additive...unleaded version should turn your 87 to 93 with no problem :thumbsup: ...it'll run you about $120/case and you have to mix it in a can.

Sonic Blue
05-04-2006, 07:02 PM
http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/901816.htm

Look here my buddy buy his oil and octane booster from this guy. He custom blends oil also. I used it in my 03 cobra at Sebring last weekend. boosted 93 to 100 octane. Car ran really well!

ausie
05-05-2006, 07:35 AM
The best thing for you would be to buy some Torco additive...unleaded version should turn your 87 to 93 with no problem :thumbsup: ...it'll run you about $120/case and you have to mix it in a can.
Nice find! I did a search and found this web site.
http://www.torco.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=8

I would guess the price is fine since some additives found in automotive stores can cost close to that but do not offer the same performance level. I may even consider it but would like a bit more info on the product that what can be found on the site.

john_anch_ak
05-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks again guys, I'll check it out!

john_anch_ak
05-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, I talked with Brian Schbert of BND and have to say I'm amazed at what I learned from him. My old lady is going to kill me because I ordered a gallon of the TK-7SCF Super EFI fuel treatment and 3 gallons of his custom blended oil. I'll let you know what happens.

Sonic Blue
05-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Well, I talked with Brian Schbert of BND and have to say I'm amazed at what I learned from him. My old lady is going to kill me because I ordered a gallon of the TK-7SCF Super EFI fuel treatment and 3 gallons of his custom blended oil. I'll let you know what happens.

My buddy who told me about him felt the same way.
Hope your results are good!