PDA

View Full Version : tire size

mrpork
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
can anyone tell me if i can get away with 275/35/r17 on all four or will it be to much for the front

03slidewayzSVT
05-01-2006, 11:34 PM
275/40/17 are what come on it stock all the way around!!!:thumbsup:

mrpork
05-02-2006, 07:46 AM
i know that is what comes on it originaly but can i get away with a little bigger of a tire

blk04cobra1
05-02-2006, 08:39 AM
i know that is what comes on it originaly but can i get away with a little bigger of a tire
Yes, I would say as big as a 295 on the rear, but would keep the 275's up front...some are running 315 Nitto Drag Radials b/c they are a little bit narrower...which one's did you decide to go with?

Bartman01
05-02-2006, 09:53 AM

275/35 is the same width - just smaller diameter. Maybe you mistyped the size?

As to going wider - are you replacing your wheels too? Just doing a quick look at the BFG T/A as an example shows that anything wider than a 275 needs a 10" or wider wheel. What will 'fit' and what the manufacturer recommends and will warranty are two different things. Check the wheel sizing chart of the tire(s) you are considering, since it can vary from tire to tire.

In the front, 275's are already a tight fit. If you have to go wider, consider sticking with 275's there and just go wider in the rear. Understand that this will change the handling of the car and will generally increase the cars understeer. The widest I have heard of in the rear is 315's, but with some wheel/tire combos you may have rubbing against the suspension to deal with. Your best bet is either to go with a combo (of specific wheel and tire) someone else is running, or work with a shop that will let you test fit your setup before committing to buy (they will probably charge a small fee for this).

mrpork
05-02-2006, 02:49 PM
i messed up thought the middle # was the width its the first number right

Bartman01
05-02-2006, 03:58 PM
i messed up thought the middle # was the width its the first number right

Yes - and just to confuse you, the measurements change from number to number.

www/dd x rr

www = tire width in millimeters
dd = sidewall height as a percentage of www
rr = rim diameter in inches

So we go from mm to % to in. 275/40x17 (standard tire):
width is 275mm
sidewall height is 275*40% = 110mm
wheel opening is 17 inches

You can approximate the actual tire/wheel diameter by adding 2*sidewall + wheel diameter, but it's easier to just look at the mfg sizing chart for this.

Since the second number is a percent, if you increase or decrease the first number without also changing the profile, the rolling diameter will change and your speedo will be off. Again, use the mfg sizing charts to determine what sizes are 'equivalent' to what you have now. They usually list total diameter and revolutions per mile.

mrpork
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: okay well just tell me then the best tire for my beast

Bartman01
05-03-2006, 02:28 PM
The 'best' tire for handling is 275's all around.
Benefit of same wheel/tire all around is that you can rotate them, and you can get tires at a reasonable price.
The 2000-R came with 265/40 18's.

For looks, it's more subjective - but:
275/40 or 245/45 in the front
315/35 on deep dish rims in the rear (check fitment to make sure it doesn't rub the IRS bolt - but people are successfully running this)
The bad - you can't rotate, and have you seen the prices on those wide tires?