PDA

View Full Version : What a Hero looks like...

Arch Angel
05-09-2006, 01:04 AM
What kind of image comes to your mind when you picture a hero? What does he look like? Do you picture a tall athletic man with a square chin & devilishly good looks?

I will post his picture later, but for now, I want to see what kind of image your minds will create as you read his story.

There is something about the battlefield that distinguishes normal people from the extraordinary ones. I met Bobby back at Camp Shelby when we were in the ramp-up phase of our deployment. I was trying to help a buddy fix a flat tire on his car & was looking for someone with a carjack. Bobby pulled up in the parking lot by our barracks in his little yellow Xterra so I came up to him and asked to borrow his jack. He offered the jack & offered to help without hesitation.

Over the next few months, I got to know Bobby better & we became friends. Bobby loves skateboarding & I'm willing to bet that he was one of those kids that grew up skipping school & spending most of his time at skate parks. In the civilan world, Bobby (now in his late 30's) owns a modest skate park & we talked about him moving to Houston to open one up here.

Now fast forward to the present. If you had been keeping up with my posts, you might remember my post about Chris. We lost Chris in an ambush on March 25th. Bobby was in the same team as Chris. As a matter of fact, Bobby was the driver in the vehicle that Chris was riding in.

Most of Aghanistan is Pro-American, but the parts that have high concentration of poppy fields are also infested with Taliban & Al Quada. As you already know, drug trafficking of opium is Afghanistan's highest grossing product. The money made from opium funds Al Quada & Taliban groups while the rest of the population suffers.

Bobby's team was under constant surveillence by the Taliban for weeks. On March 25th when they left their compound, the Taliban decided to ambush their convoy. They were funneled into a kill-zone of some narrow streets (about 10 feet wide). Bobby's Humvee was the second vehicle in the line-up when they entered the ambush. A car pulled out in front & blocked the convoy. The driver of that car got out & took off into some bushes. A different Taliban terrorist ran up to Bobby's Humvee & fired his AK-74, hitting Chris & knocking him out of the Humvee. He also hit Reese in the shoulder. The terp (of all people) took out the Taliban. All hell started to break loose after that. RPG's & heavy volumes of machinegun fire rained on the small covoy. Under all of this fire, Bobby got out of the vehicle, picked Chris up & put him back into the Humvee. He unload a few magazines & laid waste to half a dozen Taliban & Al Quada before he jumped back into the driver's seat. They were out numbered 15 to 1. Over 200 Taliban & Al Quada fighters converged on their convoy from every direction from point blank range out to 100 meters. One of the other guys on the team described it as a scene from Blackhawk Down.

The first vehicle carried the ANA (Afghan National Army). When the ambush started, the pos ANA jumped out of their vehicle & ran into a ditch to hide. The terp yelled at them to return fire & to move their vehicle. Their vehicle had blocked the entire convoy & kept them in the kill zone. Bobby decided that he couldn't wait for the ANA to grow some balls so he got back into the driver's seat & rammed the ANA vehicle out of the way. They pulled out of the kill zone, took up a defensive position & engaged the enemy. Chris was still alive at the time & was in a lot of pain. He complained that he couldn't breathe. Bobby & another guy took turns giving Chris CPR & engaging the enemy. Chris died as a result of the bullet hitting both of his lungs & collapsing them.

The team continued to engage the enemy & called in air support until the ambush was repelled. After it was all over, the team had counted that the enemy had fired around 47-50 RPG's at them. Luckily, the enemy couldn't shoot very well so none of the rockets hit them, but several did come very close. However, every vehicle in the convoy were hit several dozen times by small arms fire.

The team had 87 seperate contact engagements with the enemy after that day. Everyone on the team lost between 25-40 lbs each from constantly fighting for a whole month. They could not get resupplied because the area was infested with the enemy & could not get a supply drop without the enemy seeing it & compromising their location. They lived off the food that they were able to obtained from the people in the area & used the ammo of the enemy that they killed.

Bobby & several members of his team are being put in for the Silver Star (the nation's 3rd highest military medal). If you tell Bobby that the whole unit is proud of him & his team, he & his team will just down play the praises. They would tell you that they weren't trying to be a heroes... they were just trying to survive.

What do you think Bobby looks like?

97CasperCobra
05-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Wonderful post Nick and to answer your question "what does a hero look like"....I believe that actions speak louder than looks. All of you who sacrifice your lives for our well-being deserve to be looked upon as heros. You definately have that everytime I see you buddy. I'll keep you and the rest of the soldiers in my thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting the good fight, watch your 6, and come back safely...and soon!!! Keep in touch man. :thumbsup: :flag:

jimmysidecarr
05-09-2006, 12:32 PM
"What do you think Bobby looks like?"

It doesn't really matter looks like... does it???

You can't tell by a persons appearance what's in their hearts...

But I sure am curious now!!!....
Do Y'all allow females into that kind of hot zone???
I thought that was a no no...

SuperG
05-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Although I have never worried about what someone looks like (especially in U.S. uniform), when I see your question or I hear about the heroic actions of our men and women over there, this is what I have pictured ever since September 11th...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2183000-2183999/2183045_9.jpg

Arch Angel
05-09-2006, 05:57 PM
"What do you think Bobby looks like?"

It doesn't really matter looks like... does it???

You can't tell by a persons appearance what's in their hearts...

But I sure am curious now!!!....
Do Y'all allow females into that kind of hot zone???
I thought that was a no no...Bobby is not a girl, but we do have female soldiers in Group. They are mostly in Intel... & troop morale (support)...:D

They don't get to go out of the wire much, except when the mission requires them to search & question Afghan women.

Arch Angel
05-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Here's a picture of Bobby & I back in early January when we were in Kyrgystan. Since that picture, he has lost 30 pounds & looks 10 years older.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/128/2032/53702.jpg

97CasperCobra
05-10-2006, 09:09 PM
So when are YOU getting back into town so I can buy you a few rounds Nick???

Bobby looks like a great guy, and from how you describe him....he is. You all deserve a few rounds on us civi's. :thumbsup:

Carl G
05-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Hi Nick,

Each time you post it helps me to remember how lucky we are to live in this great country and have individuals like yourself and Bobby who are protecting our way of life and trying to help those in need in a foreign country. Many years ago I landed in a poppy field In Turkey who used the money from drugs to promote a simular situation against the Greeks. Things have changed since then and now we are in different countries fighting against people who would like to destroy our way of life and everything the U.S. stands for. There is still one simalarity though and that is we have the greatest soldiers in the world, and know the value of a human life. Stay safe Nick and keep the information coming because we dont get the human side to these stories from the media. Hope we see you soon :thumbsup:

tazzracing1
05-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Nick

I want once again say THANK YOU. I know everyone of you are putting so much on the line for us and The U.S.A. and the other countries and people we help and support. I hope to meet you someday and shake your hand and tell you Thank You in person. Please keep safe and everyone is in my families prayers.

Sincerely,
Larry M.