PDA

View Full Version : Had to get towed!!! HELP!

mojosvt
05-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, my little black cloud will not go away. Had to put 2 grand into my wife's jeep last week. Then she broke her ankle on monday, and had to have surgery on thrusday. Then today, driving home from the store, just crusing on the highway going like 71 mph, I hear this wicked knocking or popping, like I was running an open header. OUT OF THE BLUE:mad: . So i put in the clutch, and coast off the side of the highway, pop the hood, and go for a listen. No leaking, no fluid, but sounds like the rear 2 cylinders on the passenger side are knocking really bad. I really don't know the difference between the sound of knocking or missing? I changed the plugs like 7000 miles ago. I turned the car off right away, and had it towed to my local ford dealer (which I don't know if they are mod friendly). I plan on going up there in the morning and pulling the plugs, to make sure that that is not the problem, and that the coils are seated properly. But if that is not the problem, I am going to have to guess that it is internal, and I am screwed.:( I am ready for this month to be over!

blk04cobra1
05-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I hate to hear that...good luck and if you need any help with their diagnosis, let us know and we'll see if it sounds logical :thumbsup:

mrpork
05-14-2006, 12:09 AM
i also have a xcal2 tune and also a few of the same mods as yourself. please let us know how you make out

Big T
05-14-2006, 10:11 AM
I have ngk-tr6 plugs and had to get them changed recently during a dyno tune. No popping or knocking just a hesitation and mild jerking. The plugs were about 1 year old and correctly gapped at .035. I was told that you have to change them every 6 mos to a year. Several others that were waiting in line changed their plugs before they ran. We bought about 48 of them from the local NAPA store that day. I changed them out and my car was fine. Hopefully it is your plugs. Good Luck.

ausie
05-14-2006, 02:10 PM
ouch, sorry to hear your luck is running thin. If it is associated with the plugs or injectors on one or more cylinders, the check engine light should come on. If you experienced a miss-fire more than likely you would feel the motor shudder a bit. Detonation (depending on the force of the wave front created in the cylinder) can be devastating or simply annoying also associated with a drop of power. Detonation can literally stop the motor and it can feel like hitting a brick wall when driving at 71 mph. The associated forces of detonation may crack or shatter pistons, bend connecting rods, eject spark plugs or just blow out a head gasket. It may also be related to the timming. In some cases if the plug is too cold of a heat range, the coil pack may not respond properly ( I do recall reading about that somewhere either 5.0 or MM&FF). Some have had issues with the valve train bearing bolts that secure the overhead cams in place. There is a TSB on that issue and it could be related to what has happened. I hope for the best that it is not a severe issue to deal with. Good luck man.

spincobra03
05-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I sort of have the same problem as BIG T. I have an xcal2 and pro dyno has gone through it over the phone as best they can without being able to physically see it. But I changed my plugs to tr-6 at .035 and My car a low rpm's and at cruising speeds seems very jerky and slight surges. Does anyone have any idea what I should do. I data logged it and sent it to dan and he couldnt see anything in the tune that could cause a problem. The car seems to run fine at high rpm's or in boost. But if I take my foot off the gas quickly I feel I slight slamming noise. Not sure what it is, any help would be great or any ideas??

mods
xcal2 tuned pro dyno
6lb lower lfp pulley
magnaflow cat back system
2.5 intercooler ice box from rob pro dyno
mgw short shifter
ngk tr6 plugs
k&N cold air intake
478rwhp 515rwtq
those numbers are without the 2.5 intercooler box with ice. will be higher next time on the dyno!

RedfireSVT
05-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Could've popped a spark plug, happens with the older heads. They can also come unscrewed, both of these conditions can arise from to few theads in the spark plug hole.

mrpork
05-14-2006, 05:25 PM
how often should the plugs be changed and what kind is recommended for an 04 svt cobra with 12000 miles on it.

mojosvt
05-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Well, rain stopped for long enough for me to drive up to the dealership where the car was towed. Good news, I know what is wrong. Bad news, the number 3 cylinder's spark plug (pass side, third back) totally blew out the plug. When you look at the plug, it looks like the first 3 threads have melted aluminum in them, and the gap is now 0.00. I have no idea what I am going to do.:( It is sitting at the ford dealer, I will at least see what they say. But my factory warrenty ended a few months ago, being an early run 03. I have looked all over for a TSB, to no avail. I guess I am going to have to try the hellion fix, before I drop 3500 having ford replace the head. And I am just praying that that is the only problem, and that the cylinder and piston were not damaged. All I can say, CHECK YOUR PLUGS!!! If anybody has any experience with the fix, let me know, or where they had it done, thanks, Mike

RedfireSVT
05-14-2006, 07:36 PM
This unfortunately is one of several flaws with the early run heads. If you do have Ford replace it, be sure you get the latest run of 05' heads which fixes the thread issue as well as the cooling issue that came with the crappy early run heads.

blk04cobra1
05-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Well, rain stopped for long enough for me to drive up to the dealership where the car was towed. Good news, I know what is wrong. Bad news, the number 3 cylinder's spark plug (pass side, third back) totally blew out the plug. When you look at the plug, it looks like the first 3 threads have melted aluminum in them, and the gap is now 0.00. I have no idea what I am going to do.:( It is sitting at the ford dealer, I will at least see what they say. But my factory warrenty ended a few months ago, being an early run 03. I have looked all over for a TSB, to no avail. I guess I am going to have to try the hellion fix, before I drop 3500 having ford replace the head. And I am just praying that that is the only problem, and that the cylinder and piston were not damaged. All I can say, CHECK YOUR PLUGS!!! If anybody has any experience with the fix, let me know, or where they had it done, thanks, Mike
A guy over on the "other" forum responded about the timesert inserts for this...i have heard no ill effects of using this type of correction, but I know Ford will not do it. Best scenario is to get with a local speed shop and ask them if they'll do it...it's the cheapest way to remedy this problem.

Big T
05-14-2006, 10:49 PM
I sort of have the same problem as BIG T. I have an xcal2 and pro dyno has gone through it over the phone as best they can without being able to physically see it. But I changed my plugs to tr-6 at .035 and My car a low rpm's and at cruising speeds seems very jerky and slight surges. Does anyone have any idea what I should do. I data logged it and sent it to dan and he couldnt see anything in the tune that could cause a problem. The car seems to run fine at high rpm's or in boost. But if I take my foot off the gas quickly I feel I slight slamming noise. Not sure what it is, any help would be great or any ideas??

mods
xcal2 tuned pro dyno
6lb lower lfp pulley
magnaflow cat back system
2.5 intercooler ice box from rob pro dyno
mgw short shifter
ngk tr6 plugs
k&N cold air intake
478rwhp 515rwtq
those numbers are without the 2.5 intercooler box with ice. will be higher next time on the dyno!
I know a guy who had a similar problem. They checked his air intake first as that was the suspected culprit. After that was OK they checked the o2 sensors and one was bad. He changed it out and the car ran fine. His complaints were very similar to yours. Hope this helps.

mojosvt
05-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Update, I had a local engine shop install the heli-coil. He looked down the cylinder with a scope, and said everything looks good internally. He said the insert went in great, and I picked the car up yesterday. He said run it through a few heat cycles, drving the car to running temp, then cool her down, a few times. I am really nervous about the other 7, so after I cool the car down, I am going to change the 7 other plugs to make sure they were done right and torqued down properly. Then a quick oil change to be on the safe side, and she sould be as good as new. Now I have to start a little slush fund for a set of new heads:D , down the road!

Linn@Amazon
05-23-2006, 12:54 PM
happy to see that turned out well for you...you were lucky..Ive seen that happen to cars where it was a very serious issue..