PDA

View Full Version : best exhast questions

Cobra9975
05-14-2006, 07:47 PM
I have a 1999 mustang cobra convertible. I want to up grade my stock exhaust for best hp and sound, but I don't want it to be so loud that I can't hear with the top down. What would be the best exhaust to go with.

Cobra4me
05-14-2006, 10:01 PM
magnaflow and bassani are always good and not extremely loud

nckissfan
05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
magnaflows sound great, and they aren't as expensive
bassani have killer tones
borla makes some real hot sounds, too

ausie
05-15-2006, 06:24 AM
All I would recommend is to get stainless steel (304 s.s. is the typical alloy). Best if mandrel bent 2.5" should be just fine. As the the cat-back mufflers if they are made of the same materials as the pipe even better. Chamberless resonators or pass through muffler designs would offer the best HP gains but would be the loudest when compared to mutli chamber types. I would not recommend any SLP Loudmouth product since you would hear it wheather the top is up or down, the same probably would apply for the Borla Stingers. Although I have bought the SLP product twice (two different Cobra's 01, 04) it was much louder on the 01 (especially after the install). Stick with Borla, Magnaflow or Bassani if since they offer a multi-chamber muffler. I do like the SLP Loudmouth but many who have bought it with convertables could not tolerate it for that long. IT will take some time before it tones down a bit but even after that it may not be of the liking of others if you have a convertable.

ausie
05-15-2006, 06:25 AM
magnaflow and bassani are always good and not extremely loud
Every time I see a new picture of your ride it just keeps getting better :thumbsup:

Bartman01
05-15-2006, 09:12 AM
No love for the FR500 exhaust from FRPP?

blk04cobra1
05-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Magnaflow for the price...and Bassani for the sound...all depends on how much you want/have to spend...i'd also go stainless like Ausie said :thumbsup:

Bartman01
05-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Link to FR500 Exaust (http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=M5230M58&Category_Code=46EXHAUST)

MMFF Article (http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0201mmff_500exhaust/index.html)

Benefits = dual mode mufflers. Quiet until you use the go pedal. Something to consider if noise with top down is a concern.

Downside = doesn't give that constant 'sound' that some people are looking for. This can also be a benefit if you don't want to attract attention to yourself.

Cobra4me
05-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Every time I see a new picture of your ride it just keeps getting better :thumbsup:thanks ausie

ausie
05-16-2006, 06:41 AM
I may not be fond of orange, but for some reason or another I am beginning to like it. Your car looks awesome :thumbsup: It must be those wheels that set it appart.

ausie
05-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Link to FR500 Exaust (http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=M5230M58&Category_Code=46EXHAUST)

MMFF Article (http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0201mmff_500exhaust/index.html)

Benefits = dual mode mufflers. Quiet until you use the go pedal. Something to consider if noise with top down is a concern.

Downside = doesn't give that constant 'sound' that some people are looking for. This can also be a benefit if you don't want to attract attention to yourself.I was considering this exhaust for the 01 since it also makes claim to add more torque due to the x-pipe in the rear end. I may have been after something on the loud side so I opted for something different. However considering the issues I am having with the locals, it may be a better choice for the 04 than the slp. That nice sound will be hard to let go of but the snap, crackle, pop is not very desireable once you let of the gas. I guess there would be a benefit of having mufflers than resonators.

99SVT3753
05-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Magnaflow all the way.

I had the H-pipe with 2 chambers on mine .. but thought it was too loud myself.

X-pipe with 3.73 rearend low rumble and quiet until you ROMP on it ..

I "HATE" Bassani's crackle and popcorn sound .. especially for all that money ..

psycho43142
05-27-2006, 10:41 PM
According to the Corsa rep at the ALMS race at Mid-Ohio last weekend they should have systems out for the older Mustangs within the next six months. The system I heard on their C6 sounded awsome.

Chris

Lumpydogs
05-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Go with Magnaflow X-Pipe and mufflers.

You will gain like 500 hp and hot chicks will throw themselves at you.

NO, not really, but Magnaflows do have a nice sound with a moderate price.

jimbo68gt
06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
I just put the Bassani on my 03 and I love it. Its loud, awesome tones, but not too loud with the top down. Everyone looks!!!!! I did the X pipe as well and together it was about $900. Great quality and looks good too.

ausie
06-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Go with Magnaflow X-Pipe and mufflers.

You will gain like 500 hp and hot chicks will throw themselves at you.

NO, not really, but Magnaflows do have a nice sound with a moderate price.
I must have been using the wrong exhaust all along. I have yet to get any hot chicks to throw themselves at me.....:(