PDA

View Full Version : Friends don't let friends work on their cars

Shinytrinkets
05-20-2006, 09:08 PM
I bought new rotors and break pads. Oh man, I was all excited, like a kid on Christmas morning. BUT, since my ex husband is a ******(insert colorful language here) money is a little tight. A friend of mine offered to put them on for me. "Great" I say. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks. What could it hurt, right? WRONG! Apparently, he is not the the brilliant mechanic he claimed to be. He put break quiet all over the actual pad rather than the steel part of the break pad. GRRR. I talked to a few people and they said I could use break cleaner to clean off the pad and they should be good. So far I have the front ones cleaned up pretty good. He offered to by new ones for me but I want to see if just cleaning them off will set them straight again. What do you guys think? Appreciate it.
-Trink

WVSNS&
05-20-2006, 10:14 PM
That sucks. I think with brake cleaner it will probably be allright.

InfamousSVT
05-21-2006, 04:26 AM
Brake cleaner will work, just make sure you clean each one carefully and take a couple *test* drives with it before getting into stop and go traffic.

Good luck

ausie
05-21-2006, 11:01 AM
It sounds like you know one of my friends.... Hopefully not cause if he worked on it cances are the job would have been terminal. Use brake cleaner on all the brake parts as well (rotors, and calipers ). That should correct the issues. At least he did not put the pads in backards.... meaning steel part facing the rotor (not quite sure that is possible with the cobra caliper but it is easy to do with an Exlorer....)

Once you have it all cleaned up, seat the brakes by first driving slow 5 mph and if you notice there are any issues stopping (grinding noise) return back to where you can inspect the pads. If all seems good, start at 10 mph and come to a complete stop (not abruptly, just a moderate stop). Double the speed and repeat. Once you go to 40 and stop, you can now drive it. For the first few miles be conservative on speed and allow for extra distance to stop. Before you even drive it, inspect the rubber seal under the brake resivior cap for deformity since that will cause a loss of brake pressure. Just push in on the seal to return it back to its original shape. The seal sometimes distorts when C clamps are used to open up the calipers....If the bleed valve was opened to release the calipers you will need to bleed the brake lines to remove any air that may have entered the lines.. Hope for the best that all is well and no damage has occured since one who thinks they can do anything has proven to others they cannot except to themselves.

Shinytrinkets
05-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. Thankfully, my brake pads and rotors turned out fine. Lesson learned I suppose. :)

-Trink

ausie
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Good to hear all is well with your brakes :thumbsup: