PDA

View Full Version : My write up of the Exp. of the NASA event at MSR.

bluethunder
05-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Well to start off, Let me say, "I'm sorry" to those I mess with about road racing. I drove the yellow '06 in the 2nd group while Kathy stayed in the 1st group. I drove my butt off the first time out and got a little side ways a couple of times but got the hang of it by the end of the session. To drive a car to the edge like that just to see what it would take has got to be one of the funnest moments of driving cars I've had in a while. The first thing my instructor asked me as we left the pit area was, "so what kinda of racing do you do?" My response was "drag racing!!" His reply was "Oh crap (not that word though)" My straights were moving and my corners were something to be worked on.

Session 2 got better as I learned the corners and started to get comfortable. the yellow GT handles really good for a Stock suspension car and can take a corner pretty well. Turn one was the hardest to get used to as I was told to "throw" the car in and let it turn. well, After about 6 laps, that's what I was doing and the car turned!!!!!!!!!! I got to Pass a couple cars and even lapped one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was stoked.

Session 3 we got a couple CMC cars into the mix for testing and me and an Intera Type R on R compund tires were the only ones to keep up. the tires were toast after this session but according to the box they gave me , I was getting 2:02:00-2:05:00 Lap Times. I was getting the hang of it.

Session 4 (the last one)was a 40 Minute run and I took the car to edge and kept it there. It seemed like it might come out from under me a couple times but stayed in and kept going. I was having sooo much fun chasing one of the CMC cars and tryign to keep up I had no idea that I had passed all but one of the 7 cars in my group. I was feeling the brakes going away and learned to lkinda "drift" the car around some of the corners, Mainly the "Bus Stop" and still keep a decent time. Iw as having the time of my life being able to run a car like that for that long of a time and not worry about too much. After the 40 minute session we had several of the CMC guys come over and ask about the car and look it over only to find it had stock suspension and were very impressed that the car could hang as well as it did through the turns and the power it had on the straights ( gotta get the blower on it though) we went to pick up our lap times and were shocked to see one read 1:59:46 as the fastest lap!!!!!!!!! I am Hooked on track after this event and we have found an old Fox body to make into a CMC car. It should be here by next tuesday and then it will start to take form. I will stick with drag racing but Road racing is an Exp. that I want to continue to do. I think we will go to as many more DE events as we can and after another 4-5 I want to try for a Comp. License. Kathy was moved up to the next level if she wants to go out again in NASA, she was really Happy to hear that and seems like she wants to go to some more events as well.

Put in a call to one of our friends who is sponsored by MM and looks like I'll get what we need to make the Fox race ready pretty quickly.

Thanks to Mike Bell for the advise, Thanks to Eric for the advice. It helped out a ton and you guys are a blast to Watch out there.

For those that didn't come , there were 2 AIX cars made from 2006 BIW mustangs with 351W that were running like raped apes out there that were a blast to watch.

TRACK IS CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See anyone who's going to the PCA event There!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admiral
05-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Glad to meet you and your wife and even more glad to hear you enjoyed the experience(s). Before you plunk down any money on cars/parts better start reading threads over at www.camaromustangchallenge.com and for the local group over at www.aicmctexas.com to get in touch with the folks who can give you the rules/procedures info.

In CMC they are pretty strict about allowable modifications, don't order a ton of MM goodies just yet! If I can help in anyway shoot me a PM or email.

Welcome to the addiction! ;)

bluethunder
05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Glad to meet you and your wife and even more glad to hear you enjoyed the experience(s). Before you plunk down any money on cars/parts better start reading threads over at www.camaromustangchallenge.com and for the local group over at www.aicmctexas.com to get in touch with the folks who can give you the rules/procedures info.

In CMC they are pretty strict about allowable modifications, don't order a ton of MM goodies just yet! If I can help in anyway shoot me a PM or email.

Welcome to the addiction! ;)

Thanks for the links Mike, I will get to reading. And I'll be calling ya soon.

Firme
05-22-2006, 11:21 PM
:clapping: :headbang:
Brings a tear to my eye to read that Joey. Sounds like ya'll had a blast. I wish I could have been there to enjoy it with ya'll. Mike and Eric are great guys! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the CMC car :eek: .

97CasperCobra
05-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Congrats Joey!!!! It'll be great to have ya there with us to share stories and shot the dirt with. I have been DEPRIVED of track for too long of a time. I think I need to get the Focus out to the track ASAP as the Cobra won't be ready for a while.....too many people selling stuff at too good of prices ;)

Good to hear that you and Kathy are enjoying the hell out of the new 'Stang and open track. Can't wait to see ya out there. :thumbsup:

93KingCobra
05-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Good to see ya'll have so much fun!!!! :thumbsup: I knew it would only be a matter of time till you got on the CRACK---I mean TRACK :cool:

03 cobra toy
05-23-2006, 10:49 AM
:clapping: :headbang:
Brings a tear to my eye to read that Joey. .

:rotf: :rotf:

Welcome to the $$$$ pit :D

jimmysidecarr
05-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Do they have a Betty Ford Clinic for Track addiction??? ;)

Great to hear Joey!!! I hate to say..... "I knew it"....

but.... I did!!

Not only could I tell you would love this sport.... I knew that you would be good at it!!!

Looking forward to getting back out there ASAP myself!!!

Those SN97s are no joke!!! :thumbsup:

bluethunder
05-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Mr. Bell, where are or do they have a rule book for CMC????????????

bluethunder
05-23-2006, 11:18 AM
I hate to say..... "I knew it"....

but.... I did!!

I still Like drag racing more. The biggest thing I can say and it seems to sum it all up is, that in Road racing you can screw up and still win, In Drag Racing, You have got to be PERFECT in every aspect to get the W.

Admiral
05-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Mr. Bell, where are or do they have a rule book for CMC????????????

You'll need a copy of the CCR's (those are the overall rules for road racing with NASA) here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Then you'll need the CMC rules for that class of car, found here:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Camaro-Mustang-Challenge.pdf

When in doubt, ask one of the series officials first before plunking down money on parts or making modifications, contact Todd Covini or Adam Ginsberg here in Texas for CMC rulings or info, you can reach them via the www.aicmctexas.com website profiles. You the new "DynoJoe" that's registered?? :D

Also, there's a few CMC mustangs for sale already, one in Austin that's not quite complete so you may want to check into that car before starting from scratch. I highly recommend buying someone else's car before trying to build one from the start, but if you like that stuff here's the link where Eric Varner built his CMC car from a $1300 beater: http://bns-racing.com/89CMC.htm

Welcome to the madness! :thumbsup:

bluethunder
05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
You'll need a copy of the CCR's (those are the overall rules for road racing with NASA) here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Then you'll need the CMC rules for that class of car, found here:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Camaro-Mustang-Challenge.pdf

When in doubt, ask one of the series officials first before plunking down money on parts or making modifications, contact Todd Covini or Adam Ginsberg here in Texas for CMC rulings or info, you can reach them via the www.aicmctexas.com website profiles. You the new "DynoJoe" that's registered?? :D

Also, there's a few CMC mustangs for sale already, one in Austin that's not quite complete so you may want to check into that car before starting from scratch. I highly recommend buying someone else's car before trying to build one from the start, but if you like that stuff here's the link where Eric Varner built his CMC car from a $1300 beater: http://bns-racing.com/89CMC.htm

Welcome to the madness! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I a the new Dynojoe that registered and I've looked through Erics entire Build. Just got off the ohone with a guy who has another coupe for sale for cheap to build a road car out of. Maybe not CMC but something to go out and beat up and not worry about messing up our yellow car doing it.

jimmysidecarr
05-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Ladies and gentleman....

It is freaking ON!!!! :bounce: :doubt: ;) :D

Levi
05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Ladies and gentleman....

It is freaking ON!!!! :bounce: :doubt: ;) :D

:rotf:

We knew he was a straight line junky and once he got behind the wheel and did some open track that he would also become a road course junky.

Joey, You are a true track junky from head to toe. :thumbsup:

bluethunder
05-23-2006, 04:09 PM
:rotf:

We knew he was a straight line junky and once he got behind the wheel and did some open track that he would also become a road course junky.

Joey, You are a true track junky from head to toe. :thumbsup:

Not a Track junky, just a race junky! Anything I can drive fast I love.

Levi
05-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Not a Track junky, just a race junky! Anything I can drive fast I love.
Me too! :thumbsup: