PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

mrpork
05-24-2006, 08:10 AM
first what is the largest that you can put under a 04 cobra(rim size and tire). second and formost you guys have helped me before i need it again. recently i have heard of guys plugs striping out their heads so i went out and checked mine the other day and now my car is hard to start.i was just wondering if a little extra air slipping by the throttle body would cause that. it seemed to be loosed when i took it off (to get to the back 2 plugs on the pass. side) so on reinstall i tighten it up a little more

InfamousSVT
06-01-2006, 10:22 PM
The largest rims I've seen on a Cobra (don't recommend it) are 20" wheels.
As far as what is the *best* looking (matter of opinion) 18x9 up front and 18x10's in the rear
Some have installed the torque thrust wheels that are 18x9 up front and 18x11 in the rear, this all depends on the wheels back spacing also though. On a solid axle car you can go up to a 6.5 backspacing without having issues with the exhaust most of the time. On an IRS car you won't have to worry about the exhaust, but the IRS itself will come into play as most of the time the IRS bolt will hit the tires/wheels.
I hope this has helped you out in some way, if you need me to explain something more just ask. :thumbsup:

first what is the largest that you can put under a 04 cobra(rim size and tire). second and formost you guys have helped me before i need it again. recently i have heard of guys plugs striping out their heads so i went out and checked mine the other day and now my car is hard to start.i was just wondering if a little extra air slipping by the throttle body would cause that. it seemed to be loosed when i took it off (to get to the back 2 plugs on the pass. side) so on reinstall i tighten it up a little more

ausie
06-02-2006, 07:05 AM
I would agree not to go to a 20 inch. There are options that most do not do such as staggared fitment in wheel sizes. You can do 18 inch all the way around with 10inch widths in the rear which will fit just right as long as the backspacing is maintained (provides a deeper lip on the outside of the wheel depending on style of wheel chosen FR500, BBS, as well as some others). What I meant by staggared fitment would be to use the stock size up front 17x9 and opt for the 18x10 for the rear. This would provide the optical illusion that both tires look the same size when looking at the car from an angle or from a distance. Due to the larger wheel well space in the rear end, having the same size wheel in front as well as in the rear it tends to make the rear wheel look smaller since there is a slight offset in the rear end. Now you have to deal with tire sizes if the overall diameter of the tire is different, it may play havoc with the anti-locking brake system if the rotations are different. Best if both front and rear have the same overall diameter. Also, some tire brands may not be available in different wheel diameters (will not matter if you are using drag radials).

As for the plugs, it is possible for the threads to become damaged in the heads if care was not taken into consideration when installing new plugs. If you do not have a good feel to tighten them up by hand, by all means use a torque wrench to tighten them up. Since the heads are cast aluminum, always seat the plugs by hand (twist them in using the extended socket without the ratchet attached). Inspect the entire thread area of the plug once you have taken it out for any aluminum shavings since that may be an indication that the plugs were torqued down too much and possibly cause damage to the threads in the head. Not sure what the torque spec is on the plugs 24ft-lbs sounds about right?

RR03Cobra
06-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I have seen some 18x11s on a few snakes with 335-35-18s! They look awesome!! It would also depend on if your car is lowered, wheel spacing, tires size. I currently have 17x10.5s in the rear with BFG KDs 315-35-17 and they are nice and wide. If my car was lowered more than an inch, it would scrub. On my last snake (03 vert), I had my car lowered too much with 18x10s and 295-35-18s and it would scrub when I hit a large bump or dip!:thumbsup:

FactoryFreak197
06-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I would agree not to go to a 20 inch. There are options that most do not do such as staggared fitment in wheel sizes. You can do 18 inch all the way around with 10inch widths in the rear which will fit just right as long as the backspacing is maintained (provides a deeper lip on the outside of the wheel depending on style of wheel chosen FR500, BBS, as well as some others). What I meant by staggared fitment would be to use the stock size up front 17x9 and opt for the 18x10 for the rear. This would provide the optical illusion that both tires look the same size when looking at the car from an angle or from a distance. Due to the larger wheel well space in the rear end, having the same size wheel in front as well as in the rear it tends to make the rear wheel look smaller since there is a slight offset in the rear end. Now you have to deal with tire sizes if the overall diameter of the tire is different, it may play havoc with the anti-locking brake system if the rotations are different. Best if both front and rear have the same overall diameter. Also, some tire brands may not be available in different wheel diameters (will not matter if you are using drag radials).

As for the plugs, it is possible for the threads to become damaged in the heads if care was not taken into consideration when installing new plugs. If you do not have a good feel to tighten them up by hand, by all means use a torque wrench to tighten them up. Since the heads are cast aluminum, always seat the plugs by hand (twist them in using the extended socket without the ratchet attached). Inspect the entire thread area of the plug once you have taken it out for any aluminum shavings since that may be an indication that the plugs were torqued down too much and possibly cause damage to the threads in the head. Not sure what the torque spec is on the plugs 24ft-lbs sounds about right?
I personally dont think anything bigger than 18" looks good im going to 315/35/17's with my twin turbo setup

GA04COBRA
06-25-2006, 03:39 PM
i agree...18" is the best..i have 27535's on the front and 29535's on the rear. with the eibach springs it has a beautiful stance..the eibachs' did sag a little more than the steeda sports i put on my 03' gt but are still liveable....
i am running toyo proxes and they handle great...my 2nd set...
a friend of my brother bought a 2005 gt and ordered the same wheels and tires that saleen sells with thier car and they were horrible...handling and ride suffered...saleen sells them but if you do not do the same modifiations to the suspension that they do you will have problems...he sold them and got some 18".