PDA

View Full Version : 96 Cobra Cruise Control

jadam
05-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi all, glad I found this site. I just purchased a 96 Cobra vert with 26K that has spent most of it's life in a garage waiting for sunny days.

I've found two problems to date. The first being that the cigerette lighter and power point didn't work (blown fuse, they are fine now) and the second is that the crusie control doesn't work.

Other then checking the fuse (next on my list) is there something else that I can do as a quick check?

I am getting ready to drop the top and take a road trip to Virginia (from Connecticut) and would love to be able to use the cruise control.

Thanks,
Joe

SuperG
05-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Joe, does the A/C still work? If not, then I think the problem is also a fuse.

jadam
05-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Joe, does the A/C still work? If not, then I think the problem is also a fuse.
Yep! A/C, blower all work. I had a Haynes manual and it suppust checking the connector to the control unit. If the voltage is good, then it suggests replacing the controls on the steering wheel.

Thanks for the reply!

Joe

jadam
05-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Interesting enough, my boss talked me into taking the car by the local Ford dealership just before I left for my trip (he is considering buying a truck from them and brow beat them into looking at my car).

The mechanic worked on it for an hour then the service manager came in and said they are breaking for lunch and it would a couple more hours before they would be done testing/fixing it and could I wait.

I told him no and then the mechanic came out and said that he tested the switch at the brake and the clutch and they both appear to be working and the fuse was good. Told me to bring it back when I returned.

They didn't give me a bill, said not to worry about it, they would get it done when I returned. So I hit the road and guess what? The cruise control works! LOL

Guess I won't be going back to the dealer! :thumbsup:

SNAKEYE
05-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Interesting enough, my boss talked me into taking the car by the local Ford dealership just before I left for my trip (he is considering buying a truck from them and brow beat them into looking at my car).

The mechanic worked on it for an hour then the service manager came in and said they are breaking for lunch and it would a couple more hours before they would be done testing/fixing it and could I wait.

I told him no and then the mechanic came out and said that he tested the switch at the brake and the clutch and they both appear to be working and the fuse was good. Told me to bring it back when I returned.

They didn't give me a bill, said not to worry about it, they would get it done when I returned. So I hit the road and guess what? The cruise control works! LOL

Guess I won't be going back to the dealer! :thumbsup:
In their zest to test they may have favaorably distrubed a bad connection and got it going unknowingly (OBVIOUSLY!).
Sometimes that's all it takes.
Have a safe trip, and "don't feed the bears"!

dewone
05-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Jezz I'd at least drive by wavin, while in cruise control. Oh and don't forget to smile.

ausie
06-15-2006, 08:02 AM
:rotf: Jezz I'd at least drive by wavin, while in cruise control. Oh and don't forget to smile.
Now that is funny. :rotf:

ausie
06-15-2006, 08:07 AM
good to see it is working. I have a problem with my cruise control too but it works as it should. I just can't keep my foot off the gas pedal is the problem. The issue with cruise control can get hairy on a long trip if you get sleepy behind the wheel, turn it off. Have a good trip if you have not departed yet.