PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch problems

Shinytrinkets
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
The new clutch is great except in that it seems to be slipping...But only in 3rd gear. I took it easy for about 600 miles, like my mech recommended. Now, I'm not a brilliant car person but if the clutch was bad wouldn't all gears slip, not just 3rd? I'm beginning to think its the transmission. Also, sometimes she makes a whining sound when I first turn her on in the mornings. The sound stops when I press in the gas, I imagine the slipping feeling and that sound are connected somehow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Trink

flynfink
06-05-2006, 10:24 PM
The new clutch is great except in that it seems to be slipping...But only in 3rd gear. I took it easy for about 600 miles, like my mech recommended. Now, I'm not a brilliant car person but if the clutch was bad wouldn't all gears slip, not just 3rd? I'm beginning to think its the transmission. Also, sometimes she makes a whining sound when I first turn her on in the mornings. The sound stops when I press in the gas, I imagine the slipping feeling and that sound are connected somehow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Trink

What year car? Where are you located?

ausie
06-06-2006, 08:28 AM
I had a similar issue with mine after the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch were replaced. I took it easy for the first 1500 miles. If the disk is slipping it would smell like burnt wet newspaper or worse. IT will also make a bit of a scraping noise while it is seating in as well as a bit of noise while in neutral. Hopefully the whine is not the throw out bearing which should have been replaced with the clutch. If the problem is persistent, you should call your mechanic and mention the same issue. Instead of hitting the gas pedal, try pressing in the clutch when it is making the same noise. If it does not change it may be something else. If the milage you put on is just highway, you need to go much farther than 600 miles. Typically seat in time is about 500 miles in stop and go traffic but on the highway it should be more like 1500 miles for proper seat in. If the driving is mixed (in town and highway) go the longer distance. I would call your mechanic anyway before any applied warranty on the work runs out incase they messed up. Hopefully it is not caused by a rear oil seal leak but that would have been noticed when they replaced the clutch in the first place unless they took off the fly-wheel to resurface it.