PDA

View Full Version : 03 Super Charger + 99 Cobra?

99cobra~
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
hey everyone, I have read a few posts about putting a super charger from a 03 cobra onto a 99-02 cobra. I have already baught the eaton super charger and I am wondering what I might run into as far as instaling it. The person I baught the blower from gave me everything that I believe I need to put it on... lower intake, blower, wiring, injectors..etc. I also think I have the alternator backet so that will be moved... the only thing I think I need is gaskets and a fuel pump?? I am not instaling this myself because I do not have the the experience to do so. so my brother, uncle and cousin who are all very experience with cars will be doing the swap. Any useful info would be great. If I do decide to do the swap I will only be running 6psi of boost.

99cobra~
06-08-2006, 08:49 PM
well I have been reading more and it sounds like a problem waiting to happen. maybe I will just ebay everything I baught.

tcrews
06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
The most important thing to remember is that your Cobra is 9.85:1 compression with hyperutectic pistons and the '03 Cobra has 8.5:1 compression and forged pistons. It's doable.....but not at the overall expense it will become. Crappy stock pistons, high compression ratio, instant boost.....BLAM....time for an engine rebuild.

Plus all the little extras you have to account for that is different between the model years and engine/computer management, etc..

blk04cobra1
06-09-2006, 09:08 AM
IMO you'd be better off trying to get a used Vortech/Paxton/Procharger kit, instead of doing the conversion. It is doable, but can become costly. It all depends on how much power you want to make in the long run b/c unfortunately the stock 99 cobra motor wont hold "too" much :thumbsup:

cobrabob
06-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Ford did alot of modifications to the 03 Cobra in order to make the engine able to support a blower including cams, crank, pistons, connecting rods as well as a cast iron block. If you run a 112 blower on a stock 4.6 dohc engine. it will not stay together.:( I have a friend that put a 6 psi paxton on a 97 Cobra, it lasted 8500 miles and blew sky high.:rolleyes:

SMOKE
06-09-2006, 07:47 PM
I have a friend that put a 6 psi paxton on a 97 Cobra, it lasted 8500 miles and blew sky high.:rolleyes: Well, that's not fair or a completely accurate characterization of aftermarket blown 4Vs ..... :doubt:

Bartman01
06-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Well, that's not fair or a completely accurate characterization of aftermarket blown 4Vs ..... :doubt:

But it is an accurate representation of what will happen to ANY car when you start messing around with power adders (including modding the '03/'04). All it takes is a bad or overly enthusiastic tune and the engine won't last very long.

If you are going for max power on any car, you are better off either rebuilding the engine to take it - or getting a crate engine that was designed for those power levels. Also expect the car to be in constant need of work if you actually use that power. It will increase wear on the entire drivetrain.

To the original poster - you are better off selling that stuff, selling your car, and buying an 03/04. It would cost less (and be more reliable).

ausie
06-10-2006, 12:40 PM
:thumbsup: probably the best advise yet. That is one reason why I have an 04 SVT, it cost less to trade in than to modify the 01 I had. It can be done but at a high cost, and eventually the bottom half will go, as well as the rear end if the motor survives the boost. It would probably be easier to install the Kenn Bell kit than to tackle installing the Eaton blower used on the 03/04 due to the differences in the belt system and probably other parts that would be needed including the intercooler components. Also considering the maximum HP/torque on the stock transmission and half shafts, some thing will give out and require replacement. Also the fuel system in the 99/01 will not be sufficient for the power adder. The 99/01 as well as the Mach 1 and Mercury marader were optimised for natural aspiration. The block itself was fabricated for the specified power output. Cracks may form in the valley of the block due to the stress of a higher intake charge (not to mention the weak connecting rods and pistons). The only thing in the motor that could probably handle the increase in power is the crankshaft. Also the maximum allowable boost level should be minimized to 6psi where as the Eaton will pump out 8-10 psi. You could probably gain about 50hp by just converting to the 03/04 heads and tune (without forced induction) but that will also require different headers as well as a few other items not to mention the headache of adjusting the timming chains and getting the slop out. The stock intake plenum should fit just fine. In the long run, getting an 03/04 would be the better choice, or just opt for the Shelby gt500. Just about anything can be done but there will be the associated cost to go with it (short term is the purchase of the parts, long term is the repair after something breaks which would cost more than the short term deal). What you should know other than the power adder creates eye popping acceleration is that it also causes damage if not applied properly. Just remember that changing one part may effect the sum of all parts which do have a load tolerance before they explode into splinters. Your car is worth more unmodded than broken.

But it is an accurate representation of what will happen to ANY car when you start messing around with power adders (including modding the '03/'04). All it takes is a bad or overly enthusiastic tune and the engine won't last very long.

If you are going for max power on any car, you are better off either rebuilding the engine to take it - or getting a crate engine that was designed for those power levels. Also expect the car to be in constant need of work if you actually use that power. It will increase wear on the entire drivetrain.

To the original poster - you are better off selling that stuff, selling your car, and buying an 03/04. It would cost less (and be more reliable).

99cobra~
06-10-2006, 05:29 PM
well I think my best bet is to just sell the supercharger. I have pretty much everything for it besides a few bolts on the nose of the super charger. How much do you think I could get out of it on ebay? The only problem is I don't know what all the parts are called for the blower.