PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Vortech - Specific Instructions?

SuperG
06-10-2006, 03:00 PM
My SQ appears to have blown a seal, so I am getting ready to remove it...seems fairly straight forward, but I thought I would look for actual instructions. If you have any or know of any, your help is greatly appreciated!

SNAKEYE
06-12-2006, 09:49 PM
My SQ appears to have blown a seal, so I am getting ready to remove it...seems fairly straight forward, but I thought I would look for actual instructions. If you have any or know of any, your help is greatly appreciated!
What happened here? Replies are missing.

smashedheadcat
06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
I'll do my best to help out. Hmm, you will need a flat head screw driver, a 13mm wrench (ratchet wrench would work nice here) and I believe 15mm for the oil feed line. Not sure on that one though, it's been awhile. And last, if you have the stock tensioner, a 1/2'' drive ratchet and if you have the upgraded steel (black) tensioner, the 13mm wrench will work fine. And a 10mm socket (maybe an 11) for the coolant reservior. Okay, this is a pretty easy task once you've done it a few times.

Remove inlet pipe (at least the elbow that goes onto the blower). If you have an anderson powerpipe....... the whole she-bang may have to come out, I'm not sure. It's been awhile. I don't think it does, but don't be surprised if you have to take it out.

Loosen clamps from the blower to the intake tube (outlet of the blower). Slide the blue silicone connector out of the way.

Remove the 3 nuts that hold the coolant reservoir in position. You don't have to disconnect any coolant lines, just move it so you have room to work.

Now, put the 1/2 drive ratchet on the tensioner and flip the belt off of the water pump pulley.

Slide under the car, disconnect the oil return line. Use a flat head screw driver and loosen the clamp that holds the hose to the tube coming out of the oil pan. You may get a few drops of oil out, but not much.

Next, use the 15mm (I think it's that size) and remove the oil feed line. I pull it off on the blower side, but either side would work fine. You will get some oil coming out of this, so be prepared to catch a few drops (nothing much, a 1/10 of a quart or so).

Now, remove the 13mm bolts (and 1 nut) that hold the blower to the front cover plate, then pull the blower straight out the top.

DONE. :)

SuperG
06-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks Josh! You made it sound like it takes about 5 minutes!! Ha! But you're right, it really isn't that tough...

smashedheadcat
06-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks Josh! You made it sound like it takes about 5 minutes!! Ha! But you're right, it really isn't that tough...

If you do it enough times, 10-15 minutes and you can get it outta there. :thumbsup: