PDA

View Full Version : 2004 SVT Cobra 6 speed Transmission issue

cobradd
06-10-2006, 08:05 PM
I have a 2004 Cobra SVT with a 6 speed manual trans. The vehicle has aprox. 7500 miles on it at this time. The issue is that the shifter jumps out of 3rd gear. When running thru the gears even in a normal situation it pops out of 3rd, it does not do this in any other gear. I'm new to this type of transmission and am not the original owner. I'm trying to figure out if this is just a shifter issue or something deeper. If it is something more expensive does anyone know my options if I would put a TCI or Rosslers automatic trany in this car to run at the track?

cobrabitn
06-10-2006, 10:53 PM
You should still be under warranty so take it back to the dealership. If not, the 6 speed in these cars are pretty stout so I'd probably just go back with a new one. :thumbsup:

ausie
06-11-2006, 01:09 PM
It is possible that there may be some binding occuring in the shift boot or could be the shifter itself (shift stop may be out of spec). Any pressure applied to the shifter especially when accelerating could cause it to slip out of gear. Do you know if the shifter is the stock unit or aftermarket? If it is an aftermarket part, it may just be the shift stops were not adjusted properly. Not sure if there are rubber pads on the shifters (since I have yet to take one apart) but if there are, it may be possible that a rubber pad has become jammed into an area it should not be.

mrpork
06-17-2006, 10:09 PM
mine also did that but it stopped after about 10000 miles

mystic04
06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
i have had the same problem jumping out of 3rd gear but not with the stock shifet only a after market one i have a kerbian shifter.i replaced the stock shifter and the problem went away. then i sen my kerbian back and they sent me a new one now it has started to jump out of 3rd gear just like the first one did, check to see if the isolator cup is still in the shaft wehre the shifter ball mounts to it may be the cause of the problem i lost mine i think cause i don;t remmeber seeing it when i changed shifters . i talked to a ford tranny rep at maple grove on saturday he said it could be a few things but other have said it has to be the shifter cause it dosen't do it with the stock shifter in at all.Aslo spoke wiht 2 people from gforce tansmission they also said check to see if the isolator cup is in place. it's a small plastic peice that may come out if you take out the stock shifter you may not notice you removed it if it got stuck on the shifter ball.i need to order a new one just to make sure it's still in the shifter shaft.

GA04COBRA
06-25-2006, 02:32 PM
it sounds like you have a after-market shifter that has the stops adjusted improperly....check the shifter and see if it still has the rubber vibration isolator between the two shifter shafts...if the rubber is gone you probably have a after-market....mgw & other manufactures i have talked with state that the t-56 trans. does not require that you even use the stops...the stock shift forks are strong enough to handle just about anything except full race mode..if you are un-sure of how to check go to "mgw's" web site for detailed instructions.

now for the good news for the older guys like my-self.. HURST now offers a after-market shifter for the t-56 with the old style handle and white knob with shift pattern....i have had 5.0 pro, steeda tri-ax and mgw shifters in the past and i installed the new hurst and have not missed a gear yet...the handle might be a little tall for some but since my cobra is a daily driver i enjoy the smoothness and it is a shorter throw than stock...also very quite...

if youj are interested, gene evans ford in union city, ga. has the best price (169.00)...mustang unlimited wanted 199.00 but did not have in stock in Ga.