PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon lite on ?? 01 Cobra

bitzman
06-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Can anyone tell me what this really means- I have 17,000 miles on the car and everything seems ok- is this just a ploy to get me in to a Ford dealer and spend some $$$ for no real reason??
Thanks, Mark

blk04cobra1
06-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Can anyone tell me what this really means- I have 17,000 miles on the car and everything seems ok- is this just a ploy to get me in to a Ford dealer and spend some $$$ for no real reason??
Thanks, Mark
I would swing by Advance Auto Parts and have them scan it to see what code comes up...let us know what code and then you can tell if you need to go to Ford :thumbsup:

SNAKEYE
06-15-2006, 06:22 AM
First, is your gas cap installed correctly? Don't laugh. If not properly installed it won't pass onboard diagnostics. Remove it, re-install it, then drive normal for 3-4 trips. The "service engine" light should go out if the gas cap was the problem.
Second, at 17K miles you might be due for an air filter change. You can DIY, and while you're under the hood, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for 30 seconds or so and the "service engine" light will go out. If it comes back on then head into the Zone.

ausie
06-15-2006, 06:59 AM
You could opt to by a scan tool and read the codes yourself. Plus if you have other fords from 1985 up to 2004(depending on what ECU is in the car which is when some of the Spanish Oak processors migrated into the new 05 models like the F150 etc...)

The check engine light can indicate several things which may be severe or minor. If an 02 sensor went to sleep and became sluggish in response, if the coolant level has dropped, if the oil level has been depleted, etc.... A scan tool is great since you can read the codes and get a description of the fault which will help you deterimine what to do next. First look at the simple things like all fluid levels. If that is fine than take the car to Auto zone, advanced auto, or some others that may offer the service for free. In some cases the codes may indicate just an out of bounds condition which could be an easy fix by disconnecting the sensor plug and reconnecting it. It does not always mean that the sensor is bad but sometimes that is the direct case. Code scanners have more that just reading codes, some can initiate an emmisions test to verify if the emissions equipment is functional. Also you can clear the codes with it as well as read any pending codes that have not issued a fault condition. If disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds does not work, try 30 minutes. The long duration will reset the EPROM data so the car rebuilds its runtime adjustments and operating parameters. Purging the EPROM is required when you change air filters, spark plugs, and cat-back exhausts, basic minor changes. The ECU only performs the calibration of parameters for the first 500 miles and then stops the data adjustments. The EPROM stores the A/F corrections used by the processor. If for any reason you made a minor change to the motor it is possible that the ECU will initiate a fault if the A/F ratio cannot be controlled. Best to read the codes to find out what is up with the check engine light than just resetting it by disconnectng the battery. In any case, if there is an issue the check engine light will come back on sooner or later if the fault was not corrected.