PDA

View Full Version : 1999 SVT Cobra info

hv9200
06-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Hello All,

I am looking for some info, first a little background...My dad recently expressed some interest in acquiring a convertible "something" for him and my Mom to cruise around on nice days...to the beach etc..basically a fun car they can enjoy during their retirement...

after some looking he has come across a 1999 SVT Cobra mustang conv. (Rio Red) with 19K miles.

I am quite car savvy, but not particularly a Ford guy (go easy guys..) and was hoping to get some info on what I should be looking for here. I did explain to him that this is a performance car and not exactly the best choice for him and my Mom to cruise around in (I pictured a BMW 3 series or similar) but he really seems to like it...

anyway...what should I look for in as far as potential problems with this vehicle. Any quircks with 1999 model year? I know its less than desirable to true cobra guys due to some horsepower issues...but that may be a good thing in this case...any info would be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance...

sssvtcobra
06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Well I've never owned a '99 but been into mustangs for a long time now. I'll try to help you out. The main thing with the '99 is the "fix" issue. Ford created a fix for the '99's because the horsepower wasn't at it's rated number. It included a new free flowing exhaust system, a different intake, and I believe different heads, also a reflash of the computer to get the power up 320hp. They sent out notices to the original owners, and it was all paid for by Ford. I'm guessing with that low of miles it was well kept up, and that the original owner had the fix done. There should be a sticker somewhere under the hood if it had the "fix" done. Or you could call a dealer and give them the vin# and they should be able to tell you.

I think there are problems with the tranny that some owners are having, but not quite sure. But if your parents are just planning on using it for cruising they probably wouldn't have any problems.

But as with any car you should get a carfax pulled on it, especially a sports car. But that is pretty low miles, so I'm sure it was a "sunny day" car. Do know anything about the previous owner? That's one thing I always try to find out. What age, where did they live (race tracks nearby), etc.

Hope it helps

rpalmer
06-15-2006, 11:44 PM
a fun car they can enjoy during their retirement...

There you go. Don't look any further. This is absolutely sure to put a smile on their faces and keep them young.

The only thing about the convertible that I didn't like is all the cowl shake over rough pavement (so I got a hardtop). But there's chassis stiffening parts available out there if they ever find that annoying.

Mine's been a reliable, dependable, and greatly fun car.

If they're not the type to drop the clutch at 5 grand with slicks and don't powershift the crap out of the T-45, or supercharge the daylights out of the engine, they shouldn't ever run into any of the weak links commonly discussed on these boards.

As long as they have healthy left legs they should have a blast with it.

-RP

cobrabitn
06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
What RP and sssvtcobra said except they didn't change the heads for the fix. They did the intake, exhaust, and a reflash. There's also a recall on the IRS for different bushings.

I sold my 99 Cobra with 25K on the clock and it didn't have any problems once the "fix" and the "vibe" were fixed. I tracked mine and took it to the dragstrip at least twice a year and never had a problem with it. It had mods done to it and still no problems. It's a great vehicle as far as ride and power is concerned but like RP said, get a brace for the cowl to eliminate shake when going over rough roads. I think they'd be happy with it! :thumbsup:

hv9200
06-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys!

I did some searches here and actually called the SVT 800# and got tons of info from them on this car, the updates were performed by the original owner. This car was owned by an older gentleman and appears not to have been messed with at all. (although all I have seen is digital camera pics to date). I will be looking and driving this one tomorrow morning and giving Dad the thumbs up or down.

thanks again for the responses