PDA

View Full Version : 94 Cobra Seat Repair Question

ggrab
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
I've just recently joined the site here since I am the proud new owner of a 1994 Rio Red Cobra with a black leather interior. This car was meticulously cared for, and it shows. It has just over 38,500 miles. When I brought the car home it only needed a re-charge of the AC and new front rotors (I have already fixed both issues). However, yesterday I noticed that the seat did not "feel" right on my drive home from work. When I got out I noticed a large bulge sticking out of the back side of the seat. It appears to be the inflatable lumbar support. Before I tear into the seat I would like to know if anyone else has dealt with this problem and what may be involved in fixing it. Any help would be appreciated.

cobrabitn
06-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Did you deflate the lumbar support?

ggrab
06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Yes, I delfated the lumbar support. The bulge on the back side of the seat got somewhat smaller, but was still there. Something has obviously gone wrong, becasue the seat did not look like that until yesterday. The passenger seat still looks as it should. The lumbar on the pasenger side inflates/deflates as it should without causing the bulge on the back side.

ggrab
06-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Took the seat back out of the car today and opened it up. The problem is that the bag that inflates the lumbar support has torn on one side and is no longer anchored to the steel seat frame. I guess I'll be calling the Ford dealer tomorrow to see how much they are going to charge me for that little plastic bag. I bet it will be a shocker.

By the way, does anyone know how to remove the headrest from the seat? Might save me a while trying to figure it out myself.

ggrab
06-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Ordered the lumbar bag (is that what it's called?) from the Ford dealer today. It was $37 and change. Not as bad as I thought, but still more than the $10 I think it is worth.

Removed the headrest tonight. It turns out that you need to stick your hand up inside the seat and pry back on a metal tab (I used a straight blade screwdriver) that releases the headrest. It also appears that there is something much like a razor blade up in there since I got two deep cuts on my hand that are very much like what I have done to myself in the past with the utility knife.

My wife swears that the utility knife is the one tool she is going to take away from me. I am careful with my power tools, but tend to careless with that utility knife, especially when I am in a hurry (seems to be most of the time). I've never cut myself with a power tool, but I have done some nasty looking things with the utility knife.

venomous
06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Glad to hear you fixed it. I've never heard of those going bad, but now I know where to look if mine goes out!