PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever cleaned their MAF?

nckissfan
06-17-2006, 10:12 PM
my car is running rough, and I have read that it may be a dirty MAF from the K&N filter. Has anyone ever cleaned one of these? Is it best to remove the MAF all the way, or can I just clean it while on the car?

blk04cobra1
06-18-2006, 10:04 AM
my car is running rough, and I have read that it may be a dirty MAF from the K&N filter. Has anyone ever cleaned one of these? Is it best to remove the MAF all the way, or can I just clean it while on the car?
I would take it off and make sure there are no heavy deposits on the inside...then clean the filter (or buy a new one). Take a pic of the filter so we can see what it looks like :thumbsup: .

Lumpydogs
06-18-2006, 12:21 PM
CRC has a brand new Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner out on the market.
Unfortunately, I haven't be able to find it anywhere, yet.

www.crcindustries.com

ausie
06-18-2006, 02:45 PM
CRC has a brand new Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner out on the market.
Unfortunately, I haven't be able to find it anywhere, yet.

www.crcindustries.com (http://www.crcindustries.com)
I just got some the other day at PEP BOYS. They had it as well as Air intake cleaners. It works about the same as the CRC electrical parts cleaner and does not leave any residue like the throttle body cleaners would.

nckissfan
06-18-2006, 02:46 PM
ok, thanks for the information:thumbsup:

nckissfan
06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
ok, pulled the MAF off, cleaned, and reoiled my K&N filter, cleaned the MAF let air dry. Put it all together, and the car didn't want to stay running at first. But, I coaxed it a little, was idling around 200-300. I drove it around the block, came back and let it idle for 10 minutes. Then, I took it up the road, not fast, just granny shifting. I came back, and it was idling better, up to 800-900, like it used to before the problem.

The sensors on the MAF were completely black, no pictures. After using the CRC cleaner, they are white again. The check engine light immediately went off when I first cranked up.

Lumpydogs
06-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Great news!

Here's a hint. Next time unplug the battery for a few minutes. This will force the computer to re-calculate the idle immediately upon restarting. Otherwise the computer is trying to find the best average from old to new.

Driving the car around for a few minutes does the same thing.

nckissfan
06-20-2006, 07:25 PM
I did unhook the negative post before I started working on it. I read a write up on doing this procedure, and it said it takes the computer a little while to find the optimum mixture.

ausie
06-24-2006, 12:06 PM
If you cannot find the MAF cleaner, a good substitute is electrical parts cleaner which will not harm electrical windings or any electrical varnish used on fine wires in solenoids or MAF sensors.

nckissfan
06-24-2006, 02:06 PM
yeah, most all parts stores, and Wal Mart have the CRC Electrical cleaner. I guess the MAF sensor cleaner is very new.