PDA

View Full Version : How much is this 97 Cobra worth?

Blown96Snake
07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
My friend is looking at a 97 Cobra that is in mint condition. It only has 45k miles and has been garaged all its life. So.....I don't think any of my black books, kbb, etc will do it justice.

He said the seller wants $15000 for it. I told him I thought it was a little high, but if he was planning to keep it stock and wanted a nice car, it might be a good buy. I know those are harder to find in great shape with lower miles.

What do you guys think?

Dave

RF Cobra
07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
As a buyer I would want the seller to come down on price, probably to around $10-12k. However, other factors, such as what else is currently available, how bad does he want this one, can it be kept pristine once bought, if financing, can he put down the difference needed to get the loan, etc, are also all factors. If all this applies and he just has to have a '97 then he may be willing to pay a premium and be happy with it. I would spend some time doing some serious thinking though before paying a premium on a vehicle and there would have to be some really valid reasons for wanting to do it other than "I just gotta have it."

But, I would not recommend paying a premium if it means having to keep it put away (garage queen) in order to keep it pristine since these cars were meant to be driven. Another thing to consider is that low miles could also be a bad thing if the fluids have been allowed to sit too long without being changed, and the seals on the AC can dry out and crack if it has not been run frequently enough.

If it is a private seller then he probably has some additional markup for negotiation built into the price. If a dealer, then as you know, he has a good bit of padding to compensate for negotiation and allow them to still sell it and make a profit.

nckissfan
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
just a coupe? I would say $10k. It's nice to find a car with lower miles, but if you look on kbb, I bet the miles don't change it that much. There are others out there, that he can find for less money, in my opinion.

after looking on KBB, the car at private party resale is worth $9,665. That is given the excellent rating, as they don't have a mint rating. So, I would say no more than $10-11k. Really, it is worth what your friend is willing to pay.

Larry95
07-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I paid close to that price for my '95 a year ago with only 7,000 on it. But then again, as it has been said here before, I wanted the 5.0, extra low miles, and extra clean car, so I was willing to pay the price.

Blown96Snake
07-12-2006, 10:40 AM
I was thinking probably around 12k, but I don't know how bad he wants a SN95....

Dave

SuperG
07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
...and depending on what your friend really wants...the same car with an extra 100 Hp can be found all over the place for $15k...

pat-b
09-04-2006, 12:55 AM
I have a 1997 cobra that is not absolutely perfect but still very nice. Less than 78k miles. It is black with saddle leather interior. Mach 460 audio. It has a 3"cowl hood that has been painted. It has Smoked headlights, corners, and fog lights. Less than 500 miles ago I put in a rebuilt t56 with a new clutch, custom drive shaft, and dallas mustang speed cal in the car. The car also has bbk cated high flow h pipe and a exhaust system from MAC. (Car sounds awsome) Look at www.cardomain.com/ride/2440790/1 for pics.
If your friend is interested have him e-mail me at POB369@lionmail.lindenwood.edu
I am asking for 14000, but that is for negoitating room.