PDA

View Full Version : Shifting / clutch questions

BlueOvalPower
07-15-2006, 05:56 PM
It seems to be getting a little harder to shift at times nothings "popping" out of gear just 1-2 and 2-3's not power shifting but agressive shifting it can be tough, I have had the sound of like there is a box of rocks rumbling in the trans area and I have been thinking it may be the throw out from other things I have read and I have a clutch quadrant and fire wall adjuster on the way, does this sound like a clutch/throw out bearing issue or am I looking in the wrong area?

I have a MGW shifter, since I have owned it, it has never been raced my buddy has a Mach 1 04 and I really like the way his shifts compared to mine a lot smoother and seems to be a little more forgiving, this is like it has to be on the money everytime.

If I go to change out the throw-out bearing should I just go ahead andchange the clutch or is there specs I should go by, my Cobra has about 12,400 miles on it. thanks

InfamousSVT
07-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Do you have a squeak or is it just "popping" sounds coming from the tranny? Does it happen only when you engage the clutch?

It seems that it maybe a throwout bearing, an aftermarket clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster is a good investment. If you're going to go to the trouble to changeout your throwout bearing you should go ahead and replace the clutch while you're there, just get the flywheel resurfaced and use a stock ford replacement throwout bearing :thumbsup:

BlueOvalPower
07-16-2006, 10:59 PM
It sounds like a rock tumbler almost but quiet muffled, when the clutch is not engaged it is fine at idle, no noise, I was doing some general reading and one of the common statements with it not shifting smooth is the throw out bearing, I practically have to get the rpms down to 1k to shift and the clutch is tight but I also know without a firewall adjuster its not going to change at all, maybe I will try that first, but what you are saying is any clutch set up I go with I should stick with a FMS throw out? not the matching to the clutch? And the big question is what is a fair price to pay in labor for that to be swapped, I have always done this myself on older cars mainly 60's / 70's era cars, thanks for the reply.

InfamousSVT
07-17-2006, 07:13 AM
I've got the DFX 26-spline set-up on my car and the centerforce throwout bearing is nothing more than a stock replacement, that's why I say stick with the stock replacement. The stock replacement throw out bearing is a self adjusting one and will cause less headache for you on install. The clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster will be your best bet to narrowing down your search. You will tell a big difference after you install those things.........I recommend the Maximum Motorsports quadrant and firewall adjuster :thumbsup:

ausie
07-17-2006, 08:20 AM
If it is not squeeling but sounds like a rock tumbler, it may be the guide tube that is causing the issue. When I changed my exhaust back to a stock spec I noticed that my transmission or shifter is very noisy and it sounded similar to what you described especially when driving slow. I had issues with my TOB but that caused problems shifting at any speed even when sitting still and the engine was running. The clutch quadrant cured most of that but the bearing was already gone and by 18k miles so was the flywheel and clutch.

After the quadrant was installed I had no issues shifting in any gear even with the stock shifter in place which I have yet to swap out. :thumbsup:

BlueOvalPower
07-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Well I put on the quadrant and firewall adjuster, I screwed up the new adjustable cable, so I had to reuse the old cable no big deal, a HUGE difference I really think the cable was stretched, when I open the box at the trans I could almost pull the cable off by hand and probably could have if I tried hard enough, so I think the noise was chatter from the loose cable, I just drove it around the block a couple of times for adjustment, the engagement is still a little too high for me but I will get that worked out when I get the new cable, it is shifting a whole lot smoother in all gears and downshifting a whole lot easier, not sure if having the cable stretched like that can hurt the clutch but if I can put that off for a little while it would be of great help, thanks

ausie
07-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Well I put on the quadrant and firewall adjuster, I screwed up the new adjustable cable, so I had to reuse the old cable no big deal, a HUGE difference I really think the cable was stretched, when I open the box at the trans I could almost pull the cable off by hand and probably could have if I tried hard enough, so I think the noise was chatter from the loose cable, I just drove it around the block a couple of times for adjustment, the engagement is still a little too high for me but I will get that worked out when I get the new cable, it is shifting a whole lot smoother in all gears and downshifting a whole lot easier, not sure if having the cable stretched like that can hurt the clutch but if I can put that off for a little while it would be of great help, thanks
If the clutch engagement is too high, the pressure plate may be under too much tension which may lead to clutch slipping and premature wear out of the clutch or burned up flywheel. I ran into a similar issue when I installed the firewall adjuster and quadrant. The cable that came with the kit was the adjustable type but probably the wrong cable since I could not get more than 1/2 inch of travel out of it once installed. I also have a period of squeeling that would come and go. Once I heard it and pressed in the clutch it would go away. Also when pulling out from a stop I would have a nasty noise with the clutch fully grabbing the flywheel. After Ford replaced the TOB, they also found that the clutch was down to the rivits. I am not too happy with the Ford replacement parts and once they wear out I am getting a much better clutch assembly. 18k miles out of a clutch is too short a life for what I am used too. It may be possible that the 24 passes on the drag strip helped shorten the life span of the clutch along with some of my driving habits. Other cars I have had in the past that had manual transmissions the clutch would last about 90k miles but the output of the motor on those vehicles was something to laugh about when compared to the 04 Cobra.