PDA

View Full Version : Metal in Oil Question

SuperG
07-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Vortech called to say they replaced the bearing and seals for the SQ and that it had some metal particles in it...I did not think to ask what kind of metal. But I do have the oil in my garage still, so I will test it with a magnet. Also, I will drain the oil pan and remove it to see what might be in there.

What kind of metal particulates will you find in oil and from where do they come? Any typical places?

Thanks for the help!

ausie
07-17-2006, 08:08 AM
If the metal fragments are steel, it could be from the piston sleeves, rings, bearings, oil pump, or from the cams. It could have originated from the supercharger itself. The best place to find metal fragments is in the old oil filter. If you do find fragments in the oil filter and they are not magnetic it would more than likely be aluminum which probably came from the heads, pistons or even the block. A certain amount of metal fragments is typical during break in period but not sure how much would develop with milage.

ausie
07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
I almost forgot that the gears in the supercharger may be the source of the metal fragments as well. :(

SuperG
07-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Vortech guys said it wasn't...Still checking.

ausie
08-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Have you found out where the source of metal fragements are comming from?