PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter location

Snakeoil
08-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I can't find in search anything about the fuel filter location on my 99 Cobra vert. I get a stumble/ruff running at low rpm's, no codes. I thought I'd start with filter before I get into cleaning injectors. I bought the car 4 months ago with 4949 original miles now has 9500, I think the fuel filter is 7 yrs old. I've tried 5 bottles of injector cleaner with no improvement, Autozone says the filter is under passenger seat, I can't find it, Anybody? I am selling the car but need to make it perfect before I do.

ausie
08-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Fuel filter loaction, It is attached to the chasis right above the rear differential and in front of the fuel tank. Autozone is correct on the general location. The Fuel filter should be changed every 16k miles.

If you decide to clean the injectors, go to the ford dealer ahead of time and get yourself the fuel injector "O" ring kit ($12.00) and replace all the "O" rings on the injectors before reinserting them (the old O rings have a tendency to seal themselves to the fuel rail and lower plenum and they may tear or get damaged when you remove the fuel rail and injector. Lubricate the O rings with a little bit of oil so they do not get damaged when you re-assemble the fuel rails.

Stumble/rough run at low rpm may be related to a few things, PCV valve, vacuum leak, dirty air filter, dirty MAF sensor, dirty throttle body, leaking EGR valve and the list may be much longer than that. However, worn plugs will do the same thing especially if you get hesitation after applying the throttle (I would at least inspect the plugs first, if you look at the plugs on the passenger side, you can inspect the throttle body, MAF and air filter at the same time since all of the intake tract needs to be removed ).

Also, 02 sensors may be slow on response causing the A/F curve to be rich if that were the case, you could use a scan tool to check the emissions functions (if the scanner is equipt to do so).

Snakeoil
08-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info, I did change plugs, the old ones were lean, white. the throttle body looks new. I'm betting the injectors need cleaning. I'll change the filter today.

mrpork
08-12-2006, 01:24 PM
why are you selling it when you just bought it

Snakeoil
08-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I bought it for short term fun, I buy 2 or 3 sportscars per year, I am a Fordman and this was as close I'd ever get to a owning a 66 AC Cobra, I had some weekend trips with it, my wife drove it to work daily, now its time to move on to something differant, Life is to short to linger, I'm 56 and getting older each day. Thinking of a Solstice(?), MR2 or a 03-05 Tbird. It costs me about 5-6 large per year but, I know people who drink that much.

Now, I have located the fuel filter. How do I get the ends off???

Snakeoil
08-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Did some further research and found there is a removal tool which I shall purchase in the morning.