PDA

View Full Version : Catback system Bassani, Borla or Magnapack...

96mysticcali
08-16-2006, 06:03 AM
i have a 96 mystic cobra and wanted to upgrade my exhaust system...i have already order a O/R BBK x-pipe...and i wanted to know wat brand to go with for my catback :rolleyes:...im looking for a very agressive sound :mad:...what do you guys think...

im all ears...

dewone
08-16-2006, 08:57 AM
SLP Cats and any straight through muffler. Magna Flow, Borla..........

nckissfan
08-16-2006, 08:58 AM
you can count out Borla, as they don't make a catback setup for the 96/97 Cobra:( . I want one of theirs, but unless I build my own, I wont be able to have it. They do, however, sell the piping, mufflers seperately. If you wanted, you could get someone to weld you one together.

The Bassani sounds awesome, in my opinion.

The Magnapacks sound aggressive, too.

ProfChaos
08-17-2006, 05:14 AM
i have a 96 mystic cobra and wanted to upgrade my exhaust system...i have already order a O/R BBK x-pipe...and i wanted to know wat brand to go with for my catback :rolleyes:...im looking for a very agressive sound :mad:...what do you guys think...

im all ears...

These things are largely a matter of taste--what type of tone you find most appealing, and whether or not you want to have to occasionally crank the stereo to compensate for a louder exhaust. That said, let me add my two cents on the tone issue: My '96 came with Borla muffers behind a Bassani off-road X-pipe, and during the process of getting rid of a hatchet job on the previous owner's pipe-bending from the X-pipe back, I had custom mandrel-bent pipes added with Flowmaster dual-chamber low-restriction mufflers, and they, IMHO, make the Borlas sound, comparatively speaking, very brassey and buzzy: The Flowmaster mufflers offer a very throaty, rich tone, one that I find to be a real head-turner wherever I go. :) They are, however, very loud in combination with the off-road X-pipe.

cheers,
-Professor Chaos

blk04cobra1
08-17-2006, 09:03 AM
agree with Prof Chaos on this one, it's personal preference...so IMO Bassani :thumbsup:

Big Daddy
08-17-2006, 09:12 AM
agree with Prof Chaos on this one, it's personal preference...so IMO Bassani :thumbsup:

What he said! or DITTO! :thumbsup:

96mysticcali
08-17-2006, 06:59 PM
well i think im gonna take profchaos advice and go with the flowmaster...:thumbsup: i think i would like a more deeper throaty tone...also when i ordered my O/R x-pipe i ask the guy from Brothers Performance and he also recommended flowmaster...so flowmaster it is....

so now that my exhaust is complete...wat else should i do to it...its not a everyday driver...i drive it maybe once or twice a week...mostly on the weekends..i want to start with all the bolt ons and then mess with the internals and inductions....so im all ears...:D

oh by the way im a rookie at this so bare with me....:rolleyes:

blk04cobra1
08-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Well, there's long tubes, intake, underdrive pulley's, rear gear swap (best seat of the pants difference for a N/A car), throttle body, short throw shifter, cams....there's plenty of bolt-on's to keep you busy...also could throw in a small shot of the giggle juice :thumbsup:

96mysticcali
08-18-2006, 03:21 PM
blk04cobra1 when u say a small shot of giggle juice....how much do u mean? like a 100 shot or 150 shot???? wat would be a safe kit...dry or wet?

blk04cobra1
08-19-2006, 09:37 AM
blk04cobra1 when u say a small shot of giggle juice....how much do u mean? like a 100 shot or 150 shot???? wat would be a safe kit...dry or wet?
I would start at 75 shot and go from there....most '98 cobra's can handle a 100 shot without issues, but for me I'd like to see the results of each and go from there...from what we've seen and read, that motor will efficiently and safely hold low 400's in the rwhp department. A dry shot would be fine in this case :thumbsup: .

96mysticcali
08-25-2006, 02:41 AM
hey fellas, just wanted to let yall knoe i got my bbk O/R x-pipe and flowmaster 40series cat back...man oh man wat a difference...it sound really good...not too loud and but, u can hear me coming....thanx for the advice...:D

i think im addicted now...more mods too come:thumbsup:

Playtme
08-25-2006, 01:37 PM
hey fellas, just wanted to let yall knoe i got my bbk O/R x-pipe and flowmaster 40series cat back...man oh man wat a difference...it sound really good...not too loud and but, u can hear me coming....thanx for the advice...:D

i think im addicted now...more mods too come:thumbsup:
With my 40 series flowmasters on the GT I had a bad drone at 2100 to 2500. Do you notice any drone with your set up?

Looking for a cat back for the cobra also.

Squad99Snake
08-27-2006, 11:16 AM
I had magnapacks on my 01 gt with an offroad h, loud as hell! Sounded great, considering putting them on my 99 cobra.

96mysticcali
08-30-2006, 02:27 AM
around 2000 - 3000 it just gets really deep....but i really like my set up...its a head turner.....:D

98 cobra
09-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I have a BBK off road H-pipe with welded up standard 40 series flowmasters because they don't make them in a cat back system only delta flows and they are stupid loud. badly resontes at 1800-2200. I also have alot of popping like I lack back presure or something (I hope thats the reason). I am also shopping around for a new cat back. I prefer to go with the low rumble. I just haven't found it yet. HELP!!!

im all ears...

98 cobra
09-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Does the magnapacks have in your opinion a raspy sound???

Shopping around....
around 2000 - 3000 it just gets really deep....but i really like my set up...its a head turner.....:D

97BlackSnake
09-10-2006, 09:34 PM
I just put the magnapacks on mine last week. I love them :D I don't think they sound raspy. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Dan

ProfChaos
09-16-2006, 11:20 PM

im all ears...

I have an off-road Bassani X-pipe adjoined to Flowmaster low-restriction mufflers. The system is wonderfully loud and turns heads at nearly every corner. :D

cheers,
--Professor Chaos