PDA

View Full Version : PATS Question - Cannot Start Car

SuperG
08-21-2006, 07:37 PM
I just replaced the O2 Sensors on my Cobra and now I cannot start the car. The THEFT light flashes and flashes and the engine just cranks.

I have only 1 key, no spare (maybe dropped too many times?)...am I stuck and need to tow the car to a dealer?

I cannot find any improper grounds and I checked all the fuses...

Thanks!

blk04cobra1
08-21-2006, 09:32 PM
It's kind of ironic that you are running in to this situation as Venomsvt just had the same issues...we had to tow his to the dealer and they replaced the PATS module ($140 for the module) and then the car cranked. He was experiencing the exact same issues as yourself. If you have AAA, they usually tow up to 100 miles for free...good luck and let me know if you need any more info :thumbsup:

SuperG
08-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks! It seems that was the issue...on svtperformance, it was suggested a good locksmith can reprogram a new key, but I wonder if the PATS was kind of whacko when I got the car to begin with.

ausie
08-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Did you have an issue before? I do recall someone had an aftermarket chip that may have been defective and they had it replaced which fixed the problem with the theft circuit. I doupt that replacing the O2 sensors would cause a start failure (unless one of the plug connectors is loose).

The passive anti-theft system may be the culprit. Too much driving like you stole it probably set if off into a submissive anti-theft system. That almost reminds me of a joke about a camel that would only walk a few miles before you had to get off and do something.

SuperG
08-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Did you have an issue before? I do recall someone had an aftermarket chip that may have been defective and they had it replaced which fixed the problem with the theft circuit. I doupt that replacing the O2 sensors would cause a start failure (unless one of the plug connectors is loose).

The passive anti-theft system may be the culprit. Too much driving like you stole it probably set if off into a submissive anti-theft system. That almost reminds me of a joke about a camel that would only walk a few miles before you had to get off and do something.
Yikes!! hopefully THAT'S not what I have to do!! And I do have a Superchip...Hmmm. In the meantime, it seems it needs to go to the dealer to not only get the keys, but for them to somehow program those keys.

VenomSVT
08-22-2006, 11:54 PM
It's kind of ironic that you are running in to this situation as Venomsvt just had the same issues...we had to tow his to the dealer and they replaced the PATS module ($140 for the module) and then the car cranked. He was experiencing the exact same issues as yourself. If you have AAA, they usually tow up to 100 miles for free...good luck and let me know if you need any more info :thumbsup:Yep last week was not fun.:eek: She seems to be working fine now though.:thumbsup:
Now last winter my car did the same thing if it was below 40 degs outside. However, if I heated up the computer and chip (hairdryer)....the car would start. At first it was recommended from a Ford mechanic that I replace the computer. Wrong! I wasted my money.:mad: A new chip was the answer.

SuperG
08-23-2006, 09:22 AM
It's at Ford now...we'll see what the word is...