PDA

View Full Version : 99 Cobra Oil change

99cobra~
08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey I don't have an owners manual so I need to know how many qts of oil I need to put in. Also I was wondering if you guys are running synthetics or not. If you have certain oil brand / filter that you use feel free to give me your thoughs guys thanks!

nckissfan
08-21-2006, 10:20 PM
the 97 manual says 6 qts. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic. I bought a K&N oil filter this last time, just to try it out.

ausie
08-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Synthetic oils are not much different from conventional oil except that the synthetic oil has gone through more refinement along with special additives. Also they have different characteristics when under pressure and temperature that exceeds the performance of conventional motor oil. My preference in synthetics would be AMSOIL (series 2000 racing 20w-50) or Royal Purple (5w-20 or 10w-30). You should not jump into a heavy weight oil in other brands since they will be too thick a viscosity although the amsoil racing 20w-50 may have the rating but it pours like a 5w-20 even when cold. I did buy a quart of Royal Purple 20w-50 just to see how it would compare and it does not since it is very thick like most 20w-50 oils are. Best to stay with the Ford recommended viscosity to avoid any issues down the road. As for filters, I typically use Mobil 1 filters since I never had problems with them. The only other option would be to use a motorcraft filter, K&N may be okay to use as well. You want a filter that is constructed of quality materials, one that installs easy as well as removes easy. The stiffer the steel casing the better since that will avoid having to remove the filter in pieces (Fram has let me down with this issue many times before on a few rare occasions).

99SVT3753
08-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I used Castrol GTX since I had to get the RPMs up higher than most to get the horsepower needed for the engine. - 6800-7250 all the time

Not sure which I'm gonna use in the 5.4 just yet since I won't need to take the RPMs over 6000.

blk04cobra1
08-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey I don't have an owners manual so I need to know how many qts of oil I need to put in. Also I was wondering if you guys are running synthetics or not. If you have certain oil brand / filter that you use feel free to give me your thoughs guys thanks!
stock oil pan should hold 6 qt's...we usually fill it with 5.5 qt's then, let it run for a bit...check it and if it needs to be added, we'll fill her up...:thumbsup:

VenomSVT
08-22-2006, 10:37 PM
I've always used Castrol GTX (non synthetic) and a Ford Motorcraft filter.:thumbsup:

99cobra~
08-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Synthetic oils are not much different from conventional oil except that the synthetic oil has gone through more refinement along with special additives. Also they have different characteristics when under pressure and temperature that exceeds the performance of conventional motor oil. My preference in synthetics would be AMSOIL (series 2000 racing 20w-50) or Royal Purple (5w-20 or 10w-30). You should not jump into a heavy weight oil in other brands since they will be too thick a viscosity although the amsoil racing 20w-50 may have the rating but it pours like a 5w-20 even when cold. I did buy a quart of Royal Purple 20w-50 just to see how it would compare and it does not since it is very thick like most 20w-50 oils are. Best to stay with the Ford recommended viscosity to avoid any issues down the road. As for filters, I typically use Mobil 1 filters since I never had problems with them. The only other option would be to use a motorcraft filter, K&N may be okay to use as well. You want a filter that is constructed of quality materials, one that installs easy as well as removes easy. The stiffer the steel casing the better since that will avoid having to remove the filter in pieces (Fram has let me down with this issue many times before on a few rare occasions).
my dad is an amsoil dealer so maybe I should just go with that! and you have the mind of an AET major! you always give great info thx ausie! and all you other guys! thanks for the info and personal info about your oil!

ausie
08-23-2006, 07:20 AM

If your dad is an AMSOIL dealer, talk to him about the Series 2000 racing oil. I have a friend at work that is a dealer. Where he used to live, his oil stock was kept in the barn behind his house. I was over to buy some oil in mid winter and the temperature must have been about 20 degrees in the barn. I was going to get a case of the series 2000 20w-50 oil. Just for kicks, I wanted to see how it would pour when it was that cold. Sure enough that did not cause it to become thick, still like water when it is at room temperature. After that I used it in my winter vehicle as well as the 2001 Cobra (It does go out in the cold once in a while when the streets are free and clear). Never had an issue with the oil in either vehicle. As with any oil, it all depends on the condition of the motor and how much wear you may have depending on milage, etc.... Some times you need to add motor flush, or B-12 Chemtool to the crank case to remove sludge or varnish build up prior to the oil change, or the preferred method would be to use an inexpensive oil and filter with the solvents mentioned. You do not need to go overboard with the motor flush, perhaps once a year. (never drive it with solvents in the block, only let it idle for 5 minutes to 10 minutes max).

AMSOIL also has a motor flush solvent as well. Also the automatic transmission fluid is tops :thumbsup: I just recently changed the trans fluid as well as the transfer case fluid in my Explorer. That made a big difference.

nckissfan
08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
how much does the Amsoil compare to say Mobil 1 synthetic?

ausie
08-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Not quite sure how much the Mobil 1 synthetic costs since the last time I used it was back in 2002. That was the first move to synthetic oil for me. Shortly therafter my friend at work started his buisness selling AMSOIL. Cost for AMSOIL is about $8 per quart for the 20w-50 racing oil. I am sure some of the cost will vary for the other oils. Royal Purple was a bit cheaper at the local A&A auto parts location that was just a few blocks away so I started using it. Now the cost of Royal Purple is about the same price (10w-30, non racing oil). The Royal purple racing oil is over $12 a quart. There is a difference between standard type grades and racing oil (due to the additives that are in the oil).

When I have used AMSOIL in my vehicles I normally run it for 5000 miles. Mobil 1 filters are good and they are compatible with synthetic oils and now have an extened life of 7500 miles. I have used Royal Purple for runs of only 3000 miles. I have switched between the two oils a few times. My preference is the amsoil Series 2000 20w-50 racing oil. I have used Lucas oil synthetic but only for a short time since I heard a tapping comming from under one of the valve covers after 500 miles. I doubt that the oil caused it but the additive I thought I bought (pure synthetic oil stabilizer) turned out to be the other stuff that makes the oil sticky. The lucas oil pure synthetic oil stabilizer is a good product (in small amounts). Avoid the other stuff since that will thicken up the oil and cause issues with lash adjusters and other hydraullic actuated parts like chain tensioners, etc... That reminds me of the hard to remove filter which just happen to be the time I tried the Lucas oil. Dang, I still have not taken pictures of that yet. what a mess.

It all depends on how many times I go to the track. If I were to go every weekend I would be chaning oil at the minimum milage interval. I would say it depends on driving habits and what type of driving you do (if you do alot of stop and go type driving that is considered severe driving conditions). Most of my driving does not consist of conjested roads so I could probably drive much farther without a problem. Also, always listen to the motor at startup since I let the motor warm up for about 5 minutes. That is usually when I may detect an odd noise that is not normal. I have not had any issues with amsoil or royal purple in that regard. I have however had issues with Mobil 1 shortly after they changed the oil and added anti-wear agents to it (one reason why I moved from Mobil 1). May have been a chain tensoiner or valve lash adjuster in the 2001 Cobra. The noise did go away after a while with different oil in it and never came back. I will not place the blame on Mobil 1 for the issue since it may just have been a common problem with the 01 motors since others have had similar issues in other forums. Could have been valve overheat for all I know which is due to poor coolant passages in some of the heads.

smashedheadcat
08-24-2006, 01:11 PM
As stated, 6 quarts for the 96-04 cobras. I use motorcraft oil 5w30 in my 03 cobra (also my 97 cobra) and a K&N oil filter.

Aaron94
08-27-2006, 03:03 AM
Josh! Twin Turbo??? Solid Axle??? The "IV VI" has gone through a lot of changes since Summer of '04...