PDA

View Full Version : What brake pads???

93KingCobra
08-26-2006, 01:59 AM
I will be needing new pads for when the 5 lug conv. gets done and I was wondering what pads some of you guys are using for the TRACK/STREET..???

I was thinking about Hawk HP Plus pads.....Does that sound right to you guys??
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
08-26-2006, 02:11 AM
when the 5 lug conv.

when are we doing this man?? I can't WAIT to see those '98 rims on the '93. :thumbsup:

93KingCobra
08-26-2006, 02:15 AM
when are we doing this man?? I can't WAIT to see those '98 rims on the '93. :thumbsup:

After the paint has dryed and the car is back together it will be done :D :D

So what pads???

97CasperCobra
08-26-2006, 02:21 AM
So what pads???

the Performance Friction ones are what I've been running and they've done me fine. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the Hawk HP, though I'm sure the "true" track junkies will respond once they wake up in the morning. They've been in bed for at LEAST 4 hours now. ;)

Carl G
08-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Phil, I am running the Hawk Blue's on the black 03. They are great for the track, very strong, a little pricy, and not very quite for street use. I used the Hawk HP before the Blues, and they do a good job. They will also squeel a little especially when you get some dust on them. They really need top get hot to perform properly. For all around the HP is a good choice.

jimmysidecarr
08-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Probably not much help but I've given up on the dual purpose pad thing.

I'm switching to 4 piston calipers... using the normal pads they come with for the street... race pads for track... probably Carbotech.
Discounts offered for SCMC members. http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm

If you don't mind the noise and dust the Hawk HP+ do work good for dual use pad.

Don't forget cooling ducts. You can get away with a more street friendly pad with cooling. :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
08-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Maybe Performance Friction Z-Rated pads??? I'm not sure what would be a good combo pad.

Sorry the pads I use like to eat rotors and make lots of noise :(

Mephisto
08-26-2006, 01:38 PM
I agree with Perf. Frict. Z rated. They are a good dual use pad. Low dust. Pretty good on track.
Best part is you can buy them at the autoparts store and they have a lifetime garentee.
I must have traded in used pads 4 to 6 times from the same purchase before I put on the 4 piston.
$70 1 time vrs. $150 every time.

93KingCobra
08-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys I guess the Performance Frictions are the way to go... :thumbsup:

Levi
08-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys I guess the Performance Frictions are the way to go... :thumbsup:

They are correct about the Performance Friction Z-Rated pads, good all around use. Check with Bart he is using the Hawk HP Plus pads.
I am using the Hawk Blacks and they are great for track, ok for street but they will make some noise until you get some heat into them and dust up the wheels a little more then the others.

Q: With all the different brake compounds available today, how do I make the proper choice of what to use on my race car.
A: Choosing the proper brake pad compound that will provide the best performance for your motorsports application can be made easier by following some guidelines.

Determine what compounds and styles of brake pads are available for your calipers and type of racing.
Determine the operating temperature of your cars brake system. Heat sensitive paint can be applied to the brake pads and rotors to help you gauge temperature. Tire pyrometers can be used but due to the cool down time the temperature numbers may not be accurate.
Upon learning your system's temperatures, or if you do not know your temperatures contact Hawk performance for recommendations regarding proper brake material for your application.
Other drivers that share your driving style will sometimes provide valuable information that may allow you to learn what brake pads other drivers have used and liked or disliked.
Contact your local racing products dealer and inquire as to what brake pads they offer and recommend for your application.
It’s important to understand different types of racecars, racing surfaces and driving styles may require different levels of braking performance, and many drivers expect the brake system to have a certain feel that suits their individual needs. Because of this, it should not be assumed that what works for one driver would work for all. In some cases the best way to learn what is best for you is to experiment with a variety of friction compounds to determine how a particular pad differs from another regarding issues such as pedal feel, consistency, and rotor and brake pad wear.

Performance Friction
02 Compound – The newest PFC compound offering the highest friction level of all. This also features outstanding initial bite and with great modulation.
01 Compound – 01 has a high flat torque curve, providing excellent pedal modulation. Better pad wear than 83 and faster smoother release. Cold bite comes in at ambient temperature and is effective to over 1200F. 01 polishes the rotor without pad material build up.
99 Compound – Shares the same features as the 97 compound, but with slightly higher torque. These new advanced compounds improve both modulation and release. There is reduced torque rise with temperature with both 97 and 99 compound.
97 Compound – Has a bite slightly higher than 90 compounds. Cold bite comes in at 250 degrees and has a moderate flat torque curve. With the flat torque curve the driver now has the ability to turn the steering wheel in the corner while braking. This compound also releases faster than all of the other above-mentioned compounds.
93 Compound – 93 was developed as the next step after 83. The improvements are better release characteristics, great improvement for trailing into a corner or modulation at threshold braking. Kinder to discs. 93 come on quicker and has flatter torque curve. But, be careful without finesse you can over slow the car. When it comes to ultimate performance with finesse, this is second to none. Cold bite comes in at 250-275 degrees and has an effective torque curve over 1200 degrees.
90 Compound – 90 was developed at the same time as 93 and is very similar with lower torque output. It also has a higher wear rate under severe service. This pad gives three times the pad and rotor life, ultimate torque close to 93. Its modulation characteristics also make it forgiving. Cold bite comes in at 100 degrees and has an effective torque curve over 1000 degrees.
83 Compound – This material has super high torque and gives a firm pedal feel. 83 require finesse. Under sever conditions, it has outstanding wear characteristics. 83’s cold bite also comes in at 400 degrees and has an effective torque curve over 1500 degrees.
80 Compound – 80 is the lowest friction. It has very good wear characteristics and is more rotor friendly than 83. It is more suitable and therefore a favorite for many applications where pedal modulation is difficult or chassis set up or driver development brake balance or others require a more forgiving pad. Cold bite comes in at 350 degrees and has an effective torque curve to over 1000 degrees.
Z Rated Performance Street – The highest friction brake pad available for street vehicles. This is designed for customers who demand ultra high performance braking with low wear, rotor compatibility and fade resistance.
Highway Product – The highway product is recommended for trucks, vans, motor homes, suburban, limousines, police cars, tow vehicles, and armored vehicles. This brake pad provides superior braking over stock and after market pads. Designed to wear long when used on heavy vehicles while still providing improved braking over stock.

Hawk Compounds.
DTC-70 Extremely high torque with aggressive controllable initial bite. Superior release and torque control characteristics. Brake pads designed for cars with high deceleration rates with or without down force.
DTC-60 High torque with less initial bite than DTC 70. Superior release and torque control characteristics. Brake pads designed for cars with high deceleration rates with or without down force. Recommended for use with DTC-70 when split friction between front and rear axle is desired.
DTC-30 Brake pads designed Specifically for Dirt Circle Track applications. Uniquely controllable torque with smooth consistent feel and bite. Superior Release and torque control characteristics.
DTC-05 Developed specifically to meet the demands of lower torque Dirt Track Racing. This friction formulation provides very controllable, higher temperature performance as compared to stock pads.
HT 14 Very high torque with aggressive initial bite. Excellent modulation and release
characteristics. Brake pads designed for cars with extremely high deceleration rates and
down force.
HT 10 Intermediate to high torque with a smooth initial bite. Very consistent pedal feel. Excellent modulation and release characteristics.
Blue 9012 Medium/High torque and temperature compound with excellent brake modulation. #1 selling brake pad material for SCCA.
Blue MT 4 Medium/High torque and temperature compound with Medium/High initial bite. Brake pads designed for circle track cars under 2800 lbs without high deceleration rates.
Black Medium torque and temperature compound designed to be a good, all-purpose low- cost racing brake pad.
DR 97 Excellent static and dynamic coefficient of friction. Smooth linear torque. Low pad and rotor wear. Brake pads specifically designed for use in drag racing applications.

HPS - High Performance Street disc brake pads are world renowned for increasing stopping power on your street legal vehicle. Increasing the performance of your vehicles braking system is easy when you choose Hawk Performance’s HPS braking compound. This unique Ferro-Carbon formula was developed for street performance using the safety and quality of Aerospace and Motorsports severe-duty friction technology. The High Performance Street compound offers a higher coefficient of friction over stock brake pads and can provide you 20-40% more stopping power and higher resistance to brake fade than most standard replacement pads. Less fade means you’ll have a highly durable brake pad with less brake dust.

Hawk Performance’s HP Plus brake pad compound is ideal for Autocross and Track Day drivers looking for a high performance race compound that can take the heat of the track and get you home safely without having to change the pads. HP Plus utilizes a unique Ferro-Carbon, high-tech friction material that was developed and manufactured for sport driving in autocross, Solo II and “track day” applications. The Ferro-Carbon formulation offers lower wear rates and higher torque values than other competitive materials.
Extremely high coefficient of friction makes HP Plus the perfect upgrade over stock for high performance streetcars used in autocross competition or that experience repetitive, heavy braking.

rpalmer
08-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Hawk HP+. Good street/track pad, great improvement in stopping power over stock. I've got them not squealing too bad, but dust IS an issue.

I just have to wash the wheels a little more frequently...

-RP

93KingCobra
08-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks Levi you a plethera(sp?) of information..... :D

I decided to go with the PF-Z rated...should be here next week.

ORANGE CRUSH
08-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Performance Friction Z-Rated pads are on the Crush. :thumbsup:

Levi
08-29-2006, 01:03 PM
My .02 :cool:

Performance Friction

Track:
According to PF the Cobra pads are only made in 97 or 01 compounds. They recommended 2 combos, 97 at all four corners, or 01 up front and 97 in the back.

Performance Street:
In the past I have used the PF Z Rated Performance Street pads up front and stock Ford pads in the back.

Hawk

Track:
Blue 9012 Medium/High torque and temperature compound with excellent brake modulation. #1 selling brake pad material for SCCA.

Black Medium torque and temperature compound designed to be a good, all-purpose low- cost Racing brake pad.

Performance Street:
HPS - High Performance Street on your street legal vehicle.

Hawk Performance’s HP Plus brake pad compound is ideal for Autocross and Track Day drivers and gets you home safely without having to change the pads.

93KingCobra
08-29-2006, 04:32 PM
My .02 :cool:

Performance Friction

Performance Street:
In the past I have used the PF Z Rated Performance Street pads up front and stock Ford pads in the back.

That the set up I went with...

mrpork
08-29-2006, 05:14 PM
what comes on the stock 04 cobras can any one tell me.

bat-stang
08-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Bro, I'll be switching back to my 98 Cobra wheels after my episode with the cv joint that I ran over this morning. That will look sweet on your car.

Levi
08-30-2006, 04:05 PM
That the set up I went with...

You will like it. ;)

I need a local hookup right away for
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/images/fluids/MOT-77.jpg

and if I can sale some more stuff, I will need this to complete my junky fix.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/images/brakes/185-6001A.jpg

Look what you got me looking fo fo four piston brake calipers, Your a bad person there Jimmy. :p

03 cobra toy
08-30-2006, 04:22 PM
You will like it. ;)

I need a local hookup right away for
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/images/fluids/MOT-77.jpg

and if I can sale some more stuff, I will need this to complete my junky fix.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/images/brakes/185-6001A.jpg

Look what you got me looking fo fo four piston brake calipers, Your a bad person there Jimmy. :p

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: $$$$ :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Levi
08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: $$$$ :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

And you can just sh sh shut up yo laughing boy.

Anyway you started all this mad moding, so I don’t want to hear any of your chit................ :D

97CasperCobra
08-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Anyway you started all this mad moding, so I don’t want to hear any of your chit................ :D

yea....why do you think I got a whole new differential?? I think David could sell us ice even if we were in Antartica.... :doubt:

And you CAN'T get the Brembos.....I need something else to get BEFORE you!!!! I have a few other "items" to do to the car before track duty....can't wait though. :cool:

Levi
08-31-2006, 09:22 AM
yea....why do you think I got a whole new differential?? I think David could sell us ice even if we were in Antartica.... :doubt:

And you CAN'T get the Brembos.....I need something else to get BEFORE you!!!! I have a few other "items" to do to the car before track duty....can't wait though. :cool:

I need to sale my dirt bike and shifter kart before I can do the Brembo's, so your safe for now. :cool: