PDA

View Full Version : need help swapping from irs to solid

03bloodredsnake
08-27-2006, 09:12 PM
how involed is this?
do i need to switch my shocks and springs?
for those that did this,is it worth it the car is still mainly for the street with an occasional run to the drag strip.im just tired or worrying when im at the track if its the night im going to shatter my half shafts so thats why i want to go this route also to run slicks if need be!:thumbsup:

NO 5 OH
08-28-2006, 02:12 AM
how involed is this?

Pretty simple actually. Drop the IRS out and then put the live axle in. You'll need the upper and lower control arms for a live axle car... I can't remember if the brakes will swap over or not without having to change them to the GT stuff.

do i need to switch my shocks and springs?

Rear springs will have to be swapped... they aren't the same. You could get away with using the stock rear shocks but it's better to swap them as well. The stock Bilsteins have the crush sleeve for the shock eyelet for a 14mm bolt... where as the eyelet for a live axle shock is 1/2".

for those that did this,is it worth it the car is still mainly for the street with an occasional run to the drag strip.im just tired or worrying when im at the track if its the night im going to shatter my half shafts so thats why i want to go this route also to run slicks if need be!:thumbsup:

If that's the case I'd say it's not worth it. I haven't done it yet and don't plan on it either... but I've got a lot of money tied up in my IRS. From your signature you've already got a bunch of the bushings there... if you run a set of ET Streets at the strip (or other bias-ply tire) the tires will help absorb the shock to the driveline and let the halfshafts live. There's a guy I know of on a couple other boards and he has a 2.4L KB on his car and runs 6.70's or so on a completely stock IRS... save for a Billetflow diff brace.

It's up to you... going to the strip a few times a year isn't justifiable to me for the live axle swap.

My .02

Shannon

ORANGE CRUSH
08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
I think this has some IRS and 8.8 info in it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213384&highlight=irs+bolts

Here are some pictures

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4287212243

InfamousSVT
08-28-2006, 10:49 PM
I did the same thing back when I just had a Eaton on the car and have absolutely NO regrets from going Solid.

You will need to get a Cobra Pinion Flange if you plan on keeping your Aluminum driveshaft, the Cobra brakes will swap over, but you'll have to get the Mach 1 brake brackets.
As stated above you will need to get a different set of Springs (2001 Bullit Springs work the best) and the Upper and Lower Control Arms for a Solid axle car. Everything else is just as simple as unbolting and bolting. :thumbsup:

If you need anymore help just let me know, this is what the forums are here for. :D

Linn@Amazon
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
give us a call...we do these swaps all the time 864 332 0955

03bloodredsnake
09-04-2006, 02:16 PM
what about putting an imy irs into the guys gt is there anything he would need can he keep his driveshaft :eek:

smashedheadcat
09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Yes, he can keep his driveshaft. You will need a solid axle pinion flange and a precision 448 u-joint. here's a good Solid axle writeup:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c74914%20b6bda9a3eae1b4c6f722a82058&threadid=94768