PDA

View Full Version : optima batteries

1-QIK-SNK
08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Anyone using the optima red top battery? If you do how much moding did you have to do? If you have a pic of it installed in you car can you send me it.
Are they better then say the interstate battery?

obxsnake@earthlink.net

Thanks Kerry M.

InfamousSVT
08-29-2006, 06:10 AM
I've got one on my 04 Cobra........not sure what you mean by "modding" the battery will fit in the stock location, it's actually smaller and will include the extended hold down clamp.

WVSNS&
08-29-2006, 06:12 AM
Kerry, if I understand correctly the optime is better. I believe that the battery has fiberglass and metal in an acid type gel as opposed to just acidic liquid and metal in a container. If I remember, the optima can be mounted in different positions other than just upright. Also it is less likely to fail due to vibration. If I remember correctly.

john

1-QIK-SNK
08-29-2006, 07:21 AM
I've got one on my 04 Cobra........not sure what you mean by "modding" the battery will fit in the stock location, it's actually smaller and will include the extended hold down clamp.

Do you have the 34R(9003-151)?

PETSNKE
08-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I've been thinking of getting one also.

Does anyone know how much weight can be shed by replacing the stocker with the Optima red top?

1-QIK-SNK
08-29-2006, 07:10 PM
I've been thinking of getting one also.

Does anyone know how much weight can be shed by replacing the stocker with the Optima red top?

Hey if you are thinking about it you may want to think reall hard and fast. I just orderd mine today and this guy also told me that they will go up to 180.00 on Sept. 1. I gave 140.00 shipped from summit racing.. Just a heads up for ya and anyone else who is thinking about getting one.

Kerry

PETSNKE
08-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Hey if you are thinking about it you may want to think reall hard and fast. I just orderd mine today and this guy also told me that they will go up to 180.00 on Sept. 1. I gave 140.00 shipped from summit racing.. Just a heads up for ya and anyone else who is thinking about getting one.

Kerry

Thanks, which model should I order?
Would I be correct in assuming I'll be saving 10-15lbs off the nose with the Optima? I still have the 10 year old Motorcraft battery, but I've never had a problem with it (I only have 34K miles).

1-QIK-SNK
08-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks, which model should I order?
Would I be correct in assuming I'll be saving 10-15lbs off the nose with the Optima? I still have the 10 year old Motorcraft battery, but I've never had a problem with it (I only have 34K miles).

Here is the part # 9003-151 wich is a 34R.

I know it is not a direct replacement, but I will make it fit in there and make it look nice also.