PDA

View Full Version : Clutch?

99cobra~
08-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey guys... I had my first problem with my cobra last night... I was beating on her some and I went into second and there was nothing. I pulled over and no gears work not even reverse. I put the car into gear and it can be pushed forward. I think its the clutch? any ways to check before I order parts? also is my clutch hydralic? I really hope I didn't blow my tranny.. otherwise I might have to say bye to my cobra..

cobra9915svt
09-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I had a similar problem with my 99. I was in the middle of a burnout in a parking garage, and when I hit second I had nothing. It ended up getting towed to the nearest Ford dealership where I received the bad news. The transmission, whichi I thought was blown, was actually in good shape. I had blown the engine. I'm sure you'd know if thats what It was.

Also on a second occasion I was driving hard in first, hit second and again had nothing. This time I had blown out the rear differential gear. Just a couple of things to check.

03slidewayzSVT
09-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Could have broke the input shaft between the engine and tranny.....something else to look at...

99cobra~
09-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Could have broke the input shaft between the engine and tranny.....something else to look at...
took it apart this afternoon at my brothers shop and sure enough the imput shaft is in 2 pieces..

can I order a stronger one from somewhere?? He said he could probably get a heat treated one that is better than fords OEM one. Any idea how hard it is to change the imput shaft? or how much it is going to cost? because my brother doesn't really like working with transmissions all that much.