PDA

View Full Version : A good tune...where to get it?

Tobra
08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey I got all the basic bolt on's for my 1997 cobra and I have heard people getting a tune after that and gaining 10-20 hp. Sound about right? Also where is a good reliable place in houston to get one? Thanks for any help.

Tim

93KingCobra
08-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Never needed a tune on my car but I will throw out the ones that most people will recommend..

1)Slaters performance in Humble,Tx
2)Houston Performance off of 249 and the beltway..

hi ofcr cobra
08-31-2006, 01:53 AM
Hey I got all the basic bolt on's for my 1997 cobra and I have heard people getting a tune after that and gaining 10-20 hp. Sound about right? Also where is a good reliable place in houston to get one? Thanks for any help.

Tim

I have heard the same thing and have the same question but I'm willing to drive within about 150 miles from where i live (includes San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Houston, etc.) I have heard there is a shop that does good dyno tunes in or near San Antonio.... where should I go?

BadMoFo
08-31-2006, 09:16 AM
I know they are not in the houston area but you should give Amazon Tuning Solutions a shot. one of the best in the nation.

www.amazonracing.com

Blown96Snake
08-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Not sure in your area, but someone using Superchips (custom) SCT Tuning system should give you good results. From what I have heard, SCT has more parameters to play with than any other chip mfr. According to Dyno Dan, it has the ability to "learn" while other chips such as my old autologic do not...

Dave

VenomSVT
08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Not sure in your area, but someone using Superchips (custom) SCT Tuning system should give you good results. From what I have heard, SCT has more parameters to play with than any other chip mfr. According to Dyno Dan, it has the ability to "learn" while other chips such as my old autologic do not...

Dave+1! SCT is the way to go.:thumbsup: I used to have an autologic chip and I had problems with it.

Tobra
08-31-2006, 04:26 PM
anyone have a link to these chips?

03slidewayzSVT
08-31-2006, 11:46 PM
WWW.Pro-Dyno.com (http://www.Pro-Dyno.com) look for products page...:thumbsup:

Firme
09-01-2006, 12:31 AM
anyone have a link to these chips?

You can actually get a flash tuner Tim, chips aren't necessary anymore (unless in special circumstances)
http://www.sctflash.com/product_xc2.php

BadMoFo
09-01-2006, 08:58 AM
You can actually get a flash tuner Tim, chips aren't necessary anymore (unless in special circumstances)
http://www.sctflash.com/product_xc2.php

exactly. sct or diablo are great products. and you can data log with both and pull trouble codes. check with you local tuner or give Amazon a call they are dealers for all of the products that we have discussed.

Silver10th
09-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Unless you want to drive half way across the country you would have to get a "mail order" tune from Amazon. I think a custom dyno tune is always better.

InfamousSVT
09-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Unless you want to drive half way across the country you would have to get a "mail order" tune from Amazon. I think a custom dyno tune is always better.
Nope, Amazon always has dyno days across the nation. Just give them a call and they will come to you. Unlike most tuners that make you come to them, Amazon goes out of their way to make their customers happy. :thumbsup:

www.amazonracing.com (http://www.amazonracing.com)

Tobra
09-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks again for all your input. But what is the difference between a dyno tune and a flash tune? Also what is an average price for each? Thanks

-Tim

Linn@Amazon
09-01-2006, 05:49 PM
a hand held programmer..SCT XCAL2 or Diablosport Preditor can be sent to you with a custom program already loaded in it...you can take it to a dyno and let us know when you will be there and Rick can work with you while you are there via phone and internet...it is called a virtual dyno tune...

you can set up a dyno tuning day in your area and Rick can come and personally dyno tune the vehicle..contact me for details

sometimes a mail order tune from someone who has alot of experiece and knowledge is better than a dyno tune from someone who doesnt..
we try to be flexible with our customers and Rick has thousands of satisfied mail order customers..

if you have any questions about his qualifications and experience you can check out our website www.amazonracing.com (http://www.amazonracing.com) or give me a call 864 332 0955 and I will be happy to discuss any question you might have

InfamousSVT
09-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Thanks again for all your input. But what is the difference between a dyno tune and a flash tune? Also what is an average price for each? Thanks

-Tim
A Flash tune is what most people call a "canned" tune.......a one tune fits all kind of deal that you will receive when ordering your tuner from certain companies.

A Dyno tune is where you will have the tuner (SCT, X-cal, Diablo) and the person tuning your car (Amazon, etc....) there while your car is on the dyno to make sure you have the safest and best bang for the buck tune in your specific vehicle.

Every car acts differently to a tune, so if you are getting a tune I suggest the Diablo or X-cal2 cause you will be able to datalog what your car is doing and if you have any problems just call the tuner and they will be able to fix the problem. Plus you get the bonus of being able to pull trouble codes like mentioned above and clearing them out........no more going to Ford or you local performance store to figure out why your check engine light is on.

:thumbsup:

SuperG
09-04-2006, 02:30 PM
can these chips show you what is NOT working, such as a cylinder not firing?