PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Advice

MarxSvt
09-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Hello, I am a new member with some really basic questions. Please let me know if there is a thread here that has already addressed this (I didn't find this info in the FAQ section). First I must warn you that I know very little about svt cobras, and would like a little help. I test drove a new (1999) some years ago and loved the car, but could not afford one. Now I am considering buying a used cobra (1996-2004) and have some questions:
1) What are the main differences between the years (which years had independant rear susp, supercharger, etc)?
2) Are there good and bad years? ie: years to avoid or more desirable years?
3) How close are the Bullit and Mach 1 models to cobra specs? I read that they have cobra suspension, or engine?
4) I am thinking it is best to find a low mileage model in stock condition, or are there certain mods that would be desireable in a used car.

Thanks for any help you can offer re buying a used svt cobra mustang
Mark

BadMoFo
09-03-2006, 12:45 AM
you came to a good place for the info. I will anwser as many as I can and I am sure there will be more that chime in. this is just basics.

question 1. 96-98 are the sn95 design, they have a NA 4.6 4v motor and solid axle with 5 speed

in 99 the new edge came out and they put in the irs. ford had problems with the 99 not making advertised power so they did not make a 00 cobra but they did recalls to fix the problem and made the 01 cobra. also came with 5 speed.

they did not make a 02 cobra.

the 03/04 are terminators, fully forged supercharged motors with irs and six speeds.

2. most people try to stay away from 99 year but ford claims to have fixed all of them. most wanted would be the 03/04 as it is a pretty potent package, coming stock with 390hp.

3. the bullit is a warmed over gt (2v 4.6)
the mach has a 4.6 4v motor like the 99-01 cobras but has a solid axle.

4. there are some stock models out there but from what I have seen is that most charge alot for a stocker. but again they also charge a decent amount depending on what mods are done to it also. there are alot of places you can look to see whats out there. start with the for sale section here. also svtperformance.com has a good for sale section in it to.

hope this helps a little, I know I am leaving alot out but this covers a little of the basics.

04Beasst
09-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Badmo,
I noticed you're from SC! I'm looking for a good shop to put on some H&R Springs and CC Plates. Can you recommend someone in the Savannah/South SC area. My car is located in Springfield, GA. Thanks.:D

MarxSvt
09-03-2006, 05:57 PM
BadMoFo;
Thanks for the detailed reply.
So is it fair to say that a Mach1 is mechanically almost identical to a 96-98 svt cobra?
Mark

97BlackSnake
09-05-2006, 03:58 AM
It's similar but there were a few differences. The gearing in the rear is different (3.55:1 instead of 3.27:1) and also it had the tremec 3650 tranny instead of the t-45. It had a higher torque rating (320 instead of 300) and a higher compression ratio (10.1:1 instead of 9.85:1) Also, unlike the cobra's, the mach 1 was available with an automatic. If it were me I would try and get the 03 cobra over the mach 1 because the price difference isn't too much. If you're worried about cost I would look for a 96-98 low mileage car. I hope this helps. Good luck :thumbsup:

Dan

BadMoFo
09-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Badmo,
I noticed you're from SC! I'm looking for a good shop to put on some H&R Springs and CC Plates. Can you recommend someone in the Savannah/South SC area. My car is located in Springfield, GA. Thanks.:D

to be honest I have only lived in the SC area for a year and half now. some of it in greenville and then the last year here in columbia so I dont really know of any place other than where I go to get my work done, Amazon.

www.amazonracing.com

sorry I couldnt be more help.

98 cobra
09-10-2006, 09:27 AM
I would agree. I was looking all three, the 03/04 cobra, the mach1 and the 96-99 cobra and found that I just would not be pleased with a mach1 for the price and the performance it offered and the the terminator, although I would love to have one, was out of my price range. So, I looked around and found a stock 98 cobra last year with only 16,500 miles on it and took it home for $12,500. Now I can put a few thousand into it and get 375-425 ponies out of it, just having a hard time choosing the right supercharger set up.
I run against my buddies stock 03 on a 1/8 mile track and he constantly hands me my ass. He runs a consistant 8.2 time even slipping in third and I come following with a 9.1. I have also ran against a black 04 Mach1 and beat him twice. I am not saying that the Mach1 is slow. I am just not impressed and the guy probably didn't know how to drive it.

It's similar but there were a few differences. The gearing in the rear is different (3.55:1 instead of 3.27:1) and also it had the tremec 3650 tranny instead of the t-45. It had a higher torque rating (320 instead of 300) and a higher compression ratio (10.1:1 instead of 9.85:1) Also, unlike the cobra's, the mach 1 was available with an automatic. If it were me I would try and get the 03 cobra over the mach 1 because the price difference isn't too much. If you're worried about cost I would look for a 96-98 low mileage car. I hope this helps. Good luck :thumbsup:

Dan

blk04cobra1
09-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Badmo,
If you're willing to drive up to Charlotte, we'd be able to put them in for you. If you dont want to make the drive, Amazon or Modular Powerhouse would be able to do the work as well :thumbsup: