PDA

View Full Version : Brake part

Squad99Snake
09-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Ok this is a question thats hard to put into words. My 99 Cobra front calipers, make alot of noise. If you remove the wheels on the front, you can shake the caliper back and forth pretty good. It's like there is too much space betweent the rotor and pad maybe. To me it looks like there is a part missing. I'll try to describe. The brake pad on the outer side of the rotor is not loose, but it looks like I have two bolt holes on either side of the pistons. It's like my calipers are loose, when you go over even the smallest bump you hear "clackity clack". Also when applying brakes, stops smooth and no problems but there is also a squeal. Pads are in good shape. Any ideas? I have a friend with a 97 cobra and he says his calipers also look like they are missing the same hardware, only his brakes are quiet.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris

JPGCCobra
09-03-2006, 03:19 AM
I have a lot of clanky sounds from my right side as well. I would also like some info on what that could be. I have replaced my rotors and pads, greased every thing. I have pulled the wheel/ brake assembly apart many times and can't find whats causing the sound. When I press the brake pedal, the sound goes away. Mine doesn't squel though. I don't think you are missing any parts. That's the way mine looks too. Someone please help us out with this. It's bout to drive me crazy.

dewone
09-05-2006, 09:22 AM
What your hearing is the pad inside the caliber jumping around when the brakes are not applied. You can go to the auto parts store (which ever store is close to you) and buy a small tube or packet of high temp RTV. Apply that to the back of the pads where the pistons press the pad. Assemble the rest, press the brake allow to dry. Viola no clickety clack.

Lumpydogs
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
What your hearing is the pad inside the caliber jumping around when the brakes are not applied. You can go to the auto parts store (which ever store is close to you) and buy a small tube or packet of high temp RTV. Apply that to the back of the pads where the pistons press the pad. Assemble the rest, press the brake allow to dry. Viola no clickety clack.

I agree. Also, I'll bet you are missing or have broken spring steel shims. They usually apply enough resistance to keep the calipers from moving around too much.