PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Noise after adding Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

cvalois1
09-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I just had a local shop swap the stock shifter on my '01 Cobra vert to a new Steeda Tri-Ax short shifter and now I can hear tranny noise thru the shifter.:( When I first drove the car home, I had the top down and had the radio on and didn't notice any difference. Then, later that night I had the top and windows up and radio off, and there the noise was. It is an obvious sound, especially when the car is idling. It is also very apparent when I shift into 2nd and 3rd gear at low speeds between 2000 - 3000 RPMs. The sound somewhat goes away when the cluth is fully engaged. If I were to describe the sound, I would say when idling, it sounds like a mechanical, turning, hiss, static sound. The noise is so obvious that my wife asked me what is wrong with the car.:eek: I brought the car back to the shop and had the installer ride with me so he could hear the sound. He said this is common when you go to a short shifter because there is basically no insulation to muffle the sounds that come from the tranny. He said he thought the Tremec 3650 tranny sounded a little noisy, but said it sounds like other Mustangs that have switched over to short shifters.:doubt: The car has 25,000 miles on it and I'm recently the second owner. I'm not sure when the last time the tranny fluid was flushed out, but I'm planning on doing it anyway. Does anyone have any constructive comments or suggestions as to whether this is a common sound (trade off) when switching to a short shifter? The shifting is 100 times better than stock :thumbsup: but I'm not sure I can live with the sound. Maybe I should switch it back to see if it goes away, and then I'll know if there is a different cause? Also, any recommendations for what type of tranny fluid I should change to, such as Red Line, GM Syncromesh, Royal Purple, or Others? Thanks!

Big Daddy
09-03-2006, 01:40 PM
The noise with the Tri-Ax is normal. At least it happened in my car. I got rid of it by replacing the Tri-Ax with an MGW Shifter. The MGW is hands down the best short throw shifter on the market in my opinion! :thumbsup:

cvalois1
09-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the response, Bid Daddy. I had a feeling someone was going to mention the MGW shifter being better after ready some of the other posts. ;)

Do you have any recommendations on a preferred manual transmission fluid to use when flushing the system?

99cobra~
09-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the response, Bid Daddy. I had a feeling someone was going to mention the MGW shifter being better after ready some of the other posts. ;)

Do you have any recommendations on a preferred manual transmission fluid to use when flushing the system?
pretty much whatever you have laying arround. Manual trannys don't go through fluid like an automatic. But I believe they do make fluid for it.

Firme
09-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I got rid of my Tri-ax for the MGW as well.

Also, I run redline synthetic fluid in my tranny. :thumbsup:

cvalois1
09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks Firme. I'm actually going to return the Tri-Ax this week for a refund, since I've had it less than 30 days and go with the MGW.;) Also. thanks for the suggestion on on the tranny fluid.:thumbsup:

97BlackSnake
09-05-2006, 03:30 AM
As others have said the Tri-ax is pretty noisy. I had it on my last cobra. This time around I'm going with the MGW. The Tri-ax was a nice shifter though..
Good luck :thumbsup:

Dan

cvalois1
09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Update: I ordered the MGW shifter for my T3650 last week and received it on Friday, 9/8. MGW shipped fast! I removed the Steeda Tri-Ax on Saturday and put the new MGW one in and I have to agree the MGW is better. Everything about seems better - the quality construction, the extremely detailed instructions, ease of installation. MGW even gives you the recommended sealant.:thumbsup: I have to admit the tranny noise is still somewhat apparent (slightly less than the Tri-Ax), but the more I've looked into this, the more I've heard this is normal. Thanks for everyone's input!

97BlackSnake
09-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the update :thumbsup: Glad it worked out well for you :cheers:

Big Daddy
09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Update: I ordered the MGW shifter for my T3650 last week and received it on Friday, 9/8. MGW shipped fast! I removed the Steeda Tri-Ax on Saturday and put the new MGW one in and I have to agree the MGW is better. Everything about seems better - the quality construction, the extremely detailed instructions, ease of installation. MGW even gives you the recommended sealant.:thumbsup: I have to admit the tranny noise is still somewhat apparent (slightly less than the Tri-Ax), but the more I've looked into this, the more I've heard this is normal. Thanks for everyone's input!

You'll like the MGW! I guess the reason the noise seemed so much less for me when I switched was I had the Tri-Ax on for about 2 years before the MGW Shifter came out and it was such a difference from the Tri-Ax it seemed super quiet! :thumbsup: