PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Question??

JBoden
09-03-2006, 10:02 PM
I was going through some files today and ran across the SVT supplement for the owners manual for my Cobra. As I thumbed through the pages, a paragraph regarding the spark plugs grabbed my attention.

"If a spark plug is removed for inspection, it must be reinstalled in the same cylinder. Cylinders no.1, 2, 3 & 4 have an "EG" suffix. Cylinders no. 5, 6, 7 & 8 have an "E" suffix."

Anyone have any idea if this is just a heat range deal??

GOOD question for Jimmy. :thumbsup:

Evilcartman
09-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I was going through some files today and ran across the SVT supplement for the owners manual for my Cobra. As I thumbed through the pages, a paragraph regarding the spark plugs grabbed my attention.

"If a spark plug is removed for inspection, it must be reinstalled in the same cylinder. Cylinders no.1, 2, 3 & 4 have an "EG" suffix. Cylinders no. 5, 6, 7 & 8 have an "E" suffix."

Anyone have any idea if this is just a heat range deal??

GOOD question for Jimmy. :thumbsup:

I believe it is set up like that because of the platinum tip. On one bank it will have both tips of the plug platinum and on the other only one tip. Ford did this to save money and apparently the reason it works this way is because of the ways the coils fire and the grounding set up. If you replace the plugs, just put motorcraft platinums in it, because all of the over the counter should be double platinum tipped. The single tipped part number on the plug canít be had from what I ran across. Iím sure Jimmy can chime in on this one though.

JBoden
09-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks Keith - the original plugs are long gone and I've never had any trouble so I'm not too worried about it, just curious. :eek:

03slidewayzSVT
09-04-2006, 12:17 PM
NGK-TR6:thumbsup:

VenomSVT
09-04-2006, 01:27 PM
NGK-TR6:thumbsup:AGREED!:thumbsup: The best plugs for the money!:D

jimmysidecarr
09-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I believe it is set up like that because of the platinum tip. On one bank it will have both tips of the plug platinum and on the other only one tip. Ford did this to save money and apparently the reason it works this way is because of the ways the coils fire and the grounding set up. If you replace the plugs, just put motorcraft platinums in it, because all of the over the counter should be double platinum tipped. The single tipped part number on the plug canít be had from what I ran across. Iím sure Jimmy can chime in on this one though.

Keith has got it right!!! :thumbsup: The replacement plugs have Platinum on the ground strap AND center electrode. That was just a warning to avoid premature wear in the event someone did a bank to bank change out.

JBoden
09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
THANKS everyone - I kinda figured it was something Ford cooked up to cover their butts. The NGK's are what I'm running now and have had no problems.

Thought it was interesting. :eek:

Evilcartman
09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
AGREED!:thumbsup: The best plugs for the money!:D

I also agree. I have the TR-6's in my car. But for most stock Ford cars, I would suggest motorcraft over other brands.