PDA

View Full Version : My motor is at Triangle Speedshop...

G8RNTX
09-11-2006, 10:57 PM
OK guys,
My motor is with Daniel at Triangle (thanks Edmund) and I'm getting a quote this week for a build. I'm looking for some "I've learned it the hard way..." insight and some good old fashion advice.

I'll post Daniel's recommendations and my thoughts later this week once I've got it in hand.

I appreciate all the insight in advance.

DeWayne

Firme
09-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Sweet :thumbsup: they won't let you down..

... might wanna do some head work or cams while its tore down, if not already done
... get some nice ARP2000 rod bots and head studs
... the triangle Billet oil gears are a good idea.
... great time to do a Canton oil pan and windage tray
... definitely do the cooling mod
... you could also have them degree the cams

SuperG
09-12-2006, 07:13 AM
So, you looking for more than 610 Hp? Or did something go kablooie?

G8RNTX
09-12-2006, 09:20 AM
#2 cylinder started tapping and turned out to be a bit scorched. 610 was good but more is always better (as long as it's safe and reliable).

Thanks, Edmund. Like I said, I'll post what they recommend as I'm looking for input from all angles.

DE

G8RNTX
09-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Here is the current proposed making of my monster...

Machined-balanced & blueprinted race prepped shortblock with Cobra crank, Diamond pistons and rings, ARP main studs and Tri-metal bearings.

Pistons to have upgraded tool steel blower wrist pins
Moroso large capacity oil pan with Canton windage tray
Billet oil pump gear
FMS HO oil pump housing
ARP Head studs
Replace all timing components (chains, tensioners and guides)
Cometic head gaskets
Associated other gaskets
Comp custom grind cams (still discussing duration and lift) degreed
Ported and polished heads with Ferrea stainless valves, comp valve springs and titanium retainers)
Custom tune...

I'm strongly considering paying the extra money now to have a stroker crank and pistons installed which will take the car from a 283 ci to a 301 ci and give me a noticeable amount of low-end torque. Any thoughts on this option really appreciated...

I'm also considering changing the 2.2L KB blower out for the 2.8L blower. That decision will come later at which point I may have a 2.2L kit for sale if you know any possible takers (only 2000 miles on it).

I'm looking to get some pros-cons from those in the know. Likewise, any other items I should think of now? Any other considerations with regard to upgrades at this point?

Again - thanks to all for the input.

DE

jimmysidecarr
09-12-2006, 06:27 PM
How about some cooling mods...

Are there any on there now???

That biotch is going to be creating MASSIVE BTUs... and on the street you will need a way to get rid of them... since you won't want to parking it and refilling it with cool water like you can at the strip.

Twice Bitten
09-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Ask yourself, "Do I want a racecar, or do I want a really fun, fast and DEPENDABLE street car?" :dunno:

jimmysidecarr
09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Ask yourself, "Do I want a racecar, or do I want a really fun, fast and DEPENDABLE street car?" :dunno:

The voice of experience.... without a doubt!!!

G8RNTX
09-12-2006, 09:32 PM
We are going to do the typical block cooling mod that most 4.6L blocks benefit from. I'm also considering an oversized aluminum radiator - both not listed.

Larry,
I know you have significant experience (not all pleasant) so your insight is really valuable to me. What about the proposed build do you think compromises dependability? If you had it to do again (like me) what would you recommend. I'm not going to race the car competively, only take it to the track occasionally, but do push it pretty good when I'm on the street.

DE

Firme
09-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Also take into consideration that this car will be Open Tracked.

As far as the list of components + the cooling mods(DEFINITELY do the radiator upgrade and maybe also the evans cooling mod), that is a helluva nice build up...

as far as the stroker goes.. it is very nice in theory, but I have no first hand experience, especially gauging it from and Open Track, beating on it for 20 minutes with a KB on top, point of view. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

Question about the moroso oil pan... is it a road race or a drag pan? Just wondering.

ORANGE CRUSH
09-13-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm strongly considering paying the extra money now to have a stroker crank and pistons installed which will take the car from a 283 ci to a 301 ci and give me a noticeable amount of low-end torque. Any thoughts on this option really appreciated...

I would not do this. With a blower car, in my opinon, this is just to much.

G8RNTX
09-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Todd,
That has been my hesitation to this point. Initially, a stroker crank/pistons wasn't even on my radar but I thought I'd see what the incremental power/benefit/cost was before pulling the trigger.

Edmund,
Good question on the oil pan - I'll have to ask. I assume the concern is oil starvation in cornering from a road-race perspective.

Thanks for all the input so far.

One other thing...Daniel has not yet recommended a lift/duration combo for the cams. Any thoughts with respect to the 4.6L recognizing I want to maintain good idle, drivability and don't want the car to sound like a Harley or Top Fuel dragster :)

Twice Bitten
09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Cams are a waste of $$$$, not much to gain for the amount of $$$$ they cost.

G8RNTX
09-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Larry,
We're talking on the order of $1,200 for the 4 cams. I'm guessing 30 hp and about that in torque. You feel that the stock cams are entirely sufficient?

DE

Twice Bitten
09-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Larry,
We're talking on the order of $1,200 for the 4 cams. I'm guessing 30 hp and about that in torque. You feel that the stock cams are entirely sufficient?

DE

$30.00 per HP at best. Not a good value. The most I got with the cams were 40 hp to the wheels. Not a good value, IMHO :thumbsup:

G8RNTX
09-13-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm with you on the $$/HP. Beyond that, do you see any other issues with cams? At the higher HP/Trq levels are there any downsides to the stock cams?

DE