PDA

View Full Version : BBK 65mm or 62mm throttle body

96mysticcali
09-12-2006, 05:04 PM
i have a 96 cobra...its stock except for the o/r x-pipe and flowmaster catback...i order a upr pulley kit and a upr powertube intake kit...im looking into buying a bbk 65mm or 62mm throttle body but, i dont know which one to go with....:rolleyes: So im asking for advice...will i notice a different between the 62mm and the 65mm? and is it a big difference from the stock throttle body????

IM ALL EARS........:D

blk04cobra1
09-12-2006, 05:14 PM
i have a 96 cobra...its stock except for the o/r x-pipe and flowmaster catback...i order a upr pulley kit and a upr powertube intake kit...im looking into buying a bbk 65mm or 62mm throttle body but, i dont know which one to go with....:rolleyes: So im asking for advice...will i notice a different between the 62mm and the 65mm? and is it a big difference from the stock throttle body????

With the mods you have, you'll notice a seat of the pants throttle response difference, but not much HP...I'd go with the 65mm if anything :thumbsup:

bluebyu
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
I would go ahead and spring for the Accufab single blade tb. If ever in the future you decide to put a blower on or inject giggle juice you already have it. The BBKs are good, Dont get me wrong but the Accufab flows over a 1100cfm's and the BBKs flow somewhere in the neighborhood of 850 to 900cfm's. Plus the Accufab comes polished. And you WILL notice the throttle response.:thumbsup:

tcrews
09-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Your stock throttle body is MORE than sufficient for your car and that includes adding major power adders. Save your money as most of the aftermarket throttle bodies have showd everything from a loss of power, no power gains and very little gains. None have shown any gains worth the expense. Most also create idle issues.

My advice is to save your money or spend it on something else. The potential gains aren't there, the potential issues (loss of power, bad idle) are greater.

Lumpydogs
09-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Your stock throttle body is MORE than sufficient for your car and that includes adding major power adders. Save your money as most of the aftermarket throttle bodies have showd everything from a loss of power, no power gains and very little gains. None have shown any gains worth the expense. Most also create idle issues.

My advice is to save your money or spend it on something else. The potential gains aren't there, the potential issues (loss of power, bad idle) are greater.

I agree with Tom. Most of the articles (not ads.) that I have read show virtually no improvement. Save your money for now.

Mods are like an addition. The more you have the more you want.
I'm guilty too.

bluebyu
09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Now on the gains I did see a 6 rwhp and the same in tq. I know thats small but its something. Last year in september at pro dyno I pulled a 278rwhp with 272rwtq with every bolt on minus the accufab throttle body and timing adjuster. When we went down in April I wanted a tune. My baseline after installing the accufab throttle body was 284rwtq and 278rwtq. Not bad for one bolt on. After all the tuning Dan got me to 298rwhp and 292rwtq. The thottle body does imo help. When mashing the gas I can tell it huffs much better.:thumbsup:

My mods
BBK long tubes
BBK off road h-pipe
BBK CAI
Accufab single blade throttle body
Flowmaster 2 chamber cat back
Steeda under drive pullies
MSD Wires
MSD Coil packs
FRPP Aluminum drive shaft
FRPP 4.10 gear
SPEC stg 2 clutch
UPR blue thunder shifter

tcrews
09-27-2006, 01:05 PM
There is a huge difference between the Accufab and the BBK throttle body. I know John Mihovetz who created the Accufab one and I respect him greatly. Typically gains are still extremely low and usually only via a dynotune, with the BBK throttle body gains are rarely seen at all and usually there is a loss of power (HP or TQ, sometimes both).

A part that cost a few hundred dollars and then pretty much requires a few hundred dollars in dyno tuning......for a few small HP gains (and a greater chance of loss).....is it really worth it? No. Especially since the dynotune alone "might" have shown the same gains.

The stock throttle body is more than sufficient...for most.

JPGCCobra
09-30-2006, 04:58 PM
I have the bbk 62mm tb. The throttle response is better and I like the heavier pedal fell because of the stiffer spring in the tb. As far as gains, maybe 5-10 flywheel hp. I don't think at your mod level that the difference between a 62mm and 65mm will make any difference for you. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought some 4.10 gears instead.

99blackcobra
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
The throttle body upgrade would be a waste. On the bbk website on the tech questions they tell you that there isnt a big difference unless you port and polish the intake and heads. I think this would be a waste of money