PDA

View Full Version : (dial up warning)So what the heck happened to that JimmySidecarr guy??

jimmysidecarr
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Well I've been pretty busy lately...
At work I had a back counter guy AND the parts manager leave on the same day(after 2 weeks notice of course)...

Guess who has to pick up the slack??? You guessed it. Moi!!

But more importantly I have rededicated my life to being a do it yourself full blown GEARHEAD!!!

After numerous requests... here is some of what I have been up to...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff14.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModsNstuff12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff13.jpg

And some of the things coming up after ............ "The DELRIN AFFAIR"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsnstuff1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff10.jpg

03 cobra toy
09-13-2006, 09:49 PM
I only have one thing to say.....

YOU CAN DO IT !

Another track monster is born ;) :rotf: $$$$ :rotf: $$$$ :rotf:$$$$

Twice Bitten
09-13-2006, 09:51 PM
:thumbsup: :flip: :drool: :woooah: :hail: :eek: :jawdrop: :headbang: :crazy: :clapping:

Looks like the party is at Jimmys house :thumbsup: , I'll bring some beer :rotf: :doubt:

JBoden
09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Damn Jimmy! This is serious stuff :eek: Gonna make that Snake hard to catch and FUN to drive. :bounce:

ORANGE CRUSH
09-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Hey Jimmy let me know if you can get those Russell Rear break lines to work. My front ones work fine but I could not get the rear ones to work. Sent them back and never heard a word back from Russell.

and

Are you putting your airfilter in the finder?

mrpork
09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
dam i want what he has :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: all i can afford is a ported eaton

97CasperCobra
09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Damn Jimmy!!!! :eek:

I LOVE IT!!!!! :thumbsup:

Looks like Troy is gonna have a hard time keeping up with you!!!!

93KingCobra
09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Way to go Jimmy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Looks like you have alot on your plate.....

jimmysidecarr
09-14-2006, 12:43 AM
I only have one thing to say.....
YOU CAN DO IT !

Another track monster is born ;) :rotf: $$$$ :rotf: $$$$ :rotf:$$$$

It was a little intimidating at first... What with no floor style trans jack and...

NO AIR TOOLS!!!

But with excellent instructions to go by... and being "a particularly stubborn and determined old curmudgeon" I have the IRS out and all the control arms off as well.

As for being a track monster we will have to wait and see... as the only suspension mods are IRS bushings and front camber plates. The stickies I'm sure will help and the brakes too... but the power stuff is mainly just for my fun... It may not make that much difference on a road course...

It'll be fun re-learning the car though.... NO DOUBT!!!

jimmysidecarr
09-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Damn Jimmy! This is serious stuff :eek: Gonna make that Snake hard to catch and FUN to drive. :bounce:

The hard to catch part... is still some what unknown... but the FUN TO DRIVE part... is what is motivating the whole affair!!! :thumbsup: :bounce:

jimmysidecarr
09-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey Jimmy let me know if you can get those Russell Rear break lines to work. My front ones work fine but I could not get the rear ones to work. Sent them back and never heard a word back from Russell.

and

Are you putting your airfilter in the finder?

Hmmm... What didn't fit??? Fitting sizes??? I haven't put them on yet as thatis during the reassembly phase... I'll let you know though...

Yes... on the JLT... It's the 12" in the fender job in Mystichrome. :D :p

jimmysidecarr
09-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Damn Jimmy!!!! :eek:

I LOVE IT!!!!! :thumbsup:

Looks like Troy is gonna have a hard time keeping up with you!!!!

Troy's driving and car have progressed rather nicely... on a tight track I'm sure he will continue to be a force to be reckoned with, after all...... he's only going to get better the more events he does. :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
09-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Way to go Jimmy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Looks like you have alot on your plate.....

Thanks Phil!!!
It's been a long time coming, lots of research, and careful shopping.

I spent most of my mod budget on parts with the idea being I would do all the work myself(hand tools or not)... That way I could get a lot more done for the money. It will just take longer.

I like doing this stuff though. I learn more about my car and it makes everything more meaningful... at least to me... cause "I'm just a parts guy". ;)

cobrapace94
09-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Holy lots of parts JimmyMan... At least you will know it is done right if you do it yourself. :thumbsup: The best way to save $money$ tooo. Good luck on the newest beast. :eek: :thumbsup:

SuperG
09-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Jimmy, I saw the Superchips picture, but how will you be tuning this monster once it's all put together? And thanks for posting the pics; they are very motivating!

Firme
09-14-2006, 07:13 AM
:thumbsup: niice!!!

Jimmy, you gonna have a :spimpin: Cobra when your done with all them goodies.

jimmysidecarr
09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Holy lots of parts JimmyMan... At least you will know it is done right if you do it yourself. :thumbsup: The best way to save $money$ tooo. Good luck on the newest beast. :eek: :thumbsup:

Thanks man!! Having it done right with no forgotten nuts or gouges was a big factor... but money was the biggest!

jimmysidecarr
09-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Jimmy, I saw the Superchips picture, but how will you be tuning this monster once it's all put together? And thanks for posting the pics; they are very motivating!

Yea the Superchips pic is the 2400 Mass air... The stock one would peg at 5 volts once your are at or around 490-510 RWHP
Initially I will be purchasing an E-mail tune... most likely from Jon Lund (http://www.lundracing.com/main.html) . Maybe Triangle Speed Shop (http://www.trianglespeedshop.com/) ...
I haven't really nailed that down yet.
I can't afford the SCT Pro Racer package.... though I would totally love to get into that stuff too!!! It is fascinating!

I've PM'd and talked to quite a few people in the tuner world... and everyone is saying an E-mail CUSTOM tune is doable if done by the right person, with the right info on the car.

Then just get it dynoed to verify the parameters are where they are supposed to be(via logging)... and if need be tweak it with the Xcalibrator2.

Obviously the tune will be extremely important and therefore will NOT be done by me!!!...lol

Levi
09-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Need to change your name to Jimmytrackcarr or Jimmyracecarr maybe Jimmyfastcarr cold do Jimmy2fast4ucarr. :D :cool: :thumbsup:

ORANGE CRUSH
09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Hmmm... What didn't fit??? Fitting sizes??? I haven't put them on yet as thatis during the reassembly phase... I'll let you know though...

Yes... on the JLT... It's the 12" in the fender job in Mystichrome. :D :p

The rear ones would not seal no matter what. I called Russell and they told me they had a manufacturing problem and for me to send them in. It's been over a month, called left messages and NO responce. AndyM told me he had the same problem. But the fronts work fine.

Hey Jimmy can I come over and play?

kencobra
09-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow, you you have been buying and stashing parts and not telling us. Looks like it will be awesome. :thumbsup:

Carl G
09-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Wow, you you have been buying and stashing parts and not telling us. Looks like it will be awesome. :thumbsup:

I am with Ken on this, you must have saved a lot of nickles and dimes for this. Way to go Jimmy :thumbsup: Oh, and you will be a lot faster when you get it all together for the track. We can have some fun together :D Cant wait till the project is finished and we can admire the handy work. Your gonna love it when it is done. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jimmysidecarr
09-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Guys!!!

This weekend is the actual bushing removal proccess...

I borrowed a ball joint press from my front end guy. He offered after he saw the pics of the the car all apart. I had been talking about making the remover tools and he suggested using his ball joint press kit. NICE GUY!!!

This phase is even harder than the removal of the IRS assembly and diff sub assembly.

The control arms were actually pretty easy to take out.

I'm hoping it cools off a little more... :rolleyes: It's HOT out there right now!!!
It seems I get more done at night when it's not so darn HOT!!!

I'll have more pics in a while...

One of my garage door springs broke so as soon as the car is back on it's wheels and drivable I have to get that fixed. Then I will tackle phase two.

Phase Two will be...

MM caster Camber plates, Brembo calipers, Russell lines, brake cooling backing plates to connect my hoses to, Canton road race pan and windage tray, ARP 2000 rod bolts, engine oil temp gauge.

LFP radiator, LFP dual pass heat exchanger, modified version of the Even Flow head cooling mod(The Jimmysidecarr version does both heads), Evans high flow relocated thermostat(w/ bypass plumbed to the factory bypass at the factory T-stat hsng which will now be empty), I will be fabricating some duct work to make sure the air going to the radiator gets there and does not bypass around it, at the same time attempting to maximize the air pressure differential before and after the rad with a wider and deeper air deflector under the rad.

JLT 12" cold air kit, JLT PVC prefilters(2), SCT 2400 MAF, 60 pound Deka injectors and harnesses.....

And of course... The 2300AX Whipple w/ 13 pound pulley!!! I'm going to run relatively low boost compared to most twin screw users, and I'm going to really be watching all my critical temps. If the factory oil cooler ends up being as big of a problem as I think, I will add a large oil to air engine oil cooler like David has(I have all the info stashed and ready ;) ). I really want to try it with the factory unit first though, just to see what the oil and water temps look like when flogging it HARD.

As many of you may have noticed there are VERY VERY FEW mods that could be considered suspension mods. Stock springs and shocks... ETC...

Although money is the primary reason for this it is also partly because I JUST LOVE the way this car drives on the street the way it is!!!

And since the street is where this car gets driven the most... I didn't want to push it too far toward being a race car. I'm not saying that the examples I've driven or ridden in are too race carish.

I just figured I would spend that money on something that would make the car even more fun on the street... So I decided to WHIP IT!!! and WHIP IT GOOD!!!.........lol!

Obviously a safe endurance type tune will be loaded via Xcal2... I'm not looking for every last bit of horsepower.
I am looking to get a lot of fun miles out of those factory forged pistons!!! I think it can be done!!! While I'm in there changing rod bolts I'll take a peek at the rod bearings and see how they look... If I need to I'm pretty sure I can change them at the same time as the rod bolts with the engine still in the car.

I'll be updating this thread as I am able(w/clean hands...lol) and I will post more pics as things move along...

I have been learning a lot more about the car than I thought... which is good!!! That is also one of the reasons I tackled this myself in the first place.(besides the main reason which is MONEY!) It's fun learning new things!!!

I am hoping that this car will continue to be both FUN and TOUGH!!! I have carefully selected the mods to keep it just that way!!!

EDIT
PS I'm really looking forward to running in the same group with the fast guys(Carl, Stan, Henry!!!) I'm hoping I can make that transition SOON!!!
The car will feel much different with the bushings and the sticky tires. In the past I have been able to adapt fairly quickly to different tracks or changes I have made to my cars, so I am hoping I still "have it"... because I'm going to need it!!!...LOL!!! :rolleyes:

97CasperCobra
09-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm hoping it cools off a little more... :rolleyes: It's HOT out there right now!!!

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!

I've spent the past two days detailing a certain 2003 Red Mach 1 with the Porter Cable(3 glazes and 1 wax) and don't think I've sweat that much in my LIFE!!! Hopefully the owner will be happy with the results!!! ;)

03 cobra toy
09-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Evans high flow relocated thermostat(w/ bypass plumbed to the factory bypass at the factory T-stat hsng which will now be empty),

I have some ideas that can help you ;) :thumbsup:

Call me when ready to do the cooling mods....

and remember....

YOU CAN DO IT !

jimmysidecarr
09-17-2006, 12:25 AM
I have some ideas that can help you ;) :thumbsup:

Call me when ready to do the cooling mods....

Of that I have NO DOUBT!!! I will do that for sure!!! :thumbsup:
You've been of tremendous help already Dave!! :thumbsup: And for that I am very thankful!

I think you are going to like this new head cooling mod... although the version I'm doing has not yet been done. I'll have to clearance the back of the lower intake on the passenger side to make room for the fitting.
The normal version for the left head goes into the soft plug hole at the back on the same machined face that the intake manifold bolts to.

Blower removal is required...(another reason for my twin screw decision)... The LDC left head mod is still a great mod and does solve a serious issue on our engines... but if you don't happen to need a clutch... AND you are either changing blowers or getting a port job done on an Eaton or have the blower off for some other reason.... it's a nice to have a choice and still be able to help the cooling issue.

cobrapace94
09-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Sounds like you have a gooood plan Jimmy. Also sounds like you have it under control, as much as control as the car will let you, they can be biotches for sure.
Have fun. :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
09-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Here are some update photos...

from the Delrin Affair

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff20.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff18.jpg

03 cobra toy
09-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Looking good :thumbsup: :D Your going to like the delrin :D

Twice Bitten
09-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I like the broken drill bit :thumbsup: :eek:

jimmysidecarr
09-18-2006, 10:46 PM
I like the broken drill bit :thumbsup: :eek:

I was wondering if someone would catch that...

It caused me to say some "bad words"... :rolleyes: No tools thrown though... :p

ldo79
09-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Sent you an e-mail.

jimmysidecarr
09-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Sent you an e-mail.

I checked my two main e-mail accounts...

Either the wife deleted it by mistake (highly unlikely)... or you sent it to the wrong/incorrect email addy.

Or the Sun Spots are really bad right now!!!

Just PM(the private message feature) me... it's faster, simpler, and I can check that at home or at work... :thumbsup:

Arch Angel
09-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Holy crap Jimmy, you finally modded that Cobra!!! Congrats!

jimmysidecarr
09-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Holy crap Jimmy, you finally modded that Cobra!!! Congrats!

Yea the wifey thinks I've lost my mind... :p
It's all pretty carefully planned out though..

Stay safe over there... You guys are doing a great job!!! :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
09-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Yea the wifey thinks I've lost my mind... :p

You did :D

Now get back to work! ;)

jimmysidecarr
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks to the use of the proper bushing extractor tools... the last 3 lower control arm bushings came out in 15 minutes!!!

Thanks DAVID!!!! :thumbsup:
(also a big thanks to all the previous Delrin purchasers for donating them to the cause!!!)

I may have a Cobra to drive at MSR after all!!! :p I may still be running the Heaton... I will have to see how things go. I may break up phase two of my MOD MANIA into phase two and phase three...

and save "the Whip" for last.

For more details on PHASE THREE/"THE WHIP"....
Click the (MANDATORY SPEAKERS ON) video link here--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2lrDz-qWpo&mode=related&search=

97CasperCobra
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
For more details on PHASE THREE/"THE WHIP"....
Click the (MANDATORY SPEAKERS ON) video link here--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2lrDz-qWpo&mode=related&search=

:lol:...how did I know that was coming. I may have my own bag of goodies to test out at MSR as well. :cool: Nothing as MAJOR as your goodie bag though.

NO 5 OH
09-26-2006, 05:40 AM
Looking good there Jimmy... looks like progress is being made ;)

I'm in the process myself of doing the Delrin control arm bushings for the upper and lower control arms. I didn't have any help handy so I had to pull the whole sub-frame out by myself which wasn't too fun :( I made it a bit easier on myself by dissasembling as much as I could off the rear before dropping it out... the diff and the upper control arms (and sway bar) were the only things left in it when it came out. These are the very LAST things I needed for my rearend... I've got the Level 5 halfshafts... Detroit Locker... MM bushings all around blah blah blah :D

Those damn subframe bushings were a royal PITA to install... I bought mine long before MM started offering the "removal tools" for them so I used a drill... an air grinder... a sawsall... a bunch of stuff :rotf:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much when you get it together. Remember though that "boost is addictive" and I'm willing to bet it won't be long before you go to swapping pullies :D Here is my recommendation for a tune from Jon Lund... I've got a X-cal2 from him and he will be doing the tunes for my car once it's up and running again. It's only been sitting for almost five months now :eek:

You can do it... just don't get discouraged. I've done everything myself and my brother said when I was younger I didn't have a mechanical bone in my body :rolleyes: Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the blower install if you're not sure... I've done a few of those too ;)

Shannon

jimmysidecarr
10-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Lil' update...

I received my exchange upper control arms from Bruce(AC 427 Cobra) today...
I had murdered the outer sleeves during removal, and this kit uses the outer sleeves. He sent me his "spares" w/ bushings.. and I'll send him back my uppers w/o bushings.

I ate dinner... went out to the garage and started THRASHING!!! I discovered that the end plates on the upper bushings can be knocked off with a chisel!!!
That allowed me to go into "red neck rigging mode" quicker and rig up an extractor... (bushings only) ... which ended up being a combo of washers, bolts, and segments of the MM removers borrowed from David(03 cobra toy)to remove the rubbers and center sleeve only.

One cigar, not nearly as much cussing and 2 hours later... SUCCESS!!!

Now I can get on with installing the rest of the control arm bushings and control arms.... onto the sub assembly. I still have to prep the pockets...or mount points. Which involves knocking or cutting off the welded in washers and cleaning up the welding slag.... so the pivot points are nice and smooth... and the tabs are spaced correctly.

I have been so beat when I get home from work lately, that I have not been working on my project. Trying to keep my techs and the body shop supplied with parts... and do stock orders and special orders, while I'm two men down is a BIOTCH!!!

Tonight however..... I made very good progress... It feels good!!!

And no busted knuckles!!!

Things should move along nicely from this point on...

BUT.... :doubt:

I still have on TON OF WORK TO DO!!!!... before I can put it back down on it's wheels and drive it.

jimmysidecarr
10-08-2006, 02:08 AM
All control arm bushings installed... (still have to put them on the sub frame yet...)

More pics from the "Delrin Affair"

Lowers
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff22.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff25.jpg

Uppers(No that's not Polyurethane... It's a red Delrin)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modNstuff23.jpg

More... "Redneck Rigging"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff24.jpg

Some minor stock spring... Tweekage (1/3 of a coil....or 6 1/2" on the OD)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff27.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff26.jpg

03 cobra toy
10-08-2006, 09:53 AM
:thumbsup: Looking good!! Make sure you use lots of lube on the IRS k-member bushing and the body of the car. The IRS k-member can be a real pain in the a$$ to install with the new bushings. Also I would make sure the front of the car is on jack stands. This will allow you to put more pressure on the IRS k-member for the install.

:thumbsup:

YOU CAN DO IT ! :D

jimmysidecarr
10-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks David!

It's on 4 jack stands now ..but I'm going to lower it a bit.
I've got it too high in the rear(I over did the rake to avoid a trans fluid leak). It only needs to be about 19" high in the back... so I'll lower it all the way around...but still more in the front...

Then jacking it up into place will at least be a little easier. I've read you have to horse it around a little as you line up the front cradle mounts...
I wonder if that's why Ford used 12MM instead of 14MM bolts on the moving assembly line???

It probably was quicker to plug in that way... Which is a partial contributor ...THE CLUNK!!

My ring and pinion had .017" backlash... spec is .009"/.015"(IIRC)... That was kind of on the loose side... We've got it at .015" now.
We did this during the Tru-Track install...of course.

Backlash can contribute to The Clunk too.

jimmysidecarr
10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Upper control arms are on...

A little tip... ;)

To widen the mount tabs for clearance... put a large scrap bolt though one of the tab holes, thread on a nut so part of the bolt sticks through for a pilot, push the pilot into the far side tab's hole(with the nut on the inside resting against the far tab)... HIT BOLT HEAD WITH HAMMER!.. until tab bends out to give enough clearance... Then after fitting arms on use a major league thick washer and nut and bolt to bend the tab back so it's flat against the bushing's outer face. Repeat for the other sides... :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
10-20-2006, 11:28 PM
How is it going Jimbo ???? :bounce:

jimmysidecarr
10-21-2006, 01:07 AM
It's going pretty good..

I should be stuffing it all back up in the car ....

THIS WEEKEND!!!!

I know.... I know... "You can do it!!!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Silly%20file/Youcandoit.jpg

LOL :rotf:

I would like to know if you would do my 4 wheel alignment for me... I don't think my guy is comfortable with all the stuff I've changed out. and you guys have done a bunch of these already.

Do you have the rear bump steer alignment "thingie" to test rear bump??? If not no biggie... we can set it pretty close from just the full droop to normal ride height method.

I will need a ball park quote for the "accountant" :rolleyes: :p

Feel free to PM me or call... I'll be buying another jack(Alum race jack) tomorrow and lowering the car down a little to make the install a little easier... two jacks are better than one in the absence of a floor style trans jack.

Anyone who wants to come over and help or watch... give me a ring or a PM and I'll shoot you directions...

03 cobra toy
10-21-2006, 10:08 AM
It's going pretty good..

I should be stuffing it all back up in the car ....

THIS WEEKEND!!!!

I know.... I know... "You can do it!!!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Silly%20file/Youcandoit.jpg

LOL :rotf:

I would like to know if you would do my 4 wheel alignment for me... I don't think my guy is comfortable with all the stuff I've changed out. and you guys have done a bunch of these already.

PM sent

Do you have the rear bump steer alignment "thingie" to test rear bump??? If not no biggie... we can set it pretty close from just the full droop to normal ride height method.

I don't have the tool :eek: We checked it with the alignment machine and did a sweep up and down with the lower control arm and check the toe settings. What we found was, if you lower your car 1 1/2 " you will need to lower the tie rod end 3/4".

I will need a ball park quote for the "accountant" :rolleyes: :p

PM sent

Feel free to PM me or call... I'll be buying another jack(Alum race jack) tomorrow and lowering the car down a little to make the install a little easier... two jacks are better than one in the absence of a floor style trans jack.

Anyone who wants to come over and help or watch... give me a ring or a PM and I'll shoot you directions...

and yes "you can do it"

Firme
10-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Jimmy, you should put this togethe as a Rear IRS Delrin install Tech article for the newsletter :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
10-21-2006, 08:43 PM
WOW!!! Thank You Jim Boden!!!!!

Jim came over and helped me today!!!
and I'm happy to say...
The rear subassembly is back up in the car!!!
It would have been quite a battle by myself...
Jim's idea of WD40 in the sub mount pockets really made a BIG difference while we were "rasslin" with it to get the bolts in!!!

Two jacks are definitely better than one for an operation like this...
I've been meaning to pick one of these bad boys up for a while now!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModsNstuff41.jpg

I need to pickup some MM adjustable rear sway bar end links because I'm looking at a bad preload situation because of a.....EDIT---> this bend is in fact normal!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff38.jpg

The differential center housing is now firmly mounted with a combo of Delrin.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModsNstuff39.jpg

And Aluminum...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModsNstuff44.jpg

I used 14mm front sub mount bolts instead of 12mm... and these slick smooth headed low profile 12mm bolts for enhanced tire clearance in the rear , In case I ever want to run 17 x 10.5 rims and a 315 tire for the drags...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModsNstuff42.jpg

I also installed some MM polyurethane(very hard) rear sway bar bushings to help balance some of the under steer out of the car... "What ever end of the car you stiffen looses grip"... so this will help with turn in at the front since the front will GAIN GRIP!!!(respectively)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModsNstuff40.jpg

There is now ZERO RUBBER mounting anything in the rear except the shocks

97CasperCobra
10-21-2006, 11:16 PM
WOW!!! Thank You Jim Boden!!!!!

Awesome documentation Jimmy!!! Mr. Boden is a great help when it comes to the Cobras....he's helped me many of times. :thumbsup:

I would have been over, but I was driving back from Austin to help my brother move back to Houston. Would love to have helped and learned on that car.

NO 5 OH
10-22-2006, 02:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff38.jpg

The stock rear sway bars on all the Cobras are like this to my knowledge... or at least mine is anyways. I was wondering myself why it was bent like that on that one side :doubt:

I thought about taking a pic of my IRS apart and adding to the thread here since I powdercoated everything (for the "hell of it")... but I didn't want to detract from your own thread any :)

I kinda wish I was down that way in Texas right now... looks like I'm going to have to "wrestle" the entire subframe back into my convertible by myself :(

Shannon <--- is somewhat "lacking" in the friends department

03 cobra toy
10-22-2006, 10:29 AM
The stock rear sway bars on all the Cobras are like this to my knowledge... or at least mine is anyways. I was wondering myself why it was bent like that on that one side :doubt:

+1 This is very true :thumbsup:

Make sure the ends of you sway bar are turned down towards the axel shaft. If not the sway bar is not in correctly and the IRS will need to come out again. :mad:

Sorry this is the best IRS sway bar picture I have at home...

jimmysidecarr
10-22-2006, 11:09 AM
That is so weird...

I can't see a clearance issue anywhere... I wonder why they put that bend in there??? They don't do that kind of extra work for no reason.
There is a very small bump of gas tank shield that sticks out in about the same spot... but even if it was straight it looks like it would still clear...

Hmmm... It must have hit on some cars or the wouldn't bother.

My sway bar ends are oriented angled down... above the half shafts but below the upper arms. As yet the ends are still untethered.

JBoden
10-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey Jimmy - I crawled under my car this morning :eek: and found my sway bar has exactly the same bend in it. Looks like it might be a clearence bend for manufacturing/assembly. The bend lines up with a mounting flange for one of the gas tank supports. :rolleyes:

Nothing to worry about. :D

SuperG
10-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey Jimmy - I crawled under my car this morning :eek: and found my sway bar has exactly the same bend in it. Looks like it might be a clearence bend for manufacturing/assembly. The bend lines up with a mounting flange for one of the gas tank supports. :rolleyes:

Nothing to worry about. :D
You guys are so silly...Ford put it there so the engineers could watch posts like this and laugh, "Hey Sammy...they're coming up with some good ideas about why you made that bend!"

NO 5 OH
10-23-2006, 12:25 AM
+1 This is very true :thumbsup:

Make sure the ends of you sway bar are turned down towards the axel shaft. If not the sway bar is not in correctly and the IRS will need to come out again. :mad:

Sorry this is the best IRS sway bar picture I have at home...

Dang Dave... and I thought I was the ONLY one that was anal enough to make the rear-end look "purdy" while it was apart :rotf:

I had thought about painting it... but couldn't really see it as being "red" like the car so I had it powdercoated black (like stock, but better coating) and it's a good bit shinier. I did the lower control arms in black too... the uppers just needing some good cleaning and they came out nicely... so I didn't bother having them done. I'm painting the knuckles in a semi-gloss black and the dust shields in a bright silver like your rear-end is. The silver will look nice with the QA1 shocks/coil-overs that are going on as well.

Plus if doing it in red like I had a thought to do... then it wouldn't have matched the new front end going under it from M and M :thumbsup:

Shannon

ldo79
10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Jimmy

When you get a chance, could you post a pic. of how the 6" coil cut effected the height?

TIA
ldo79

jimmysidecarr
10-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Jimmy

When you get a chance, could you post a pic. of how the 6" coil cut effected the height?

TIA
ldo79

Will do ... :thumbsup:

I'm hoping it will only be about 3/4 of an an inch... though I could surely live with 1" as well.

Levi
10-25-2006, 11:41 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsnstuff1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff3.jpg

Jimmy,

I have just purchased the same Brembo's. :bounce:
And I have been running braided brake lines on the front of my 98 Cobra calipers.

My question is what banjo bolt do I need for the Brembo's and where can I get them?
Will the new banjo bolts work with the braided lines I have now or do I need new lines?

97CasperCobra
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM

I hate you..:edmond:..damn this college stuff.... :(

03 cobra toy
10-25-2006, 12:56 PM
damn this college stuff.... :(

YOU CAN DO IT !

In the next 5 years :rotf:

97CasperCobra
10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
In the next 5 years :rotf:

I'll be done with classes in May..... :321:

Next fall you track whores better watch out..... :cool:

03 cobra toy
10-25-2006, 01:16 PM

:thumbsup:

Levi
10-25-2006, 02:38 PM

I see your mouth moving, just can't hear you. Talk, talk, talk or/no that's just your keyboard, type, type, typing is cheap. If you want to play with the BIG BOY's, you will have to pay. :spoke:
We need to change your screen name to: No Go, No Show!

97CasperCobra
10-25-2006, 02:48 PM
I see your mouth moving, just can't hear you. Talk, talk, talk or/no that's just your keyboard, type, type, typing is cheap. If you want to play with the BIG BOY's, you will have to pay. :spoke:

geeeee....now I'm starting to feel like someone else on this board..... :(

Levi
10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
geeeee....now I'm starting to feel like someone else on this board..... :(

Atleast he does mods to his car. :eek:

97CasperCobra
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Atleast he does mods to his car. :eek:

my mods are more track oriented.....and some of us are not so fortunate to buy whatever mods we can...:p

03 cobra toy
10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
:edmond: :edmond: :chairshot :flush: :tongue: Have a nice day?

Levi
10-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Jimmy,

And I have been running braided brake lines on the front of my 98 Cobra calipers.

My question is what banjo bolt do I need for the Brembo's and where can I get them?
Will the new banjo bolts work with the braided lines I have now or do I need new lines?

Found some info:

NOTE: It has been identified that Ford changed fluid bolt thread pitch in the middle of the 2003 production. Late 2003 Cars through current production, returned to coarse threads, as used in 1995-98 GT models. This complicated the aftermarket hose industry unfortunately, so make sure which thread pitch you have on 2003 models before ordering. The split occurred between July and August production of 2003 models. Call or email our tech department if you have questions as to which bolts you require.

MMBK2F Front Brake Hose Kit, 1994-04 with coarse thread fluid bolts (M10 x 1.5)
If you have 1994-98 GT or 2003-2004 GT & Cobra front brakes (starting with August 2002 production date of 2003 model year cars), you will need this line kit. If you are unsure, you will need to confirm that you have coarse thread (M10 x 1.5) fluid bolts. If you need fine thread (M10 x 1.0) bolts, purchase the MMBK3F kit instead.

MMBK3F Front Brake Hose Kit, 1994-04 with fine thread fluid bolts (M10 x 1.0)
If you have 1994-2003 Cobra or 1999-2003 GT front brakes (through July 2002 production date of 2003 model year cars), you will need this line kit. If you are unsure, you will need to confirm that you have fine thread (M10 x 1.0) fluid bolts. If you need coarse thread (M10 x 1.5) bolts, purchase the MMBK2F kit instead.

Looks like maybe that my 98 Cobra banjo bolts are a fine thread fluid bolt.
Question: Does the brembo caliper require a fine or coarse thread banjo bolt?

John Chingasos
10-25-2006, 03:48 PM

Stan.....do you need a hug? Phil...come give Stan a hug.

Stan...remember, your smart enough, good eough and gosh darn, people like you.......................

03 cobra toy
10-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Found some info:

NOTE: It has been identified that Ford changed fluid bolt thread pitch in the middle of the 2003 production. Late 2003 Cars through current production, returned to coarse threads, as used in 1995-98 GT models. This complicated the aftermarket hose industry unfortunately, so make sure which thread pitch you have on 2003 models before ordering. The split occurred between July and August production of 2003 models. Call or email our tech department if you have questions as to which bolts you require.

MMBK2F Front Brake Hose Kit, 1994-04 with coarse thread fluid bolts (M10 x 1.5)
If you have 1994-98 GT or 2003-2004 GT & Cobra front brakes (starting with August 2002 production date of 2003 model year cars), you will need this line kit. If you are unsure, you will need to confirm that you have coarse thread (M10 x 1.5) fluid bolts. If you need fine thread (M10 x 1.0) bolts, purchase the MMBK3F kit instead.

MMBK3F Front Brake Hose Kit, 1994-04 with fine thread fluid bolts (M10 x 1.0)
If you have 1994-2003 Cobra or 1999-2003 GT front brakes (through July 2002 production date of 2003 model year cars), you will need this line kit. If you are unsure, you will need to confirm that you have fine thread (M10 x 1.0) fluid bolts. If you need coarse thread (M10 x 1.5) bolts, purchase the MMBK2F kit instead.

Looks like maybe that my 98 Cobra banjo bolts are a fine thread fluid bolt.
Question: Does the brembo caliper require a fine or coarse thread banjo bolt?

I would call MM

Levi
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Stan.....do you need a hug? Phil...come give Stan a hug.

Stan...remember, your smart enough, good eough and gosh darn, people like you.......................

I am sorry if I came of a little strong on the subject, I was just kidding.

So I'm a little :crazy: You know I just :love: everyone :bawling:

NOW can we get back on the subject of Brembo's. :p

Levi
10-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I would call MM

:doh2: Sometimes I'm a :retard:

The Brembo 2000R calipers require a fine thread banjo bolt. The stainless steel brake lines that I have on my stock Cobra calipers (PBR) and the correct fine threaded banjo bolts will work. :cool:

NOTE: It has been identified that Ford changed fluid bolt thread pitch in the middle of the 2003 production. Late 2003 Cars through current production, returned to coarse threads, as used in 1995-98 GT models. This complicated the aftermarket hose industry unfortunately, so make sure which thread pitch you have on 2003 models before ordering. The split occurred between July and August production of 2003 models.

jimmysidecarr
10-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Fine thread confirmed there good buddy!!

Nearly ALL Brembo calipers including many motorcycle applications use the same 10mm x 1.0 thread pitch metric banjo bolts...

I bought a pair of XRP 494413 banjo bolts from Livermore Performance in Ca.
XRP products makes all kinds of race type plumbing products and are available from many sources... not just Livermore.

Sometime during my Mod Fest.. I managed to lose these banjo bolts... :retard: :chairshot :tongue:

So I just got my second set in today via next day air... :rolleyes: They seemed a little short(different source) so I used the Aluminum crush washers instead of the thicker copper Ford ones... to put a little more threads in the caliper.

They work... no leaks.

jimmysidecarr
10-29-2006, 10:40 PM
IT"S ALIVE!!!

I am so sick of driving the family truckster I could just .... :barf:

She's back together and running fine. I love the FR500 catback!!! Thanks Edmond!!! Just enough engine sounds so it doesn't sound like a line blown off an air compressor anymore. :thumbsup:

NVH REPORT:
Very slight ultra high pitched white noise type gear noise... You have to listen for it. Not a gear whine.
A little ZZ Top and the catback make it go way far away... LOL

GENERAL FEEL:
(before alignment)
Turn in is noticeably quicker and more precise... less adjustments required in mid corner... Car is more neutral.. slightly less push.
I can't wait to flog it after it's aligned and I plug in a little more negative camber up front and fix my right rear toe in(naked eye visible) issue.

WHEEL HOP:
With cold Sumitomos it is not 100% gone... but the amount is so slight... (more like a slight vibration than the HARD TRAMP it was before)... I was able to drive right through it. I'm very pleased indeed!!!

Tru Track:
This differential is amazing!!! On an uneven bumpy off camber uphill 90 out of my neighborhood.... that always used to set up inside spin and wheel hop.... I was able to put more power down sooner with no hop and incredible smoothness and bite!!! Which means I can now pull out into a much smaller "hole" in traffic.... and no one has to hit the brakes..... SEE YA!!!

REAR RIDE HEIGHT:

The rear ride height after a 100 mile shake down cruise... it may drop a little more as the isolaters take their set.. but not much. Barely noticeable if AT ALL.
1/3rd of a coil cut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModsNstuff48.jpg

My new bargain backing plates installed...( don't worry I found some clamps to fit the hose)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff45.jpg

The Brembos use more of the rotor than the PBRs do... all still within the vented area. If you are not putting new rotors on for the Brembo conversion take it easy at first so the pad can take the shape of the PBR worn rotors. Once the pads have complied with the step and wear on the old rotors you can then go medieval on the Galphers to bed them in... in my case these are my street pads... so little is expected of them except the normal Cobra job description.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/modsNstuff46.jpg

Battered, bruised and gashed finger pointing to the new swept area... lol ( my hands are a mess from this "Affair" )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModNstuff47.jpg

jimmysidecarr
11-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Jimmy

TIA
ldo79

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/Mystichrome%20SVT%20Cobra%202004/ModsNstuff/ModsNstuff48.jpg

Exposed
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I know this is an older thread but maybe some of the guys are still reading here... I am going to replace all the rubber bushings with the Delrin and Urethane. From looking at this thread, it appears to me to be worth the time to drop the entire IRS in lieu of working on all of this from under the vehicle. What is your opinion on this????
thanks

jimmysidecarr
07-21-2008, 06:45 PM
I know this is an older thread but maybe some of the guys are still reading here... I am going to replace all the rubber bushings with the Delrin and Urethane. From looking at this thread, it appears to me to be worth the time to drop the entire IRS in lieu of working on all of this from under the vehicle. What is your opinion on this????
thanks

Drop the whole thing and don't bother with urethane.

Aluminum near the pinion snout, Delrin elsewhere, and the IRS subframe mounts are UHMW Poly.

All available here separately or in kit form -> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260665

Exposed
07-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Sounds good. Please send me a PM on how to get in contact with you to order..
thanks

jimmysidecarr
07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Sounds good. Please send me a PM on how to get in contact with you to order..
thanks

You don't order from me...

You order from Bruce Cameron, AKA -> AC 427 Cobra on SVTperformance.com in the link profided. Nice guy also an SCMC member. :thumbsup: