PDA

View Full Version : 97 Cobra Idling Issue

tones688
09-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Hiya,

I bought a '97 cobra about a month ago and all seems fine. It has a MAC off road H-pipe and mac cat back exhaust system. A few times lately, it starts and will not idle without throttle help from me. It reminds me of the older cars with a manual choke with the choke obviously not engaged. I can keep it running with a slight throttle depression and after driving it a bit, the idle corrects itself and all is fine. The car will start and run great from that point out. I searched the forum here and think that maybe the MAF needs cleaning, sound about right, or are there other areas to check?

Another question - the car didn't come with an owners manual. Twice when starting the car, the warning light on the far right of the dash that sorta looks like the front view of an engine block with a fan infront of it came on and stayed on for about a minute and then turned off. I have no idea if that was related to the idling issue, but in eaither case, soes anyone know what that light indicates?

Additionally, if anyone has a spare owners manual that they'd be willing to let loose of, I'd love to buy one from them.

Other than the above, I'm loving the '97 Vert :thumbsup:

Thanks!

SuperG
09-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Eyooo...a '97 Vert? Hey whatever floats your boat. ;)

OK...here's the manual stuff - order from helminc.com:

FCS1215097: 1997 Mustang Owner Manual @ $12.00 each
FCS1215097MS: 1997 Mustang Maintenance Schedule @ $4.00 each

Regarding the idle, I would suggest cleaning the IAC - Idle Air Control valve. Also check for oil in the PCV and its hose, the crankcase vent (passenger side valve cover) and the 2 rubber connections to the air intake near the passenger headlight area (I have a slightly different setup than stock, so I can't remember where those used to be).

IAC, though...clean it, try it, replace for cheap if necessary.

tones688
09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and the info on the owner's manual. I'll definately pick those up!

SuperG
09-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Oops...and the indicator with the fan is suggesting you have low coolant. After a drive, let some pressure out (carefully - not while too hot) then add some coolant to the fill line. Next drive you might do the same again...

ProfChaos
09-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Hiya,

I bought a '97 cobra about a month ago and all seems fine. It has a MAC off road H-pipe and mac cat back exhaust system. A few times lately, it starts and will not idle without throttle help from me. It reminds me of the older cars with a manual choke with the choke obviously not engaged. I can keep it running with a slight throttle depression and after driving it a bit, the idle corrects itself and all is fine. The car will start and run great from that point out. I searched the forum here and think that maybe the MAF needs cleaning, sound about right, or are there other areas to check?

Thanks!

I would first suspect bad/water-ladened gasoline as the cause of the idling issue. A few months back, I bought some bad gasoline from a local Hess station, and the same stammering idle issue occurred for me the morning after I bought the gasoline. I nursed the Cobra to the nearest Advance Auto Parts store, bought some STP Gas Treatment, put it in the tank, and the idle returned to normal within a few blocks of the store.

Needless to say, I'll never again run Hess gasoline in my Cobra. :mad:

cheers,
Professor Chaos

tones688
09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
I seem to have corrected the idling issue. I cleaned the CAI filter, the MAF sensor and IAC valve with no improvement noted. To clean the throttle body, however, I had to remove the strut brace and then remove the section of intake between the MAF and the throttle body. I noticed that the hose clamp screw on the intake section at the MAF was extremely loose and the intake section slid off very easily. Anyway, I cleaned the throttle body and after replacing the intake section and tightening everything down, the car idled fine.. So, problem solved - whether it was the loose intake section or the throttle body requiring cleaning, I don't know, but I expect it may have been due to the loose intake section. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions! :thumbsup:

Another question. When I was checking out my CAI filter which is located in the fender, I came across what I believe is an emissions pump. The hose coming from it is capped. Can someone please confirm what it is and if there's something I can do to get rid of it somehow? It's interfering with the CAI filter atm. There's also what looks to be a computer in the fender also. Could someone explain it's function? I'm assuming it's not the 'main computer' as I was told I have an early generation Diable computer which I believe is under the dash in the passenger compartment (next mini project is locating and checking this out.. lol).

Here's a few pics:

ProfChaos
09-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure what the item in the top photo is--perhaps it is part of the oil-cooling unit. My '96 Cobra has the same thing (with a capped-off hose), so it is not part of your CAI modification.

I believe that the bottom picture is a shot of the "CCRM" (the Constant Control Relay Module), which is part of the cooling fan control circuit.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

99blackcobra
10-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I would clean everything up and replace the fuel filter. But it also could be the throttle positioning sensor. However they will do that all the time. But it sounds like to be a small fuel problem