PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch

WVSNS&
09-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Is there a trailer hitch for the 01 Cobra? Am not going to tow a trailer, want to use it for a bike rack. I'd rather have that opposed to something that straps on the trunk. Just curious.

john

ProfChaos
09-16-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't think that there is an off-the-rack hitch available for the Cobra after 1998: Draw-Tite--who makes hitches for most vehicles--comments specifically that their hitch for 1999-2004 Mustang models will not work with the Cobra. I think that the way the rear suspension is configured on the Cobra might interfere with the mounting, but someone else in the Forum likely knows more than I do about why the standard Draw-Tite Mustang hitch won't work with a Cobra. You might also try e-mailing someone at DRAW-TITE HITCHES (http://www.drawtite-hitches.com) and asking them directly why they specify that the Draw-Tite Mustang hitch won't work on Cobras.

I have a Draw-Tite hitch on my '96 Cobra, so that I can haul my motorcycle on a lightweight motorcycle trailer. When a guy at U-Haul mounted the hitch, he had a Dickens-of-a-time drilling through the titanium plate at the base of the bumper. It took him two hours and three drill bits to get the thing mounted. Man! was I ever glad that I had paid someone else to mount the hitch! :D If the only difference between the other '01 Mustangs and the '01 Cobra is that titanium plate at the base of the bumper, the hitch can be mounted, but I would definitely pay someone else to do it. :D

cheers,
Professor Chaos

gcassidy
03-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm in the processes of getting a hitch mounted on my 98 Cobra to pull tires to the road course. I've done a fair bit of research including talking to a couple of the manufactures. Here's the info I got from them (deemed reliable, but not proven yet):

1) Hidden Hitch will not mount on any Cobra without cutting some of the rear bumper (they call it fascia) to clear the drawbar.

2) Reese and Draw Tight are the same hitch (they merged or something a few years ago). They will JUST fit a 96 to 98 Cobra without cutting (so they say-we'll find out next week), but not a 99 and up. I guess the fascia goes lower on those models.

3) We're also going to test fit another model they have at the trailer place I'm using, but I can't remember the name right now. If it works, I'll let you know.

Once I'm done, I'll post photos for anyone else interested.