PDA

View Full Version : Tick, Tick, Tick...engine noise????

Maddogs700srx
09-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Heres the deal 96 Cobra 4.6. At 74,000 miles it overheated. It then developed a ticking noise in the engine. It was rebuilt completely to stock specs. Tick Tick, Tick its still there. All this happened before I purchased the car. I believe the noise is in the intake area. I would swear the noise is under the gray cover with the Cobra on it. Any idea where to start?

BillHyco
09-18-2006, 11:03 PM
i would start by using a long screw driver or something of that nature to pin point EXACTLY the area the noise is coming from. Is the noise repitious? Does the tick increase in speed as the RPM's are increased? When you say rebuilt engine, does that include heads rebuilt also? Any clue on what kind of oil pressure your running? Is the noise left or right bank prominent??? Get me some good information and lets take it from there.

Bill

Maddogs700srx
09-19-2006, 07:08 AM
I am still working on the details for the rebiuld. I know it has new everything from pistons to cams. The heads were checked and found to be good. The ticking is mostly at the lower rpm's. It does however, come and go. When the car is cold its the loudest. I have dome the screwdriver thing and it seems to be in the intake which makes no sence to me. It doens't seem that there could be anything mechanical in there to make the noise. For some reason if you leave the car idleing, when the fan comes on it seems to almost dissapear. I'm having the o2 sensors replaced today as the garage said that they are bad. The local Ford dealership even looked at it and said that they have no idea.

Maddogs700srx
09-21-2006, 06:55 AM
What is the deal with the reed type valves in the intake?

jsnake
09-29-2006, 06:52 AM
If you are talking about the butterfly plates that are controlled by a cable. That is the IMRC ( intake manifold runner control ), They close off half of the intake till the engine reaches 3200 rpm. They are for better mixing at lower rpm's.

99blackcobra
10-24-2006, 10:05 AM
That would be a head problem. IF you rebuilt the head adjust the valves. If not you have a poblem with either the valves or rockers.