PDA

View Full Version : New Gears

ggrab
09-19-2006, 08:55 AM
After a lot of reasearch and debate, I finally decided to do my own gear installation this past weekend. I put a set of 3.73 gears in my '94. It was challenging for sure, but very satisfying to know that I did it myself. I had to remove and re-install the carrier 4 times until I finally hit the correct shim combination that gave me an acceptable backlash measurement. I ended up with the backlash set at .0105. The acceptable range is .008 to .012, so I was pretty happy with that result. So far I do not hear any noise from the rear at all. I ran the car on the jack stands for about 10 minutes for the initial break-in and since then I have taken four 3-5 mile cruises, letting the rear cool in between each run. It's really tempting to hammer on it right away, but 'm trying to break it in properly first.

On another post I mentioned that I had received a mixture of Koyo and Timken bearings in the Ring & Pinion Installation kit. I was not exactly thrilled about the Koyo bearings because they have not necessairly been known to be up to Timken standards in the past. It turns out that when I removed the original rear pinion bearing, it was a Koyo. That was the first time I have ever found a non-Timken bearing on a Ford product. It made me feel a little better about using the Koyo bearing from the kit.

For anyone else thinking about tacklng this job, you need to be prepared to spend a good number of hours and to possibly borrow a number of tools. I always think that I have quite a few tools until I go to do something like this. I had to borrow a dial indicator and magnetic base from my machinist friend, an inch-pound torque wrench from the truck shop at work, and a press and pullers from my neighbor. It never hurts to have friends who have more tools than you do!

dewone
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Good to hear you managed to get them in yourself. It is satisfing to do your own work, and you know it's done right. Let us know if you feel the gains from the swap.

Big Daddy
09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Good to hear you managed to get them in yourself. It is satisfing to do your own work, and you know it's done right. Let us know if you feel the gains from the swap.

WWWEEEELLLL, for some of us it's the other way around. It's better to pay a professional than do it yourself because that way you know it was done right! Not that all "professionals" ARE professional, just that I was blessed with two left hands. You know people who can't dance have two left feet well..... I have two left hands!

I'm impressed ggrab that you were able to do it yourself. Gears are not what I would call a do it yourself project for most shade tree mechanics! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ggrab
09-24-2006, 11:25 PM
I've finally started driving the car hard again. The difference in the seat of the pants feel of the car is amazing, but then that's what I expected. It still sounds good (no noise) and seems to be just fine. Thanks for the positive replies.