PDA

View Full Version : Strut Tower Brace

Evilcartman
09-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey guys, I thought I would just post this up. Nick (Archangel) has a Kenny Brown strut tower brace for sale. I think it was on a '99 Cobra.

Admiral
09-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Why use one? Just extra weight over the nose. :cool:

Arch Angel
09-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Why use one? Just extra weight over the nose. :cool:Errrrrr...

bat-stang
09-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Why use one? Just extra weight over the nose. :cool:Actually, the weight is negligible. The added structural rigidity that adds to more precise steering not to mention better frame strength--even in the event of an accident far outweighs the added weight. ANY unibody can reap the advantage of added strength and the geometry enhancing advantages of a strut brace, subframe connectors and even a rear shock tower brace. Not opinion--proven information. These items made noticeable improvements on the street for me in three of my mustangs over the years. Admiral, even the cars that you have had options of the strut brace, and the export brace--or Monte Carlo bar in your old school pony.
:thumbsup:

Firme
09-23-2006, 04:34 PM
bat-stang, Admiral is just goofing around.... he is American Iron racer

this is his old car before a certain SCMC member bought it :D

http://www.americanironracing.com/images/profiles/16.jpg
Another pic (http://americanironracing.com/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/90.jpg)

Admiral
09-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Actually, I'm not goofing but I am talking about race cars not street cars so I am nitpicking.

The oft-spouted advantages of a STB are non-existent for a unibody on the race track IMHO (unless you have a convertible but you have other significant chassis issues if racing a vert lol). I'd love to see the tech on exactly how an STB adds "more precise steering" or "better frame strength"; especially since according to the post it is "proven information". In fact, I'd love to see/read/hear how it doesn't actually HURT steering by transferring load across to the opposite strut tower and inducing positive camber in that wheel????

Please share the tech and I'll be happy to pass it along to the structural engineers over at cc.com for their friendly opinion. Until then, my opinion is that it is extra weight that is up high and over the nose that I don't need.

YMMV. :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
09-23-2006, 06:05 PM
To help with Mikes comments, Carrol Shelby did not add any strengthening to the bodies of the original race AC Cobras. He wanted the twisting of the body to add grip to the outside wheel in cornering. His comments were on the tv show Supercars, which comes on the discovery channel occasionally :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
09-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Happy reading....

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448&page=3

gtdrivr
09-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Interesting reading. Now I have a (semi) related question. What are the opinions about the rear shock tower braces? I have been looking at them to stiffen up the rear of the ragtop.

bat-stang
09-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Dudes, just hand me my sign...I usually get most of my information from those corner-carver guys, Griggs racing and Maximum motorsport--I have no racing experience at all. I figure if someone has already invented the wheel then why shouldn't I use credible information... I think that now I will remove my strut bar, subs and six point and get ready for the body cracks...:D That was some interesting reading, 03 Cobra toy. Besides trying to help, the last thing I would want to do is go get roasted on cc.com! I just figured that the Admiral was throwing out an ignorant response to what I presumed to be an obvious help to the fox chassis. I have had several Mustangs that have cracks in the rear a pillar, where the top is sweated on, that once the chassis was stiffened (and the repair made to the crack) they didn't reappear. Wasn't trying to challenge your credibility. Also, I misread your signature; I translated what you have into a '66 289 Mustang, not COBRA--which I know did not have a stb. Are we cool , now?:thumbsup:

Oh, I have seen the 'friendly' converstions at cc.com--that's why I read-not join--WAY over my head.

Admiral
09-23-2006, 07:27 PM
My apologies, I reread my post and the tone is not appropriate. Sorry for that.

I'm not a structural expert, I drink from the grape kool-aid fountain quite often. I have a pile of STB's in the garage and my current opinion is that while they do little to improve handling on my 95GTS. Your experience/opinon may be different.

Subframe connectors, on the other hand, have helped my cars quite a bit. :)

bat-stang
09-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Admiral, I am looking forward to meeting you sometime--you appear to very integritous.

Batman

Admiral
09-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Me too, first cold drink is on me. You going to the SCMC on track event in November? Hopefully we can meet up there, I really enjoy weekends at the track.

I promise I'm not nearly as tall or smart or tough in person and I sometimes act on the Internet lol. :thumbsup:

bat-stang
09-23-2006, 07:59 PM
That weekend coincides with an already scheduled event that my family paticipates in...my friend and I had already set our budget for the MSR when we checked the calender. But we'll meet at one of the Club events.:D

Firme
09-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Dudes, just hand me my sign...I usually get most of my information from those corner-carver guys,

I simply posted that about Mike as to say he isn't a newby.

Don't feel bad. Sometimes, there is no right answer... different scenarios call for different measuress.. there is more than one way to skin a cat.

On the street, my car felt fine with conventional springs. Then I put on my front coil-overs and no STB for a few months. It was ok, but something felt off. I put my STB on finally, and the thing that felt "off" went away and the car felt more sure footed. It felt less like the whole chassy was absorbing bumps, and now the coil-over were actually working on their own. Last year when I had to take the engine out, the STB came off. And me having SO MUCH TIME in the world (sarcasm) haven't put the STB back on since I want to get some different mounting hardware for it. Guess what, it has felt off ever since. It might not be the best way of doing it, but it fits my taste. As they say your mileage may vary, different driving style and skill may require different arsenal, mine is a street car, and my skill is no where near honed.

03 cobra toy
09-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Ok guys for the record...I have both front and rear STB.

I don't think any BENT STB can help the shock towers (ST) from moving in or pushing out the other side. On a stock Mustang the spring force is at the K-member and not on the strut tower. The only pressure at the ST is from the strut and there is no way a front strut is going to move the ST.

The reason I have them on my car is to add more metal to the ST and maybe help transfer the coil-over loads better. I have the Kenny Brown STB and the 1/4 " plate bolts under the caster camber plates. Does it help ? Who knows?

Just my $.02 :thumbsup:

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/showownerpic.ten-u-3874-n-88501-pos-2

Admiral
09-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Well said guys, instead of putting my foot into my mouth I should have said that while I believe the STB makes the car more RIGID (which is good for helping with chassis flex, longevity and NVH issues), it doesn't always make the car handle better IMO.

So for all my words all I've managed to really do is:

a.) mess up a thread about a part for sale
b.) show my backside
c.) confuse the issue further

Well, that's about enough damage for one day lol.

03 cobra toy
09-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Well said guys, instead of putting my foot into my mouth I should have said that while I believe the STB makes the car more RIGID (which is good for helping with chassis flex, longevity and NVH issues), it doesn't always make the car handle better IMO.

So for all my words all I've managed to really do is:

a.) mess up a thread about a part for sale
b.) show my backside
c.) confuse the issue further

Well, that's about enough damage for one day lol.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: It's a good thing WE didn't do this on CC...

Just keeping it at the top :D

Hey MOD will you clean this post up please !

Admiral
09-23-2006, 09:19 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: It's a good thing WE didn't do this on CC...

Just keeping it at the top :D

Hey MOD will you clean this post up please !

Thanks David, you've been most helpful LOL.

Bell posted again, "Cleanup on aisle 4 please." :D

bat-stang
09-23-2006, 11:39 PM
You guys are awesome! I personally think this was cleaned up on page one!:thumbsup:

I hadn't even thought about coilover loads--my biggest concern with mine was to make sure I had a beefy enough c/c plate with the right bolts. I know that we are way off topic with this (as opposed to the 'my friends' got a part for sale') but I would like to here some feedback on this STB topic where it involves items like the coilovers, tubular k-members and such. I have Maximums' STB but I have UPR's front suspension-k-mem, lca's, coilovers: my car used to be a drag car before I bought it (hence the UPR stuff-which works well). I know the loading of the car is different on the road, and multiplied on the road course, as opposed to the drag strip. I hope the mods don't make us start a new thread.:D

SuperG
09-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Speaking of the STB use in a convertible, I just re-installed my STB and I feel a lot more sure footed at higher speeds.

Levi
09-25-2006, 10:57 AM
If you’re in doubt don't ask any technical question on this site or you will end up doing what you should have not done in the first place. What I thought I knew I needed to do, is now unknown to me. j/k, I think. :cool:

03 cobra toy
09-25-2006, 11:09 AM
If you’re in doubt don't ask any technical question on this site or you will end up doing what you should have not done in the first place. What I thought I knew I needed to do, is now unknown to me. j/k, I think. :cool:

That's some funny $hit :rotf:

Arch Angel
09-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Now that we have cleared that up, it's for sale for $55. If someone knows someone that would buy it this week, I will give you a $10 referral fee.