PDA

View Full Version : H&R Sport Springs - Problem?

RaciNUT
10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi All -

Been awhile since my last post... Still kickin tho!

Anyhow - I bought and had installed a set of H&R Sport Springs and Tokico Strut/Shocks for the 99 with IRS.

I had a local shop install them today and even though the springs state a 1.5 to 1.6 drop, I am seeing something weird! It is dark or I would snap a picture of it... Anyhow, the back is REAL LOW - looks like a 2-3 inch drop! The rear is squatting like there is a 200 pound box in the trunk, but the front seems about right.

I wanted to get a level look out of it but it looks more like it is loaded down in the back.

Has anyone experienced this - is there a solution?

Thanks

FST ORNG
10-05-2006, 08:56 AM
I know it's a stupid question but are you sure they didn't put front springs on the rear ? I just installed my H&R race springs and had no problem , call and talk to chris at MM , he suggested I not go with the Sport series due to the extra weight on my 04 Cobra .....he said the sport spring was designed with the 99 cobra in mind and the weight on the 03/04 were alittle more heavy ! Hope this helps !

blk04cobra1
10-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey man, feel free to swing out by the shop and let us take a look at them...we might be able to help you out...if you want, call me on my cell 704-363-6497.

Torrey

RaciNUT
10-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Geez - Your right around the corner! I'm in Mint Hill...

One of those Shoulda-Coulda-Woulda deals...

Anyhow, I left a message on your number listed above - While i am there I also want to get the beast up on a Dyno and get a baseline before tune, pulleys, etc.

Give me a buzz when you get a chance - or post your hours on here and I will swing in. Are you at the Old monroe location?

Thanks

Mark

blk04cobra1
10-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Mark, I think Will called you back...if he didnt, give me a ring on my cell #704-363-6497

RaciNUT
10-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi -

Yes, I spoke to Will this afternoon. I am going to swing by the shop in the morning. I did have the chance to take some pictures now though... The more I look at it, the less it looks too low! I am still going to swing through your shop in the morning though - I want to double-check, and there is a small laundry list of Mods I want to get moving on...

I was trying to find a website for your business and coudn't find one... Do you have one?

Thanks, Mark

http://www.maverick-music.com/mark/car1.jpg

http://www.maverick-music.com/mark/car2.jpg

RaciNUT
10-05-2006, 06:16 PM
I know it's a stupid question but are you sure they didn't put front springs on the rear ? I just installed my H&R race springs and had no problem , call and talk to chris at MM , he suggested I not go with the Sport series due to the extra weight on my 04 Cobra .....he said the sport spring was designed with the 99 cobra in mind and the weight on the 03/04 were alittle more heavy ! Hope this helps !
LOL - Yeah, that was actually the first thing I thought about and checked. I think the next thing I did was open the trunk to see if a mechanic left his toolbox in there! :-)

blk04cobra1
10-05-2006, 09:20 PM
It doesnt look too bad, we could always throw some isolaters in the rear and put it back up a bit...

website: www.mmperformanceonline.com (http://www.mmperformanceonline.com)

RaciNUT
10-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Well - I went by the shop and spoke to Will today... He acknowledged that something is definitely wrong... the car is squatting an inch lower than it should be.

I have to get on the phone with the shop that did the original install and find out what they are going to for me to make it right... I just dropped a large sum of cash into their pocket and I am not thrilled with them.

Its a bad catch-22... I want it done right, and I dont want them touching it again... but I doubt if they will give me my change back if I dont at least have a talk with them about it all first. (The spring & shock install, along with the alignment WHICH IS WRONG, was more than $500.00) I also had them throw on a set of Kuhmos for the winter... so the bill was just over a grand when I drove away scraping the ground and drivin sideways due to the rears being out of alingment!

Anyhow - I am going to climb up under the car this weekend and look to see if I can find anything obviously wrong with it. No Isolators, installed wrong in perch, basically anything I can hope to find, without having to bring it back to them again.

I heard Will mention that the H&R print on the spring was facing out toward the outside of the car and could be read through the spokes of the rim, I assume this was correct in regard to the position of the spring in the perch.

I should have known immediately when I picked up the car and told me they had to get a special tool (Spring Compressor) to get the springs out - I was in trouble!!

Incidentally - the shop that did the work has been in business more than 20 years in my small town and they do all the work for a company that I run the e-commerce website for. I didnt think they were hacks...

Thanks again for the right direction on this - I have an appointment back at your place on Tuesday to make sure it is all done correctly and taken down the road for a proper alignment.

BTW - The GTO in the shop today was wild!! What kind of numbers did it turn on the dyno?

Thanks again,

Mark

blk04cobra1
10-06-2006, 07:29 PM
good deal Mark, we'll see you on Tuesday and get you taken care of...:thumbsup:

btw--GTO made 352rwhp and 341tq

RaciNUT
10-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Nice numbers!!

I am ready to start with some mods myself... time to get some more power to the ground!!

I cannot go for the SC until my ford motor warranty goes away - but that shouldnt hold me back from a few other things.

I have the JLT CAI & Catback Flows - but I think I may take up the suggestion from Will and go for a set of long tubes with an O/R pipe. I really (OK REALLY) want it to be LOUD - so I am thinking of the SLP loudmouths as well.

Exhaust - Gears - lets see - what else can I do on a budget?

I am a website developer, specializing in e-commerce and search engine positioning - you guys have any need for a custom site? Maybe you have some used parts lying around? Willing to barter a site for some work?

OK - I'm done beggin... LOL - can you ball park any of the work above? I was thinking 4.11 gears. (Seat of the pants power) and of course the full exhaust makeover.
Thanks again...

Mark

blk04cobra1
10-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Mark...im sure we might be able to work some kind of a deal out...

I'll shoot you a PM with pricing...

RaciNUT
10-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey Torrey -

Thanks for the PM - Ive still not climbed under the car yet today to figure out the spring issue... :eek: the valued benefit of working from home is that you can never get away from it! LOL I still hope it is something very basic...

I think I will just go ahead and have the gear swap done while you all have the car on Tuesday this coming week. Since it will be up on the lift and the wheels will be off - why not... right? Do you guys stock the parts or should I swing in Monday to take care of anything?

I drive around town 90% of the time, but do use the car for an occasional highway trip to SC or farther - will the 4.10's be a bad choice? I DO NOT care about gas mileage - I can use the wifes car if that gets important.

Thanks again for all the help - Wish I had looked before jumping!
You guys tell me what works best in regard to the car being out of commission - I have several people coming into town this week for the NASCAR race and cant be without it. If I need to put it all off for a week, I can do that also.

Mark

RaciNUT
10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Just want to throw a BIG THANKS to Will and Torrey from MM... The original shop did a hack job on the spring install which was pretty easily fixed by them!!

Even got a baseline on the Dyno - and a mild tune before I head off to start some mods!!

Honestly - gotta give a 5-star rating to both of them, they explained everything and taught me a few things in the process!

See ya next week for the gear swap!!

Check your PM later also in regard to some other stuff we were talking about..

Thanks,

Mark

blk04cobra1
10-10-2006, 06:28 PM
no problem Mark, happy to help...:thumbsup: